CoolTech

Platinum Member
Jul 10, 2000
What do you think was worsE? Holocaust or U.S. Slavery?

Slavery, millions, even more than the holocaust were relocated and murdered and raped, etc. Religion lost, culture lost, but on a larger scale. People tend to always dwarf U.S. Slavery in comparison to the holocaust. Even more people were affected over the hundreds of years of slavery than few years that 6 million jews were killed, not to give that event any less validity or historical importance, but U.S. Slavery was worse

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
No question, the holocaust.

The US isn't special in having slavery. A good number of current and former powers have had slavery at one point or another.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
holocaust all the way...

slavery at least the people had a chance. Yeah a lot died, but a lot lived out their lives. holocaust, everyone died.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Not sure but, I think there were fewer people made slaves and killing people is worse than enslaving people, so I say Holocaust.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
holocaust all the way...

slavery at least the people had a chance. Yeah a lot died, but a lot lived out their lives. holocaust, everyone died.

Well almost everyone... I think i had some distant relatives make it out somehow, but very very few did....

CoolTech

Platinum Member
Jul 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

The US isn't special in having slavery. A good number of current and former powers have had slavery at one point or another.

the question isnt whether other cultures had slavery, its the comparison of U.S. Slavery with the Holocaust. Don't get the question twisted

CoolTech

Platinum Member
Jul 10, 2000
Originally posted by: aphex
holocaust all the way...

Well almost everyone... I think i had some distant relatives make it out somehow, but very very few did....

ever heard of a holocaust survivor? they do exist, hence the fact that all did not die who were in concentration camps.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Even more people were affected over the hundreds of years of slavery than few years that 6 million jews were killed, not to give that event any less validity or historical importance, but U.S. Slavery was worse

Why should length of time matter?

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: CoolTech
holocaust all the way...

ever heard of a holocaust survivor? they do exist, hence the fact that all did not die who were in concentration camps.

Uhm, reread my post and try again.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Holocaust. While slavery was horrid, it's sole purpose wasn't to exterminate an entire race of people.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Change that to world slavery. Because the US isnt alone in the slavery issue. Every race and creed has been enslaved at one point in time, even to this day. Some people have faced worse than blacks. Black slaves are a result of a demand for free labor, and that demand was filled by african tribes selling off their slaves they got from warring with other tribes. Hell some African tribes still do that till this day.

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
the racism that either caused or evolved from slavery still exists...
but, the people that would be alive today had the Holocaust never happened, are not alive.

They were both extremely bad, let's just leave it at that.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

the question isnt whether other cultures had slavery, its the comparison of U.S. Slavery with the Holocaust. Don't get the question twisted

I'm not, I'm trying to cut off the inevitable path this thread will take. Sorry, I'm not trying to twist the question.

Anyway, slavery in the US was nothing compared to the systematic elimination of millions and millions of people. Enslaving people is bad, don't get me wrong, but it's not nearly as bad as attempting to get rid of a people.

CoolTech

Platinum Member
Jul 10, 2000
Even more people were affected over the hundreds of years of slavery than few years that 6 million jews were killed, not to give that event any less validity or historical importance, but U.S. Slavery was worse

Why should length of time matter?

the length of time matters because of the cultural significance. If only six years of your culture was wiped out, although bad, its not near as bad as hundreds of years, and people wonder why African American's in America are in their current state. This stuff happens over long periods of time and has a cyclical affect of degradation.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

So what exactly are we comparing, just the number of people? Coke vs. Bruce Lee? I don't remember plantation owners setting up giant ovens to put people in, gas chambers, mass graveyards, etc. Slaves still lived (that was an important point actually, the owners didn't want them to die because there goes a slave), the Holocaust was genocide. It wasn't enslavement, it was annihilation.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sort of hard to tell... I know the Holocaust was probably worse, only because we have a better history record of it. Hoping to take African-American history at my University soon, so maybe I can get a more accurate description. I still think wholesale murder and torture are worse than slavery, but slavery did kill a lot and separated a lot of families. They were both bad, but I tend to give the nod to the Holocaust. I think genocide is worse than slavery in my uneducated opinion.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
http://www2.uta.edu/stillwell/notes-file/usslavery.htm

considering there were free blacks at the time, and only 4 million slaves of which most did not suffer extreme torture and die.. i'd say holocaust. 6million dead in a genocide.

being sold by your black brothers into slavery by the whites is different. even some indians and other blacks had slaves:p

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
the jews went through a few years of the worst torture and degredation in all of history, but the slavery issue went on for a few hundred years. i'm sure that many slaves went through worse torture than some of the jews went through and for how long? african-americans have been put through so much and they still have a lot of prejedice to deal with even today.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: masterxfob
the jews went through a few years of the worst torture and degredation in all of history, but the slavery issue went on for a few hundred years. i'm sure that many slaves went through worse torture than some of the jews went through and for how long? african-americans have been put through so much and they still have a lot of prejedice to deal with even today.

People don't still hate jews? I believe they do!

CoolTech

Platinum Member
Jul 10, 2000
Originally posted by: masterxfob

Amen!

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
And I agree with the posters above, don't kid yourself into thinking that the U.S. is alone in the issue of slavery. It has been going on for thousands of years, and is still going on today. If you want to say world slavery, fine. I think a better question for your poll would be something along the lines of "Which is worse, slavery or genocide?"

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
I guess my question is... What are you trying to prove by asking this question?

They were both horrible events, we ALL know that... Why should they be 'ranked'?