A&F catches heat for their thongs designed for kids

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Link

Saw this at phatwallet..interestingly, every single reply was negative in nature towards them. I personally dont give a damm, they are only sexual if you think of them that way.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Well thongs are meant to accentuate the female caboose so they are sexual to begin with.

But thats just me...:p

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Well thongs are meant to accentuate the female caboose so they are sexual to begin with.
Actually, I think the sexual part is extra and they are generally used to hide a panty line.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Lucky
Link

Saw this at phatwallet..interestingly, every single reply was negative in nature towards them. I personally dont give a damm, they are only sexual if you think of them that way.

Do thongs really feel that comfortable compared to regular underwear... any women want to comment?

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001

<< Last year, the company caught ire from parents over its quarterly catalog, which was filled with models who appeared to be college age or younger in the nude, kissing and fondling each other.
>>

Whohoo!!

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8
Actually, I think the sexual part is extra and they are generally used to hide a panty line.

well, that occured to me, but think about it: if girls wanted to hide their panty lines, why would they pretty much go out of their way to reveal their thongs when they are wearing low-cut pants? you probably know what im talking about, girls with their pants hanging halfway down their ass and their pink thong staring back at you.....mmm, gotta go

:D

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Gotta love the good ol' sexually-repressed USA.. Next thing you know, Congress will legislate that all women must wear burqas..

Tangerine

Jul 25, 2001
I said it at FW and I'll say it here. That is just wrong, 10 yr old little girls aren't worried about panty lines, the morons at A&F are just trying to market thongs that say "wink wink" on them to all the Brittney wannabe's and I think it's terrible.

Maybe because I have 2 daughters I feel a little differently than most of you, but that's my opinion.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
"sexually repressed"???

Since when is it ok for a 7-year old girl to be sexual?

This is disgusting. And I'll bet that every rational parent feels the same way.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thongs on 10 year olds is just wrong.

On women of age of consent, I actually dig panty lines. I helps me imagine, if you know whaaaaat I meeeeannn. :D

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000

While I understand what you are saying, I believe everyone is "sexual" from the day they are born. Even little kids. Now how that is manifested or displayed is another story; but I firmly believe that we should not deny that even children are sexual. Thats not neccesarily dirty, as I said, it depends how it is exhibited.

<---sure to get flamed for that.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Lucky

While I understand what you are saying, I believe everyone is "sexual" from the day they are born. Even little kids. Now how that is manifested or displayed is another story; but I firmly believe that we should not deny that even children are sexual. Thats not neccesarily dirty, as I said, it depends how it is exhibited.

<---sure to get flamed for that.

Here's an interesting link on the subject: Kuro5hin

Yes, we are all sexual, and it's an integral part of who we are. (No, I'm not advocating that it's ok to go have sex with children, let's just get that straight right now. But we're not asexual until our 18th birthday, when all of a sudden we're sexually mature, either.)

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Here's an interesting link on the subject: Kuro5hin

Yes, we are all sexual, and it's an integral part of who we are. (No, I'm not advocating that it's ok to go have sex with children, let's just get that straight right now. But we're not asexual until our 18th birthday, when all of a sudden we're sexually mature, either.)

Im glad someone agrees with me.

Thank you for the link, I dont have time to read it thourougly at the moment but I did bookmark it. I skimmed it and there seems to be some decently intelligent discussion there.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
If the mother or older sister in the house is wearing them, then you can bet the 6-14 year old girl will want a pair also...
It's underwear for god's sake, what's the big deal? There is nothing overtly sexual in a pubescent girl wanting to wear something like this... there is however a good deal of sexual posturing. She would be emulating her peers or role models... that's human (and especially little girl) nature. She will also want to wear the popular dress or pants or shirt or bookbag that all the other kid's are.... it's human nature... part of the tribe... what's the big deal.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Well, my oldest daughter is a teenager and up until very recently, she thought they were gross. And now, like me, she still doesn't like them much... I'm sorry, but I'll go commando before I'll wear buttfloss. Sure, they are sexy... but they really are NOT that comfortable. You have to get used to wearing them. You DO feel the strap up your crack, and it is... a bit uncomfortable.

Kids are more interested in being comfortable so they can play, not in having sexy, 'cool' underwear. I mean, real kids don't give a crap about underwear! I highly doubt kids under 12 will have any interest at all in these thongs.

This is interesting...

Calling it the "modern-day version of Underoos," a national clothing company is selling thong underwear in children's sizes - with the words "eye candy" and "wink wink" printed on the front.

Modern day version of Underoos my ass. It's pedophile fodder, pure and simple. Don't give me that 'kids are sexual too' thing. Of course they are sexual... in a kid way. Not in an adult way. There is a difference between 'show me yours and I'll show you mine' and 'playing doctor' and the way adults interact sexually. Thongs are an adult expression of sexuality but even more so, they are a reflection of our society's emphasis on an idealised version of female beauty.

Let me put it too you this way: Putting your little girl in a thong would be the equivalent of putting her in a corset back in Victorian times. Why on earth would you do that to a kid? Kids shouldn't have to put up with culture's unreasonable expectations of 'beauty'.

And agree with me or not... I've been a young girl, I have young girls, am no prude by any means and I still think this is, if nothing else, an incredibly stupid idea that won't sell. Remember, Moms by their little kids underwear. Moms are not going to buy this, and if they do, they are Jon Benet Ramsey's parents... you know, those "Tiny Beauty Pageant' kinds of people. *shudder*

Edit:

BTW... I tried to wear a thong once when I went mountain biking. I didn't want panty lines showing on my bike shorts.

At the end of the ride, I felt like my rear had been sawed in half.

Thongs are not for anything other than looking hot.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not a parent, but I agree w/ Isla and others who have expressed their disgust.

Even if it were to hide a panty line, why else does a woman want to hide a panty line other than to remain aesthetically congruous? Since when does a child worry about such things? On the other side, thongs at least have the perception of intent to excite men. Again, why should a *child* be thinking about that?

If thongs were exceptionally comfortable, I could probably understand, but Isla and every other woman I've known has indicated that this "butt floss" is far from comfortable.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
To hide panty lines my ass. There is no way they put "eye candy" on thong underwear for a kid just for decoration, I would seriously question any moms who would buy this for their daughters. My daughter has the latest clothes, and is in style, but that would be over my dead body. Someone needs a kick in the ass over this one, and if they are using this to encourage sales, I hope they go out of business asap.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Aren't there some tiny women out there that would/could wear these?

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
LOL, wearing a thong is like choosing to have a permanent wedgie!

If they were marketed to boys, they would be used as slingshots. :p

But seriously... yeah, so this is where are culture is heading. Sad, really.

If you love your girls, let them know that they don't have to be "Eye Candy" to be cool or to be valued.