a delid ultra runs away from the cpu (lel)

Manoa

Oct 8, 2011
it show that the ultra run "away" from the center of the cpu die after delid :x
on the sides of the 4790K die it's there, but the center it is gone, like "dry out" - both the die side and the ihs sides are dry

I did the delid just 2 days ago and the first time I apply very good (this picture show the second time, where I added mutch more than usual because I affraid the dry out problem)

is it possible that because the ultra is old (5 years ago buyed) he is deth from time ?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I have a tube of CLU that is around 5 years old that I use for delids. I re-lid with black silicone, so I don't even have an opportunity to check how well the IHS and die mated with the CLU.

I haven't had a single problem with the old CLU, though. Performance on all my delid/relids has been excellent.

It's possible by removing the lid, the surface tension of the liquid metal pulled it away from the center and makes it look like it was dry in the middle. If you didn't have any measurable thermal issues, I don't see any reason why you should worry about it.

Less is definitely more when it comes to liquid metal TIM. You don't want to put enough that it squishes out the edges around the die.

Manoa

Oct 8, 2011
that whats strange, the temperature was very good all the time, but is it possible the temperature would still be good if the heat was flowing through the die into the ultra on the sides ?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
that whats strange, the temperature was very good all the time, but is it possible the temperature would still be good if the heat was flowing through the die into the ultra on the sides ?

Unlikely. What you're more likely seeing is that even an ultra-thin coat of CLU can still work quite well. That's my preferred application method between IHS and HSF anyway. I had trouble pulling that off when doing a delid/relid on my old A10-7700k. That took a lot of CLU to work correctly. Didn't get any pump-out/runoff though.