A blast from the past, how things have changed

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
I was on web.archive.org and I was looking at the forums on anandtech and they looked not only peaceful but innocent and fun. Sad to think that I joined late in the game in '04, by the looks of things I would have really enjoyed growing with the site starting all the way back in '97/98. This was clearly evident even in '01, Text
it's not nearly as insane in my opinion as it is now. While I don't believe I would know much more about technology than I do now had I joined a tech forum when I was younger, I'm sure it would have been nice to have more bragging rights as a kid.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'll tell you what I remember.
I remember lurking for a long time, seeing the people on the forums with their silly little problems and laughing at them.

How the hell did I get here?
:p

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
2001 here, only to look up Hot Deals though and occassionaly post them. It was not totalyl different then. I am guessing 98, it was very different according to the archive though.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Of course the first thread is RossMAN bragging about saving $107. Some things never change. :p

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
I kinda wish I was on Hot Deals during the tech explosion, I would have loaded up on cheap stuff.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: pulse8
Of course the first thread is RossMAN bragging about saving $107. Some things never change. :p

at least he turned it into an enjoyable story with "bams" and "whipping out" coupons and all :D

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Mannnnn..

I wish we could go back to the old days of "Hot Deals". You n00bs have no idea how awesome some of the deals were until the dot com bubble burst. :(

I would like to extend a personal thanks to Value America. :p

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperSix
Mannnnn..

I wish we could go back to the old days of "Hot Deals". You n00bs have no idea how awesome some of the deals were until the dot com bubble burst. :(

I would like to extend a personal thanks to Value America. :p

Ahh.. good old VA. What a screwed up company that was. Not only did they honor the insane amount of deals I collected, but their shipping department was so FUBAR, they send me 3 of the same items (~85lb weight-lifting bench for $40.) I send the second one back 3 times before they kept it. Then they sent me a 3rd one a few days later. I got tired of trying to help them out and just kept them both and sold the extra. :laugh:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
OP, which one of those user names on that page is yours?