Question 980Ti SC Edition hitting high temps suddenly

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I hate to ask because I'm fairly certain I know the answer, but is this a sign my GPU is finally dying? I played Escape From Tarkov and Torchlight 2 last night for a few hours each with no issues (temps never rose high enough for alarm) but tonight, after just thirty minutes on Torchlight 2, my GPU alarm popped up and said it was sitting at 83C (181F). I just tested a few things and simply sitting at the main menu caused my GPU to jump from 50C to 81C in about fifteen seconds (I'm in the states, but the EVGA Precision Tool shows temperature in Celsius for some reason). I haven't overclocked this one so it's not that and after the first time it crashed I cleaned out the vents but there was hardly any dust in there. Also, the sides of my case have been removed and the room my PC sits in is fairly cold and the fan is still spinning like normal, so it shouldn't be overheating from any of the usual things.

I was planning on building a new PC early last year but the pandemic caused prices to skyrocket and I refuse to pay $3,000 for a new card, but if this one is on its last leg, then I might start looking around to see what's available.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
We're praying for you :p

Agreed on doing some light disassembly, pressurized air on the board/heatsink (just to get the angles you cannot get to while assembled) and a repaste.

Alternative is to let the thing just keep plugging away. While 83 degrees is... not great... its certainly not in the "card will fail if you use it" range either.

I'm guessing outside of the increased temp, there isn't any real effect on game performance or stability?

I've thought about repasting my 980TI (was a year old when I bought it... 5 years ago) but right now I'm sticking to the old adage "if it aint broke, don't break it trying to fix it".

Reactions: NTMBK

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Game went to 9FPS then crashed.
Well, you got nothing to lose now. Get that cooler off, replace the thermal paste, clean all the dust out of the heatsink and try again. When I repasted my RX480 8GB last year the original paste applied at the factory became hard as a rock. There is a good chance your card is salvageable with repaste.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
You can also install MSI AB and cap your power @80%. That should keep the temps more under control. Also go into nvidia CP and cap fps 2-3 below refresh rate.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Update on repasting. Took some time, but I got it apart and yes, the old paste was like removing metal. Got new paste applied and things SEEM to be working. I'll be slowly testing things over the next few days.
Hopefully reapplying the thermal paste does the trick. With that being said my reference gtx 980ti has always ran 83-84c and 86-87c when overclocked. I have never experienced any crashing issues.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Hopefully reapplying the thermal paste does the trick. With that being said my reference gtx 980ti has always ran 83-84c and 86-87c when overclocked. I have never experienced any crashing issues.

If you wish to lower your temps by a huge margin (and fan noise) think about getting a kraken. They are easy to install and work great.