A Democrat just won the governorship in KY

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah, no.

Bevin attacked the teachers, medicaid expansion, and the working class. Every one of those voting demographics had untold numbers of sympathetic voting friends and relatives.

While not universally hated he screwed himself with his 'eff you, it's none of their business' message.

Most of the offensive things Bevin said tend to piss off liberals, not as much conservatives. I looked through Bevin's history and this "local factor" doesn't appear to be near enough to account for a 31 point swing from Trump in 2016 to this.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Republican KY Senate President is now saying the KY legislature may try to overturn the results of the election and that the Republican's refusal to concede was 'appropriate'. He also appears to imply that one reason it's appropriate is because they think the voters who chose the libertarian candidate would have preferred the Republican over the Democrat.

Now I personally doubt they would actually try to do this but when you look at Wisconsin, North Carolina, and other states we should definitely remember that the sickness in the GOP extends far beyond Trump.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
He also appears to imply that one reason it's appropriate is because they think the voters who chose the libertarian candidate would have preferred the Republican over the Democrat.
Just wanted to quote for the haha. Excellent reasoning, i'll be sure to remember this the next time an R talks about the impeachment as 'overturning a democratic election'.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Feb 4, 2009
Republican KY Senate President is now saying the KY legislature may try to overturn the results of the election and that the Republican's refusal to concede was 'appropriate'. He also appears to imply that one reason it's appropriate is because they think the voters who chose the libertarian candidate would have preferred the Republican over the Democrat.

Now I personally doubt they would actually try to do this but when you look at Wisconsin, North Carolina, and other states we should definitely remember that the sickness in the GOP extends far beyond Trump.

See post #92

Also this relates to my post saying Democrats should gerrymander the shit out of these districts, not to guarantee D wins forever but to make a point. These guys aren’t playing by the same rules, goal should be bring the turds to the table kicking, whining and crying to work out a standard that can be nationally applied.
Any rational talks with these turds or hoping they decide to act ethically because voters or democrats want them to will fail.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Jeez, they lost. They need to get over it and quit trying to overturn the results of an election..

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Most of the offensive things Bevin said tend to piss off liberals, not as much conservatives. I looked through Bevin's history and this "local factor" doesn't appear to be near enough to account for a 31 point swing from Trump in 2016 to this.
Perhaps... It's also conceivable that all the campaign rally appearances by the Liar-in-Chief, his VP, and their minions in support of Bevin energized both the libs and righties to get to the polls.

I voted a straight party ticket but most Kentuckians don't roll that way according to the results.

AG elect Cameron is a scary scenario going forward.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006

I've lived here for 20 months. Nothing surprises me in this state...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
GOP legislature is trying to steal this election for Bevin:

They're nothing more than shit talking fools ATM. One of the ingredients in the well propagandized conservative headset is idea that Dems are dishonest, that they cheat. Losing is just an opportunity to reinforce the lie.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It is both sad and predictable that the Republican hypocrites are trying to overturn the results of this election. There is simply no nicer way to put it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is both sad and predictable that the Republican hypocrites are trying to overturn the results of this election. There is simply no nicer way to put it.

Of course, their claims that Democrats want to overturn elections is 100% projection, as usual. Just look at North Carolina and Wisconsin. Those are good examples of what it looks like to try and overturn the results of an election. Now maybe we add Kentucky to the list.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump is totally going to say the 2020 election was stolen from him even if he looses by a huge margin and not concede.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump is totally going to say the 2020 election was stolen from him even if he looses by a huge margin and not concede.

Yes, this is a near certainty if he loses, and he might pull a 2016 and say it was rigged even if he wins.

What's going to be interesting/scary is what Republicans do in response. If he loses Trump will have more than two months with full control of the federal government to try and use it to undermine the results of the election and I suspect he will use every tool at his disposal. Things could get really, really weird and dangerous right around this time next year.

Feb 4, 2009
Yes, this is a near certainty if he loses, and he might pull a 2016 and say it was rigged even if he wins.

What's going to be interesting/scary is what Republicans do in response. If he loses Trump will have more than two months with full control of the federal government to try and use it to undermine the results of the election and I suspect he will use every tool at his disposal. Things could get really, really weird and dangerous right around this time next year.

As of now I think he will win again but this can change.
Otherwise I completely agree.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
As of now I think he will win again but this can change.
Otherwise I completely agree.

There's obviously a possibility he could pull it off, but to say it's the most likely possibility is interesting.

I'm curious about your reason for believing this? 2016 he barely won with his hardcore brainless 1/3, plus (barely) enough moderates. His support among moderates is definitely lower. He no longer has that "unknown outsider" thing going for him, and the things that are known about him are all terrible. His hardcore 1/3 would not be close to enough even with the Electoral College.

Feb 4, 2009
There's obviously a possibility he could pull it off, but to say it's the most likely possibility is interesting.

I'm curious about your reason for believing this? 2016 he barely won with his hardcore brainless 1/3, plus (barely) enough moderates. His support among moderates is definitely lower. He no longer has that "unknown outsider" thing going for him, and the things that are known about him are all terrible. His hardcore 1/3 would not be close to enough even with the Electoral College.

He will use the same playbook because it worked before. He will shit on every other candidate to stir doubt, economy which is a big decider will likely still be strong.
Doesn’t matter how many votes he wins, EC win is the only thing that matters.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Yeah, the question is if you think his support in those 3 decisive states is ~ 0.5% lower now than it was in November 2016. If so, he loses.

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah, the question is if you think his support in those 3 decisive states is ~ 0.5% lower now than it was in November 2016. If so, he loses.

Sort of true but needs to be edited to us he less popular in November 2020.
I have no doubt there will be Russians shitting on everyone but Trump, I have no doubt there will be Russians proving someone up because they’ll fight racism, sexism or whatever.
I have no doubt there will be some generous state aid packages moments before the election. I have no doubt there will be rallies stating the billions and billions they have been given.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sort of true but needs to be edited to us he less popular in November 2020.
I have no doubt there will be Russians shitting on everyone but Trump, I have no doubt there will be Russians proving someone up because they’ll fight racism, sexism or whatever.
I have no doubt there will be some generous state aid packages moments before the election. I have no doubt there will be rallies stating the billions and billions they have been given.

Yes I agree it's almost certain he will corruptly use the powers of the presidency to try and get re-elected and I suspect not just Russia will be helping him. (I would be very surprised if Ukraine is the only foreign nation Trump has pressured into helping him win re-election)

Still, he won election by about the narrowest margin possible last time and he's become less popular since. That's trouble ahead.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
The race outcome didn't have anything at all to do with Trump. There were die hard republicans that would have voted that way no matter who was president, but Bevin was so offensive that Trump (blind party preference) wasn't enough to offset Bevin's foolish statements to the public and ultimately his last one did him in - insisting that there will be a toll on the Brent Spence Bridge, which lost him at least 10K N.KY votes.

The local factor was everything in swaying a red state to elect Beshear.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017

Well you were not asking me, but I think he's the favorite because:

- his base will literally forgive him for anything, at all, even the old "it would take getting caught with a live boy or dead girl" wouldn't phase them.

- that leaves the "middle undecided", which aren't really either--they are people who avoid politics completely. The people that probably don't know there is an impeachment inquiry, or who Robert Mueller is. They couldn't pick Nancy Pelosi or Robert Barr out of a lineup. The week of the election, they'll look in their wallets and vote for whichever candidate they blame for the lack of funds in it, or the high or low price of gas, or who the hell knows what. As long as the economy hasn't imploded for this "average joe", I reckon it's a total crapshoot who they will vote for. If it does turn downward and they feel it, Trump loses and badly.

tldr: it's the economy.

Reactions: dank69

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The race outcome didn't have anything at all to do with Trump. There were die hard republicans that would have voted that way no matter who was president, but Bevin was so offensive that Trump (blind party preference) wasn't enough to offset Bevin's foolish statements to the public and ultimately his last one did him in - insisting that there will be a toll on the Brent Spence Bridge, which lost him at least 10K N.KY votes.

The local factor was everything in swaying a red state to elect Beshear.

Other KY republicans also significantly underperformed the 2016 results by anywhere from 10-20 points. Turnout was extraordinarily high too, which is almost certainly driven by Trump and benefits Democrats.

I bet without Trump the Republican wins this just fine.