A 97 year old faces his own death.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
This video reminds me of my uncle who had Parkinson's disease at 70. It got so bad that he coulldn't do the basic things that he once took for granted when he was a young(er) person. What's startling in this video is you see pictures of this gentleman with his wife at a very young age. Their skin was supple. They had mobility. They both looked attractive. They had careers that they both loved. It also seems that they both loved each other. That their marriage was good. But, in the end it's all temporary. Old age doesn't seem real for many of us who are still young. Even if you're 50, old age seems a very long time away. This gentleman in the video seems to think that nothing matters. It's sad that you get to that point before death that nothing matters. The video is just a remindeder of what happens for many people when they reach the end. Their loved ones pass away. It's like the life you once had was an illusion. In fact, everything that we think is real is an illusion. Side Note: IMO, there is nothing golden about the golden years.

Reactions: Captante

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
This video reminds me of my uncle who had Parkinson's disease at 70. It got so bad that he coulldn't do the basic things that he once took for granted when he was a young(er) person. What's startling in this video is you see pictures of this gentleman with his wife at a very young age. Their skin was supple. They had mobility. They both looked attractive. They had careers that they both loved. It also seems that they both loved each other. That their marriage was good. But, in the end it's all temporary. Old age doesn't seem real for many of us who are still young. Even if you're 50, old age seems a very long time away. This gentleman in the video seems to think that nothing matters. It's sad that you get to that point before death that nothing matters. The video is just a remindeder of what happens for many people when they reach the end. Their loved ones pass away. It's like the life you once had was an illusion. In fact, everything that we think is real is an illusion. Side Note: IMO, there is nothing golden about the golden years.

This is both sad and profound. An admirable person.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Its better to burn out ..... then to fade away? :oops: :cool:

Seriously the older I get the more I understand the attraction of never knowing what hit you and doing things which increase the chance of that kind of exit stage-left if you follow me.

Selfish in a sense I know but ultimately in the words of James T Kirk ... we ALL die alone.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i've felt like death is just around the corner for years

i give myself a %50 chance of making it to 50

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
This gentleman in the video seems to think that nothing matters..... It's sad that you get to that point before death that nothing matters. In fact, everything that we think is real is an illusion. Side Note: IMO, there is nothing golden about the golden years.

I strongly disagree. You're left with a life full of memory. After life has run its course, why be alive? Dying is as natural as being born and living.

Golden years are golden because if you play your cards right and with a bit of luck - you get to travel with your wife, take it easy & dine out, do some volunteer work, and play with grand kids. All while not worrying about money and jobs. I hope I get there.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I strongly disagree. You're left with a life full of memory. After life has run its course, why be alive? Dying is as natural as being born and living.

Golden years are golden because if you play your cards right and with a bit of luck - you get to travel with your wife, take it easy & dine out, do some volunteer work, and play with grand kids. All while not worrying about money and jobs. I hope I get there.

Agreed. But, my point is life is very unpredictable. My mom passed away at 65. A coworker passed away a few monts ago at 48.
Good points though. We should save for the future with the hope that our health is intact.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
if I didn't care about the environment, I have considered taking something fast out, fun to fly, and joyriding till the fuel ran out. Then roll over and auger in at VNE. No gas left to go boom.