A comprehensive guide would be nice

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hey guys, I'm trying to teach myself Linux but perhaps I am dumb or not computer savvy. There is an issue that constantly arises for me and it is so frustrating, and I can never seem to find the simple answers I am looking for.

A lot of times Linux, GNU, and open source software comes as a package or directory. The extension says .iso, but when I burn the directory as it is, it is not bootable. I see the autorun.inf file, but I want to be able to use this stuff "outside of the OS". I still haven't figured out what this is called, exactly.

The directory often includes different boot images, an isolinux folder with a boot image, a Boot folder with a different boot image... it is so frustrating because the directions say simply "burn the .iso file to CD." Nothing else.

Well I tried that with GParted, the GNU partition manager. It did not boot up. I tried using a boot image that I found in the directory, it still did not work. Nothing explained how to do it. I just gave up.

Now I would like a BOOTABLE FreeDOS CD. Guess what? Same damn headache: numerous boot images, no instructions. I really don't get it. I mean, is this stuff considered to just be intuitive, how to make the software work? Am I just stupid?

Somebody help me, please. Any kind of comprehensive guide to creating and using software from it's directory, especially bootable, would be just wonderful.

Thank you.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Installing_Mandriva_Linux/Writing_CD_and_DVD_images

Edit:
Btw, I just DuckDuckGo'd that. I've never actually burned an iso through GNU/Linux. You can find answers to most problems by making quality searches. For that general topic I linked above, my search term was "burn iso linux". If you used Ubuntu, "burn iso ubuntu" would probably give more relevant results. If you're having a hardware issue "hardwareX linux" will pull some useful results. Make the terms more, or less specific depending on exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited:

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Installing_Mandriva_Linux/Writing_CD_and_DVD_images

Edit:
Btw, I just DuckDuckGo'd that. I've never actually burned an iso through GNU/Linux. You can find answers to most problems by making quality searches. For that general topic I linked above, my search term was "burn iso linux". If you used Ubuntu, "burn iso ubuntu" would probably give more relevant results. If you're having a hardware issue "hardwareX linux" will pull some useful results. Make the terms more, or less specific depending on exactly what you're looking for.

This tells me how to write the image, and I appreciate it. Thanks.

Now is there any wiki or guide which explains boot images, isolinux, ie the different files which are used to create a bootable CD and what each file does? I've run into this problem with GNU utilities, Linux distros, lots of stuff. No one seems to explain it all and it's very frustrating :(

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
This tells me how to write the image, and I appreciate it. Thanks.

Now is there any wiki or guide which explains boot images, isolinux, ie the different files which are used to create a bootable CD and what each file does? I've run into this problem with GNU utilities, Linux distros, lots of stuff. No one seems to explain it all and it's very frustrating :(

I don't know tbh. Maybe try "how does linux boot". I haven't looked so the results may be crap, but I suspect not.

The Arch wiki has some of the best directions in the biz. You may have to tweak some of the directions for your specific distro, but they're very thorough, and well written...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page

v-600

Nov 1, 2010
Depending on how technical you want to be, LinuxFromScratch details a lot of how Linux starts up. Its a make it yourself linux book with details on how to compile everything. I tried to read and follow a few years ago but it was a bit beyond me. You might have better luck with it though.

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
Here's my personal collection of Ebooks. You might find something of use in there...

http://ubuntuone.com/0ykQfDPDDplsR7Fx0EDDGq

Thank you sir. I don't know exactly what that link leads to, but I will certainly check it out :D

Depending on how technical you want to be, LinuxFromScratch details a lot of how Linux starts up. Its a make it yourself linux book with details on how to compile everything. I tried to read and follow a few years ago but it was a bit beyond me. You might have better luck with it though.

Hmmm, this may be the missing puzzle piece I'm looking for, thank you. I don't need canned instructions on how to burn a CD, what I need is sth that explains to me exactly what those boot images and isolinux folders are that I see, and how exactly they interact with each other. It confuses me because there are often multiple boot images in an .iso's directory and I would just like to understand what I'm dealing with, that's all.

Thanks again for the help, guys :)

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
JUST installed the Klink tethering app on my Ubuntu system. I'm happy about that because, again, I felt to be a victim of homogenous and crappy instructions. The instructions for installing Klink on Ubuntu were: download the app and open it in the Software center. WELL, I don't have an internet connection OTHER than Klink, so I had to do my install locally. Luckily, I found how to install a .deb package using dpkg command. It installed right away with no problems (well, one minor problem: wouldn't install when I decompressed it, had to be compressed). Anyways, this is just an example of how instructions are generally very poorly written, and it's no wonder people have trouble doing this because no one explains it.

Lxskllr, I am downloading your book now, thanks.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Lxskllr, I am downloading your book now, thanks.

It's a collection of books. There's cheat sheets, scripting guides, user manuals... There's a couple books on/by Richard Stallman I think. Worth a read for sure. It may not all be useful to you right now, but there's some decent references you can refer to when have some time to pass.

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
It's a collection of books. There's cheat sheets, scripting guides, user manuals... There's a couple books on/by Richard Stallman I think. Worth a read for sure. It may not all be useful to you right now, but there's some decent references you can refer to when have some time to pass.

Thanks man. :thumbup:

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
I know this sounds like a really retarded question. But a lot of Linux documentation pages are plain horrible.

Perfect example: the Ubuntu page on how to burn ISOs from the command line. It says: you can use the command "mkisofs" to burn an iso.

Then it gives the actual example: "genisoimage -f - j xxxxxxyyyyzzzz". That's just plain idiotic. I hate when someone writes something so poorly, they don't even follow their own directions.

I know I'm bitching now, but this is one reason why Linux isn't always straightforward.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I feel like you're preaching to the choir here. I understand why things are the way they are but damn it Linux just isn't for everyone without proper documentation.

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
I feel like you're preaching to the choir here. I understand why things are the way they are but damn it Linux just isn't for everyone without proper documentation.

Zoduku, my assumption was always that Windows was more homogeneous and automated for end users (the many GUIs and Wizards). While Linux was more customizeable and flexible in it's environment. I just assumed that it takes more work and patience to learn, perhaps, but how to do those things I thought would be explained.

I am still a Linux noob so I have a lot to learn I suppose, but I was disappointed by how dreadfully a simple function like mkisofs was documented.

Meh, whatever. :cool:

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I tend to use man pages if I can't figure something out after searching the web. They can help a lot in clarifying specific commands and parameters while an online tutorial will just say "execute this command"

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
I will reference the man page again. Perhaps I didn't read it carefully enough.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Nevermind I just tried to man page for mkisofs and it doesn't have one. Well that's out the window isn't it.

TIME WARPING IT UP!

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
Nevermind I just tried to man page for mkisofs and it doesn't have one. Well that's out the window isn't it.

TIME WARPING IT UP!

Lulz ok. I thought there was a reason y man didn't help but I couldn't recall off the top of my head.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
mkisofs has a man page on Arch Linux. However, it calls itself genisoimage. :hmm:

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
I will reference the man page again. Perhaps I didn't read it carefully enough.

It took me six months to start understanding the man pages and how the commands work. Simple commands with some options and maybe a sequence.

dealcorn

May 28, 2011
The reason the instructions say to burn the iso to a cd is because typically that is all you have to do. Of course that never works if your BIOS is set to boot first from a hard disk or anyplace other than the cd. Is your BIOS ordering your PC not to boot from the cd?

Alternately, you may be saying you need to work on your relationship with Brasero. Sounds like you don't got one. To some extent if you can figure out how to get the job done for you, the education stuff takes care of itself over time.