A carnivorish nightmare - All internet and voice data to be saved

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
"originally designed with the FBI six years ago. It calls for the retention of "every phone call, every mobile phone call, every fax, every e-mail, every website's contents, all internet usage, from anywhere, by everyone, to be recorded, archived and be accessible for at least seven years," notes the journal. The proposal gives law enforcement agencies powers far beyond authorised, approved interceptions."

Just what kind of hard drives are they using anyway. even this will be saved ???

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
As much as I disagree with the idea I think the system set up would be very impressive.

SaX0N

Mar 2, 2001
somehow i dont think that it would be feasable to store all that information, while still possible

every phone call and mobile call are understandable, but can you imagine the storage requirements for every web pages contents and all internet usage

flood

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999

<< somehow i dont think that it would be feasable to store all that information, while still possible

every phone call and mobile call are understandable, but can you imagine the storage requirements for every web pages contents and all internet usage
>>

my thoughts exactly
they would have to add 75gig drives by the dozen every minute to keep up

EvanFerguson

Banned
May 14, 2001
hmmm, i'm sure the govt' has an unlimited supply of hardrive space actually

but storing it all and sorting it would be so tedious it'd be worthless

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Sure it's possible. Almost every hard drive is manufactured by a company with a major headquarters in the US, I'm sure it would be almost nothing for the govt to make a deal with them to make part of each drive inaccessible to the user, but only to the government...and ol' Microsoft Bill could implant special code in his OS to allow special remote access to this sector of the drive only to the government. Ever wonder why there are so many AOL disks being handed out? Those are pieces of the data...:Q

Unless the government is hiding some special technology from us (WORKING solid state drives, perhaps?), this whole thing is near impossible.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
(WORKING solid state drives, perhaps?)

We have working solid state drives. Do a Google search for &quot;quantum rushmore.&quot;

SSD would not be cost-efficient enough to use for a task like this.

Viper GTS