A&F catches heat for their thongs designed for kids

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Fucntionality reasoning aside (i.e., hiding panty lines) I must be one of the few guys who doesn't find songs all that sexy. First, it just seems a little gross and uncomfortable. If a woman's primary reason for wearing those is an effort to try and be sexy, then to me she's trying too hard. Most girls I've talked to said they really don't like wearing them instead of normal panties. They just feel like they have to at times because it's expected. If you have to sacrifice your own comfort by cramming a thin piece of material up your a$$ just to please someone else then to me that someone else isn't worth the effort. Now, I certainly don't object to being able to see a nice female derriere, but I personally like to leave just a LITTLE bit to the imagination. It's not as if most bikini panties (especially the kind with the spaghetti straps on the side which are my personal favorites) cover all that much anyway.

As for the thongs for kids . . . I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. They can try and justify it with whatever BS doubletalk they want, but the fact of the matter is that A&F is simply trying to indoctrinate (for lack of a better word) a younger audience into their more adult-oriented products in the hopes of getting them hooked even earlier. Or they could be doing this just to cause the type of stir that will people talking (like we're doing now.) Kids don't need to worry about panty lines. They need something comfortable and functional. Kids are always picking their underwear out of their butts as is. Thongs are the last thing they need.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I always wondered about the ass-floss.
Never actually bothered to ask about it though. I guess they are what I thought, uncomfortable.

I don't think it's wrong to sell them, especially if you're taking the kids to the beach, you might want them for your kids. But the marketing and to put those words on the thongs itself is just wrong. It's as if they are <U>hinting</U> at something...

<--- would never buy another A&F piece of clothing again.

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
My GF shrugged and said, "so she buys it thinking she's all grown up and cool. Then she has underwear up her as$ and she's mad."

I don't really have an opinion either. Kids like to play dress-up.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
My wife wears nothing but thongs.:D
I put a pair on one day, they are definetley not for MEN or for underage women.

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
My wife wears nothing but thongs.:D
I put a pair on one day, they are definetley not for MEN or for underage women.

Uhh.....too much information.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I think thongs are tacky, personally. I'm fond of the simple Hanes Her Way variety :)

And, I'm tired of this mixed message society gives us/kids: pedophiles are the Devil, but let's sexualize kids through the media and such as often as we can. We need a unified, clear voice on this: leave the kids alone, period. It's illegal to advertise tobaco products and alcohol to kids, so why should it be legal to encourage them to get laid and get AIDS? I am reminded of the marketing study the RIAA did a few years back that led to the likes of Eminem and all the wonderful messages he sent to the youth of America.

Sorry, if I sound too simple, but that's often what happens when you ask a conservative.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
ROTFL...

Imagine a society where men were encouraged to wear thongs and have all their nether-hair ripped out with hot wax!

Strangely enough, the thought is putting a smile on my face... :Q

(BTW, hi GTAudiophile. I'd say I'm pretty moderate (maybe even a bit left of center) but I also see your point. :) )

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Isla
Imagine a society where men were encouraged to wear thongs and have all their nether-hair ripped out with hot wax!

You mean my gay friends?

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
While you all are at it, don't forget to protest this:

Recently however, their true intentions were revealed. With the release of "Larry, The Singing and Dancing Cucumber" toy just a few weeks ago, it's become quite clear that the Veggie Tales Corporation is involved in a more sinister agenda.

TheOmegaCode

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2001
A&F might be stupid, but guess what? Sex sells, and in a capitalist society buisnesses are out to make money! I'm not bad mouthing capitalism, but there are plenty of con's that go with the pro's. I personally don't think this is any worse than marketing T-Shirts that say flirt, or pants that say cute on the ass... I think that children today are much more sexual than children 30 years ago. I'm afraid the ball's already started rolling, and that it will be difficult to stop...
I was infuriated the other day when my aunt bought a bikini for her 4 month old daughter...

Jul 1, 2000
You are not old enough at 7 to have an ass worth showing off yet.

No mom would want to show off her kid's ass at 7... except Patsy Ramsey...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
What about the shorts that teen and younger girls that have "cheer" and other sayings printed on the back.

I feel like a perv for looking at a young girl's bottom when all I'm doing is reading the message.

srvblues00

May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: IslaBTW... I tried to wear a thong once when I went mountain biking. I didn't want panty lines showing on my bike shorts.

At the end of the ride, I felt like my rear had been sawed in half.

Don't know if you know this or not, but you are not supposed to wear anything under bike shorts for that reason. I do a ton of biking (this summer, I am riding across the US), and I would never consider wearing anything under my shorts.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Thongs on 10 year olds is just wrong.

On women of age of consent, I actually dig panty lines. I helps me imagine, if you know whaaaaat I meeeeannn. :D

like how he thinks

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Don't know if you know this or not, but you are not supposed to wear anything under bike shorts for that reason. I do a ton of biking (this summer, I am riding across the US), and I would never consider wearing anything under my shorts.

LOL, I know it now! Too bad I had to learn the hard way. :p

We used to go off road every weekend and it only took me one time to figure it out. It was like a rope burn... I could barely walk for days...

BTW, hope you have a good ride. Once our kids are old enough to do without us for a while, we plan on taking a biking holiday ourselves. :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Knowing A&F, they'll be charging $30 for a thong that covers 4 square inches of skin. You have to have some serious mental issues in the first place to drop the $$ on them.

srvblues00

May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Isla

LOL, I know it now! Too bad I had to learn the hard way. :p

We used to go off road every weekend and it only took me one time to figure it out. It was like a rope burn... I could barely walk for days...

BTW, hope you have a good ride. Once our kids are old enough to do without us for a while, we plan on taking a biking holiday ourselves. :)

hehe yeah it doesn't take long, huh? :) I do about the same amount of riding on road and off road. It's a toss up as to which one I like better.

I can't wait to get started this summer! I start in San Francisco on June 8th and I will end on July 30th in Portsmouth, NH. 3800 miles in 52 days. I am going to try update my website every few nights with pictures, etc. (www.binaryweb.com) if at all possible. I am taking my laptop and digital cam, so most likely it won't be a problem.