$99 LG BD burner back at newegg til 10/31

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
^Nice. Seems like you still get the other free stuff, too, so you get 11 free Verbatim 25GB blanks, and shipping is still free.

Anyone who bought this drive in the past want to chime in?

russw

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
This tempted me last night. Do I need to have it. Maybe not right now. Is this about the lowest $ on this bulk drive? I think I need to learn more about the tech on this. For instance, Fry's is sell a 20pk of Verbatim BD-R LTH media for $25 and what may be the same burner for $119. Hmmm

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
I ordered it last friday so before the sale (but only 10 bucks more so meh). Should be getting it today so ill toss it in and see how it does right "out of the box"

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
Thanks. Ordered the combo. I have another LG burner that I really like a lot. This one will go into a system I am building as a gift for someone.

John

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
what is the cache of this unit? they have it listed as 2MB, but the non-bulk version of this same drive is 4MB. Does it really matter?

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
want to give people some advice on this drive.
I have one and IF you ever think of ripping a blu ray movie to your hard drive.
This unit (all LG units) is equipped with riplock that slows the drive down to 1X reads.
Most lg firmware patches exist to remove this but NOT this drive.
Its listed as commercial but there are not files for this particular drive.
make sure and NOT to try flashing this with LG WH10LS30 firmware patch you will brick this drive
its a LG WH10LS30K

Just a warning and sorry for messing with your thread. Its a good warning I wish I had gotten about this drive.
Besides what I said this is a nice drive and cheap

Last edited:

TheTony

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2005
Don't mean to keep the thread derailed, but how common among other manufacturers (LiteOn, Pioneer, etc) is riplock? Was tempted to buy this model, but recently decided against it, primarily due to my experience with the last drive I bought (also LG). Not sure if I'll even need to be concerned with the limitation, but it's good to know if/when it exists.

CosmosRewind

Jun 12, 2005

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
I know that lite on is not locked since my buddy has an 8x and it rips at 8x..he can rip a blu in 17 minutes, my lg takes 59 on the same disk.
Cosmos is correct they state riplock is 1x but on cdinfo and other sites they said it starts at 2x and got to 4x so 3x is a good average.

hey I have a whopping 6 blu-ray movies i have ripped but that is over 3 hours wasted so far. All for drm and protecting the companies from me wanting to put MY movies on my HTPC what really makes me mad is why a co like LG is doing this when most of the others do not and then not telling the customer what they are getting until its too late.

mikeford very sorry for derailing this post of a good deal and turning it into something else but like I said this should be in the drive information by the manufacture not something hidden by them.

CosmosRewind

Jun 12, 2005
etrin, have you found a newer flash update tool for this drive? The one that shipped on the CD doesn't appear to be compatible with Win7. From reading comments elsewhere, the only way to update this drive seems to be this tool (because of it's OEM nature or some such nonsense).

Obviously if someone has found a source to get firmware without the tool, that would be very helpful to everyone that has one.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
mikeford very sorry for derailing this post of a good deal and turning it into something else but like I said this should be in the drive information by the manufacture not something hidden by them.

No derail, just more info, like most discounted products it has plus and minus. Despite the riplock, I am not seeing many that are unhappy with the unit, most are very happy, and report an average 3x bluray ripping speed. If the main intended use is ripping, maybe a more expensive option would be better?

Main point for many is that nothing is beating the price, nothing all that close even. I pay Calif tax on Newegg, so I would be VERY happy to find a net cheaper alternate option.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
want to give people some advice on this drive.
I have one and IF you ever think of ripping a blu ray movie to your hard drive.
This unit (all LG units) is equipped with riplock that slows the drive down to 1X reads.
Most lg firmware patches exist to remove this but NOT this drive.
Its listed as commercial but there are not files for this particular drive.
make sure and NOT to try flashing this with LG WH10LS30 firmware patch you will brick this drive
its a LG WH10LS30K

Just a warning and sorry for messing with your thread. Its a good warning I wish I had gotten about this drive.
Besides what I said this is a nice drive and cheap

Interesting...question for you, is this just limited to LG's blu-ray burners? I have a LG blu-ray drive (UH10LS20) and haven't seen any issues with this.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Very tempting, but I have a blu ray ROM and I have no use for burned blu rays right now. Maybe when they get to about 50 cents a disk though.