9800gtx oc help

McRipper

Aug 26, 2008
This is my first attempt at ocing so you can laugh at me if you want as long as you answer my questions, lol.

I am using RivaTuner 2.1 to oc my Zotac 9800gtx. I set up Fan profiles, schedules, etc. The card is stock. I oced 800/2000/1200 from 675/1688/1100. 42c idle and I ran 3dmark06 (13400 score) and it went up to 60c then cooled back down. I then installed CPU-z, HWmonitor and oced my cpu e8400 through BIOS (FSB 366 from 333). I didn't change the voltage. Everything loaded fine but when I ran hwmonitor, I noticed the GPU was 58c-60c idle. I set the GPU to default and it was still 58c-60c. The cpu was 42c idle.

So, my questions are: are those temps normal? Is running GPU fan at 60% constantly ok? I don't want to do anything dramatic with the oc. Just something to get a little extra performance without changing voltage or buying a cooler for the GPU. I have a CPU f/hs. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
What are your fan profiles set to ? Percentages ?

And are you sure your profiles are working when you use them ?

McRipper

Aug 26, 2008
I set up 3 fan profiles: 60%, 80% and 100%. That's the thing, I don't know if they are working or not. I want to say yes because after I ran 3dmark06, the temp got up to 59c but gradually came back to 42c. It wasn't until after I oc'ed the CPU, the temp was 60c idle. I checked the fan speeds through RT and it showed 35%. I applied the 60% fan profile and it cooled.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Check the event monitor graph in Rivatuner and check and see what the fan is running at with each profile active.

But I would imagine, that for a 9800GTX, 42c is pretty good if you ask me. And to be quite honest...even running at 59c is pretty good.

Alot of people would love to have a GPU run that cool.

McRipper

Aug 26, 2008
Originally posted by: JPB
Check the event monitor graph in Rivatuner and check and see what the fan is running at with each profile active.

But I would imagine, that for a 9800GTX, 42c is pretty good if you ask me. And to be quite honest...even running at 59c is pretty good.

Then what am I complaing about? LOL

Seriously, those temps seem ok? I thought initially that my oc was too much.

Are the gpu fans ok? Meaning, if I ran it at 60% constantly, will it be ok? Or should I only do that when I need to?

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: McRipper
Originally posted by: JPB

Then what am I complaing about? LOL

Seriously, those temps seem ok? I thought initially that my oc was too much.

Are the gpu fans ok? Meaning, if I ran it at 60% constantly, will it be ok? Or should I only do that when I need to?

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong at all with your GPU temps. Hell, even the 3870 in my wifes PC doesnt run that cool :)

I think it would be fine at 60%

Now if you had something like a HD 4850 and seen it get close to 70c or 80c at load. Then I would start worrying.

ThaJollyMan

Jun 10, 2008
I have my 9800 gtx @ 800/2000/2300....at full load with fans at 75% it doesnt usually get above 60*c...when i play crysis for a few hours it gets into the low 60's but cools very quickly. When i am not playing games i dont have the fan speed up as high for less nois...about 50% and it idles at >45*c. The card can handle it though...i oc'd it one day and forgot to up the fan speed...the temps got into the low 90's...but the card didnt hic-up at all, and i was playing with it at that temp. for approx. 45 mins. I still runs great.

McRipper

Aug 26, 2008
Originally posted by: ThaJollyMan
I have my 9800 gtx @ 800/2000/2300....at full load with fans at 75% it doesnt usually get above 60*c...when i play crysis for a few hours it gets into the low 60's but cools very quickly. When i am not playing games i dont have the fan speed up as high for less nois...about 50% and it idles at >45*c. The card can handle it though...i oc'd it one day and forgot to up the fan speed...the temps got into the low 90's...but the card didnt hic-up at all, and i was playing with it at that temp. for approx. 45 mins. I still runs great.

This is great to know info, thanks ThaJollyMan!!!