A couple of questions about delidding

rustypixel

May 4, 2014
I've been looking into the benefits of delidding my i5 4670K and it's not a question of if I'll do it but more like when. I've read what I can and have seen a lot of videos and I'm confident enough that I can do it with no issues. The questions I have aren't with the process of removing the lid but with the TIM to be used and the protection of the capacitors that are right next to the die. My intended plans are as follows:

Delid using the razor blade method and clean everything.
Apply liquid tape to capacitors running along the die to protect them from any stray CL Ultra.
Apply CL Ultra to the die.
Apply a small dot or two of liquid tape to hold down the IHS to prevent it from sliding out of place when clamping to mobo.
Apply Arctic MX 4 between IHS and water cooling block.

My question is with my intended use of liquid tape on the capacitors. Does anyone know if that will cause any issues? Of course I plan to let the liquid tape fully dry/cure before powering up the mobo. As far as heat resistance, liquid tape is safe up to 200F (~93C). A few people have told me that when they used CL Ultra on the die they covered up the capacitors with a bit of MX 4. Would that be a better method?
I have a tube each of MX 4 and CL Ultra heading to me this upcoming week and I will most likely get the chip delidded in the next few days so I have time before I put it all back together. Hoping some people can shed some light. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Thanks.

jds1991

Apr 30, 2014
I wouldn't seal the IHS back to the PCB because it will create a gap causing less heat transfer. And I would use the MX-4 on the caps. For my delid I just put the CPU back in the socket and then the IHS. The retention bracket will hold the IHS in place.

rustypixel

May 4, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't planning to completely seal the IHS back to the PCB and was planning to put a couple of drops of liquid tape on a couple of the corners of the IHS after it was placed back on the PCB so the liquid tape would hold the IHS to the PCB on the outside and not underneath.
Now, as to the MX4 on the capacitors, is there a reason for going that route instead of the liquid tape? I'm just trying to figure out if the liquid tape is just a bad idea in general. I appreciate the info.

Thanks again.

I wouldn't seal the IHS back to the PCB because it will create a gap causing less heat transfer. And I would use the MX-4 on the caps. For my delid I just put the CPU back in the socket and then the IHS. The retention bracket will hold the IHS in place.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
I like to remove the retention bracket and apply the block/heatsink directly to the die. The IHS has its own imperfections that hinder cooling. If you just turn the bolts x amount of times and rotate, it applies even pressure. As far as the caps go, they are far enough from the die to avoid conductive TIM's wrath.