A 4K problem (4K projector, 1080p receiver)

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
Technically this is FAR from a dedicated HTPC (lives 70feet away from the theater room), but this best fits here I think.

I will try and be brief. All I want to do is go from my computer to the theater room and get the best sound/picture possible. Currently that is easy, I have a 75ft long (Redemere) HDMI running from the computer (dual GTX 1080s) to the receiver in the theater room (Yamaha RXZ11) and from the Yamaha, to the projector (JVC DLA RS65). All works great. BUT, in a couple weeks it will all come crashing down when I get a Sony VW665ES. 4k.

The Yamaha won’t process a 4k signal but other than that it still bests many of the finest (consumer grade/non-seperates) receivers out there today. I see NO reason to get rid of it UNLESS I can’t get what I want. So, how do I get a 4k (60hz) signal to the projector for video and still get the HD audio to the receiver? I am already aware just getting the signal over that distance may not be a picnic but I am willing to try just about whatever it takes (that doesn’t involve a new $5000 receiver) to get it done. Never tried HDMI over Ethernet but may look that direction to get the signal just…..into the room.

Any suggestions for getting the best signal possible, then getting it to both projector and receiver???

Nov 20, 2009
I'm sure AVS forums are worthless to you.

Really no need for this threadcrapping comment.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

snoturtle

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2001
Look for a 4k capable HDMI audio de-embedder.

It will allow you to pull the audio out and send it to the receiver and send the HDMI video along to the projector.

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004

Ooooo a salty ol Andantech veteran. i was totally unaware that it was required to post what other forums I use in addition to this one! Well, sorry sir, but I posted this exact same question on AVS as well (and a couple weeks before posting here!) Just figured I may want to see if someone here might also have some answers. Pardon my mistake!!! So far, only worthless item I have seen was your reply to me good sir. Sheesh.

Reactions: guachi

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
Look for a 4k capable HDMI audio de-embedder.

It will allow you to pull the audio out and send it to the receiver and send the HDMI video along to the projector.

Indeed. I hadn't thought of that. I'll take a look around (if you know fo anything specific make/model-wise, let me know). Thx!

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Same problem but I just use a 4K HDMI Splitter, don't sense any loss of picture quality.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I will be in the same boat too. I have a great receiver for everything of my audio needs but when I get the 4K TV, all I will be able to pass through the receiver to the TV will be 1080. I am running my HTPC through the receiver now but I wonder if I should decouple that and run it to the 4K and then have audio out from the 4K back to the receiver?

A splitter? I'm sure Monoprice will have something like it; I need to order a wall mount from them anyway.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I would like to add that it's probably better to buy source components that have two outputs like newer 4K Bluray players, Roku Ultra, etc. It would probably work better over all.

This Sony unit offers 4K video plus HD audio from two HDMI outputs: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ub...-blu-ray-player-black/5748620.p?skuId=5748620

The Roku Ultra has an optical output which only support DD but that is mostly what is supported by streaming services.

Nov 20, 2009

Really no need for this threadcrapping comment.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director
I wasn't trying to threadcrap, but rather when leading a horse to water why not lead it to a lake full of it instead of a coffee cup. It just seems that there are better places than others for certain topics. I would no more suggest someone seeking PC help to go to AVS than I would suggest someone seeking home theater projector help to Anandtech. It isn't a knock on any forum. Next time I know not to suggest to someone else.

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
I wasn't trying to threadcrap, but rather when leading a horse to water why not lead it to a lake full of it instead of a coffee cup. It just seems that there are better places than others for certain topics. I would no more suggest someone seeking PC help to go to AVS than I would suggest someone seeking home theater projector help to Anandtech. It isn't a knock on any forum. Next time I know not to suggest to someone else.

Well, I would be on board with you actually...had I posted in, say the G35driver forum. Doubtful anyone there is going to have any HT advice (unless its going in their Infiniti). But, my issue is, I posted in the HT section of a tech Forum requesting advice going from a PC to a projector so.....perhaps not so far fetched?

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
Well I tried to go the cheap route for fun before I bite the bullet on (probably) something utilizing Cat 6. Just to try and get a solid 4K signal the 65' distance I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-Built-Ultra-High-Bandwidth/dp/B00SI1JH7U/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1489950048&sr=8-11&keywords=hdmi+75'

I do have to say its a solid cable. Issue is, it maxes out at 1080 so....not so great. Perhaps I just got a bad one oh well. Luckily, I do need a solid 1080 cable to come back from teh theater room to the computer (for streaming purposes) so it'll work for that.

If the computer wasnt set up as a dedicated workstation is a different room....I would just move the darn thing into the HT room but unless I simply MUST do that, I will keep looking for a long distance solution (for signal and for audio extraction).

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Your setup is less then ideal. HDMI wasn't intended for long cable runs and 4K@60hz 4:4:4 pushes the cable right to the edge of what it can do in it's current version. The cat 6 solution will increase the distance but at added cost and may not get 4:4:4.

The second problem is HD audio, you need to down convert HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 so your older AVR can recognize it. Another added cost.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish. You may want to just build a second dedicated HTPC that could be placed in the room and save your Primary Workstation for actual work.

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
Oh I totally agree that it isn't ideal. But, I have always found a way to get it done over the last 10 years that my configuration has been like this. Just always some extra hurdles when introducing a new component to the mix. Not super keen on building a second system though (i7 5930, 64GB DDR4, GTX 1080 x2 SLi, etc etc...not super cheap to build another). Three 4k screens run in the "computer room" with the long run to the theater room for a single 120" projection display (that will soon be 4k as well). I guess I want to have the cake and eat it as well!

As for the run to the projector, the distance can be as low as around 45' (just wont be run with the other cabling which all take the long way around) which I think will be doable (ok, perhaps not 4:4:4 but 4k 60hz I am hopeful). As for the audio I think I have three possible ideas....

1- Screw the audio remaining of the highest quality and just use the fiber optic out on the Soundblaster Z Sound Card and just go right into an optical on the receiver.
2- Run a second HDMI out from the GPU to the receiver for just audio (issue here is I believe SLi performance is hindered when cloning a single screen (and to the GPU/receiver I think that is what it would be interpreted as) but not sure as to the level of impact there).
3- Split the HDMI coming from the GPU. Splitting the signal though of COURSE being less than ideal, especially with 4K, especially over a 40-50ft distance (40-50ft to projector, 70ft to the receiver)

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why would the audio from the Soundblaster Z be inferior to the HDMI Audio on the 1080?

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
Oh it could easily be ME thats missing something (hence asking in the first place). However, the signal I get from the 1080 is 7 channel PCM. best I have been able to get from the SoundBlaster would be 5 channel PCM. (At least, thats what the receiver is interpreting)