A Democrat just won the governorship in KY

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Like everybody expects Mitch to win easily in a presidential year with Trump on the ticket so it reveals some twitchiness that it even needs to be claimed...

That bar is so low that the Trump campaign's hopes of competing in Oregon and New Mexico might as well be a jump to Alpha Centauri.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I didn’t realize that AG was a separate election (with no incumbent since Beshear left.) A Republican won that one.
Not only did a Republican handily win the AG slot, but the candidate is a Trump supporter who is also the first African American to hold the AG office in KY.

It’s as if local election results don’t always support national political narratives.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not only did a Republican handily win the AG slot, but the candidate is a Trump supporter who is also the first African American to hold the AG office in KY.

It’s as if local election results don’t always support national political narratives.
Don't know this guy but the tell if he is an honest broker, did he make any public statements after Charlottesville.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

At about half Trump's 2016 margin though. The SOS race was a lot closer as well (5 points). The GOP did well down ballot but it seems the statewide offices are by no means out of contention for the Ds.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So I turned to F&F so see how they are spinning last night. They've moved on about homeless people in Democratic cities. One guess claimed the homeless have a unique effect on climate!

I quickly turned it off.

I saw a clip where the F&F clowns repeated Trump’s lie that the Republican was down 20 points before Trump saved him and then they showed the map and emphasized how most of the land area was red.

Lol.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

They often do though, and there’s a decent case this one did. Republican candidates were performing between 10 and 20 points worse than Trump did in 2016, which should be a very alarming result for Republicans.

It’s like how in 2017 and 2018 Republicans still won most of the special elections and conservatives tried to delude themselves into thinking everything was okay because they were still winning. They didn’t take notice of the fact that those elections took place in super red areas and their margins had dramatically shrunk. It should have set off alarms everywhere but it didn’t and what happened? They got obliterated.

This is just a couple of elections in a couple of states in an odd year so we certainly shouldn’t take too much from this but if I’m a Republican I would look at these results with alarm.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
They often do though, and there’s a decent case this one did. Republican candidates were performing between 10 and 20 points worse than Trump did in 2016, which should be a very alarming result for Republicans.

It’s like how in 2017 and 2018 Republicans still won most of the special elections and conservatives tried to delude themselves into thinking everything was okay because they were still winning. They didn’t take notice of the fact that those elections took place in super red areas and their margins had dramatically shrunk. It should have set off alarms everywhere but it didn’t and what happened? They got obliterated.

This is just a couple of elections in a couple of states in an odd year so we certainly shouldn’t take too much from this but if I’m a Republican I would look at these results with alarm.
The GOP establishment hasn’t turned on Trump because it hasn’t hurt them in elections. This happening in McConnell’s backyard will probably be enough for Senate Republicans to start suddenly supporting impeachment.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Look... while reality tv shows are very popular, funny, and entertaining, after awhile people lose interest in the same-o same-o week after week.
Donald trump was funny and entertaining... for awhile, but obviously fans are losing interest in the Trump insanity week after week.
It’s getting old.
In Kentucky it was Time to change the channel.
This race had nothing to do with the governor, it was all about Donald Trump.
Donald insisted on that. He always does.....
Now, if Democrats can get their shit together and come up with a viable presidential candidate, Democrats can win the Whitehouse too.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/same-old-same-old

Thank a teacher;)

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Don't know this guy but the tell if he is an honest broker, did he make any public statements after Charlottesville.
Doubtful. Speaking of honest brokers, I haven’t seen much of an outcry against those who used Uncle Tom attacks against Cameron.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Doubtful. Speaking of honest brokers, I haven’t seen much of an outcry against those who used Uncle Tom attacks against Cameron.

Must've missed your thread about it.

A good amount of info here

Here's an opinion piece that seems right up your alley.

forgot to include this one, and I generally agree with this reporter's take on this particular cartoon:

But I thought the most thought-provoking reaction to Pett’s cartoon came from Louisville Courier-Journal political reporter Phillip Bailey, who is black and covers the nearly all-white political scene of Kentucky. He said on Twitter: “My issue with the cartoon is that it conveys how the burden of calling out racism is for black folk exclusively.” As he pointed out, other Kentucky politicians like Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Rand Paul and Andy Barr have stronger relationships to Trump, so why not show them hanging on his KKK robe? Bailey has also scolded gubernatorial candidate Andy Beshear for failing to decry Trump’s treatment of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Omar and Tlaib.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starbuck1975

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Like everybody expects Mitch to win easily in a presidential year with Trump on the ticket so it reveals some twitchiness that it even needs to be claimed...

That bar is so low that the Trump campaign's hopes of competing in Oregon and New Mexico might as well be a jump to Alpha Centauri.
The locals are not going allow Mitch to have an easy win.
9345631.jpg

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

How would that statement go? I know nazi's hate jews, but i'm black so no biggie?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Bevin hasn't conceded yet though, right? I doubt this is going to end "easily"

Jan 25, 2011
The margin is less than 5,000 after 1.4M votes. There's no automatic recount in Kentucky but he could request precinct canvas their votes to check their vote tallies add up. He'd have to go to court for a full recount and win.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I didn’t realize that AG was a separate election (with no incumbent since Beshear left.) A Republican won that one.

Well, since AGs and their office are now the personal law firms for their head of state (in this case, the governor of Kentucky), the new gov can demand that his new personal AG drop everything relevant to the people and state of Kentucky, and investigate the shit out of #MoscowMitch for whatever reason he tells him to.

Feb 4, 2009
The margin is less than 5,000 after 1.4M votes. There's no automatic recount in Kentucky but he could request precinct canvas their votes to check their vote tallies add up. He'd have to go to court for a full recount and win.

The scary part is after the canvassing recount is if enough election boards agree there are inconsistencies it goes to a judge who does a recount and decided, the state legislature can contest the judges findings and decide the winner.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The GOP establishment hasn’t turned on Trump because it hasn’t hurt them in elections. This happening in McConnell’s backyard will probably be enough for Senate Republicans to start suddenly supporting impeachment.

turnout was also up something like 50% in KY compared to the previous Gubernatorial election, right? Or compared to last year? I forget. Watching that GOP margin shrink so dramatically, with historical increase in participation in an off-year, is a huge signal that I'm sure no one in the GOP will ever appreciate, much to their self-destruction.

....OK, they aren't going to publicly address it, because they need to keep their base as ignorant as they always have been, but I bet every body currently sitting in a GOP chair has early-onset incontinence right now.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

It might end more easily than Bevin thinks, but he'll certainly try to make as much of a show of it as possible. It's much like Trump's bogus voter fraud investigation that went nowhere -- more about creating the impression that Republicans are being 'robbed' instead of the truth (that they're losing popularity).

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
he also has to pay for it himself

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I cast my vote for Andy at 7am today. It's my parting gift to Kentucky before I head west to Oregon in December. Bevin was a colossal asshole and chose to go to war with teachers for fucks sake. Fuck that guy.
Thanks, quitter! ;)

Leave it to the rest of us Kentuckians to ditch Mitch.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Look... while reality tv shows are very popular, funny, and entertaining, after awhile people lose interest in the same-o same-o week after week.
Donald trump was funny and entertaining... for awhile, but obviously fans are losing interest in the Trump insanity week after week.
It’s getting old.
In Kentucky it was Time to change the channel.
This race had nothing to do with the governor, it was all about Donald Trump.
Donald insisted on that. He always does.....
Now, if Democrats can get their shit together and come up with a viable presidential candidate, Democrats can win the Whitehouse too.

Yeah, no.

Bevin attacked the teachers, medicaid expansion, and the working class. Every one of those voting demographics had untold numbers of sympathetic voting friends and relatives.

While not universally hated he screwed himself with his 'eff you, it's none of their business' message.

Reactions: mindless1

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
turnout was also up something like 50% in KY compared to the previous Gubernatorial election, right? Or compared to last year? I forget. Watching that GOP margin shrink so dramatically, with historical increase in participation in an off-year, is a huge signal that I'm sure no one in the GOP will ever appreciate, much to their self-destruction.

....OK, they aren't going to publicly address it, because they need to keep their base as ignorant as they always have been, but I bet every body currently sitting in a GOP chair has early-onset incontinence right now.

This morning WAVE 3 News reported 41% turnout this year vs. 31% previously.

• Wow