A Democrat just won the governorship in KY

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Other KY republicans also significantly underperformed the 2016 results by anywhere from 10-20 points. Turnout was extraordinarily high too, which is almost certainly driven by Trump and benefits Democrats.

I bet without Trump the Republican wins this just fine.

I think the Senate is the question. I know it is a stretch but my gut tells me we will see a 2nd term Trump and a slim majority Democrat with a few Independents Senate.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The race outcome didn't have anything at all to do with Trump. There were die hard republicans that would have voted that way no matter who was president, but Bevin was so offensive that Trump (blind party preference) wasn't enough to offset Bevin's foolish statements to the public and ultimately his last one did him in - insisting that there will be a toll on the Brent Spence Bridge, which lost him at least 10K N.KY votes.

The local factor was everything in swaying a red state to elect Beshear.

Keep telling yourself that. Trump boosts turnout, for & against. That was the story in 2018. It's just that his supporters are a minority in most places.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think the Senate is the question. I know it is a stretch but my gut tells me we will see a 2nd term Trump and a slim majority Democrat with a few Independents Senate.

I sincerely doubt that outcome. If Trump wins re-election the senate will be almost impossible for Democrats to win.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Trump is just a symptom of a Republican party that has completely lost it's way. Republicans are seeing staggering defeats in once safe suburbs. Turns out having policies built on hate, ignorance and fuck everyone but the rich isn't a winning strategy in the long run. Trump, Bevin, ect are just the latest mouthpieces of that crazy train. This trend isn't going to slow down anytime soon.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The race outcome didn't have anything at all to do with Trump. There were die hard republicans that would have voted that way no matter who was president, but Bevin was so offensive that Trump (blind party preference) wasn't enough to offset Bevin's foolish statements to the public and ultimately his last one did him in - insisting that there will be a toll on the Brent Spence Bridge, which lost him at least 10K N.KY votes.

The local factor was everything in swaying a red state to elect Beshear.

That was a 31 point swing from Trump's margin in 2016. How do you know for sure local factors were everything?

We've had numerous special elections these past two years, all of which seemed to lean bluer than the states and districts where they occurred. Were they all due to local factors? If so, then the GOP is just having a run of bad luck?

Reactions: Amused

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Republicans just can't get over the fact they can not rig every election.
Someone like Bevin loses and they just can't accept it.
Did anyone catch that little comment from the KY republican controlled senate Robert Stivers? After Beshear was the apparent winner, KY senate republican Robert Stivers said, "We'll see what we can do about it".
Meaning, they will find some loophole to deny Beshear his victory, or force a recount even though KY law does not have automatic recounts if the numbers are close.
Either that, or KY senate republicans would demand a new election, one were they WOULD rig the outcome in their favor.
Regardless, the whole thing stinks to high heaven.
Republicans in the republican controlled KY state legislation will find some way to deem the election as invalid. Just wait and see.

Stivers said he thought Bevin’s speech declining to concede to Beshear was “appropriate.” He said believes most of the votes that went to Libertarian John Hicks, who received about 2% of the total vote, would have gone to Bevin and made him the clear winner.

"Contested elections for Governor and Lieutenant Governor shall be determined by both Houses of the General Assembly, according to such regulations as may be established by law."

Sam Marcosson, a constitutional law professor at the University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, told The Courier Journal that this language of the state Constitution suggests there must be procedure established by law for a review of a contested election to take place by the House and Senate.

“They can’t just make them up,” Marcosson said.

“If the House and Senate were just to proceed on vague allegations without proof, that raises serious questions about disenfranchisement of the voters who voted for Attorney General Beshear,” Marcosson said. “It’s an extraordinary proposition to suggest that the General Assembly would take vague allegations of unspecified irregularities and call into question a gubernatorial election.”

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
They have all turned into crooks.

I mean how many Rs have condemned this by now? 0?

Ousting the whistle blower?

When you look over the Obama years, I guess you can follow the radicalization of the Republican base until this. Its crooked bandits, soviet-style wanna be oligarks.
Sad. Only hope is a still free press, otherwise DC is turning into New Moscow.

Reactions: dank69

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Bevin has now conceded after the recanvass indicated it would not alter the outcome and a clear lack of support in his own party for any shenanigans.

Close as it was, a re-canvass was entirely reasonable. Bevin's shit talking, not so much.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Jan 25, 2011
Bevin was interviewed talking about why he lost...

“The left, those who think of a different ideological bent, they are getting so good at harvesting votes in the urban communities,” Bevin said.

“They were able to go into urban communities where people are densely populated on college campuses and public housing projects.”

During the interview on 55KRC, Bevin said that he was encouraged by his supporters on Election Day, but that Democrats brought “more less-informed people” to the polls.

“Conservatives are going to have to find some counterpoint,” Bevin said. “The harvesting of votes in urban cores in particular that is done by the left overwhelmed even that. And that’s the difference, that’s the tipping point.”

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Beshear did well in Kentucky’s urban and suburban areas like Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, Richmond and northern Kentucky, as well as some historic Democratic strongholds in eastern Kentucky.

Good for Bowling Green to bounce back so soon after that horrific massacre. Definitely shows the true American spirit.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
PEOPLE VOTING IS THE PROBLEM!

exactly this.

and I see that these swamp creatures are now trying to coin a new dastardly term that means absolutely nothing: "vote harvesting."

now watch it creep into the daily musings of Fox acolytes and their unending grievances about how the world persecutes poor white conservatives, all the nefarious tricks aligned against them, like the "liberal agenda" (aka: United States democracy) and "vote harvesting!" (aka: voting)

Reactions: SteveGrabowski