A euphemism for "mentally retarded people"

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
I personally don't think there needs to be one, but just in case I don't offend anybody in my English class, I need to sugar coat that word.

Anyone know of any? BTW, this word or words has to be in my essay's title, so it can't be "slow people" or "special people" or anything of the sort.

Also, who thinks I should just keep it as "mentally retarded people" or "mentally retarded persons"

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Using retarded once in the title is probably acceptable. Saying retarded many times when other words could be used pretty much shows you have an agenda of some kind.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
You could just say something like "mentally handicapped", I think that will still get the point across.

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
My mom, and my best friends mother both taught special education. I have heard them use "Mentally Retarded" in their normal everyday language. I do believe the correct terminology now (correct me if I am wrong) is "Mentally Challenged People" or "Mentally Handicapped People."

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
people like brevity...they have important places to be etc...retarded and special usually work and thus it some very long-standing connotations. In the end it is simply an approximation of how far behind they are with respect to the norm.

It also depends on your own usage of the worm. Retard is fine if you are serious about it.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
The word "retarded" is fine. Yes, people use it to make fun of others, but the word itself has a clear meaning and it is appropriate for describing the condition.

Edit: I was all like leaving out words and stuffs.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
The word "retarded" is fine. Yes, people use to make fun of others, but the word itself has a clear meaning and it is appropriate for describing the condition.

I agree with the snake.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Welcome to Retardation, A Celebration. I'm Wilford Brimley. Now, let's dispell some rumors. One, retards don't rule the night. They don't rule it. Nobody does. Two, they may not be as strong as apes, but don't look them in the eye. It might make them go into berserker mode. They'll come at you like a whirling dervish of fists and elbows. And you may be saying 'No, no, no', but all they hear is 'Who wants cake?' and trust me, they all do. They all want cake.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
The word "retarded" is fine. Yes, people use it to make fun of others, but the word itself has a clear meaning and it is appropriate for describing the condition.

Brutus04

Jul 30, 2007
mentally challenged?, developmentally delayed? Intellectual disability... Mentally retarded is no longer used in the community.
If you are OUTSIDE the community, tardo always works...just kiddin'

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Pat Healy: Really, it's only a side thing for my true passion.
Mary: And what's that?
Pat Healy: I work with retards.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Mental Retardation is fine.

It's literal and accurate. To Retard is stop or hold back. Since it is the mind that is literally retarding (well...retarded) it's about as accurate as can be.

OP - I encourage you to use the English language to the best of it's ability for an English class to describe without worry of "offending". If you get any flack report it to your local news channels.