974 Fans attend MLB game but they list official attendance of 10,377? (PIC)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ys-vs-white-sox-game-at-guaranteed-rate-field

Tampa Bay Rays vs White Sox

hi-res-f5e20da99a462762b340477da3a95a71_crop_north.jpg

So why the discrepancy in attendance?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
They are probably using ticket sales instead of door attendance. Suites and corporate sales are pretty fixed and sold before season even starts.

Reactions: rh71 and zzuupp

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
They are probably using ticket sales instead of door attendance. Suites and corporate sales are pretty fixed and sold before season even starts.
This is exactly right. MLB reports paid attendance of tickets sold.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
NBA does this all the time.

They're "breaking attendance records" but most of the stadiums I see on TV seem less than half full.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The surprising thing to me is that those numbers mean over 9,000 paid-for tickets couldn't find their way into the hands of people who would have used them.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The surprising thing to me is that those numbers mean over 9,000 paid-for tickets couldn't find their way into the hands of people who would have used them.

That's only surprising until you read the fine print: It's Rays vs White Sox. If someone offered me free tickets, free parking, free beers and free hot dogs at a Rays vs White Sox game I still wouldn't go unless a 7th-inning blow job was also included.

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
This...

Also hard to get excited about a game so early in the season. (season is way too long)
Plus the time of day is a big factor. No way I am going to sit in the sun in the afternoon for 3 hours.
Day games are hard during the week when most people are at work.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

There were a bunch of factors leading into this low attendance. From a different article:
  • The White Sox grounds crew had to clear off snow for Monday's game. It was likely many ticket-holders assumed the game would be cancelled. Instead, it was 35 degrees with 11 mile per hour wind at the time of the first pitch. Tuesday, it was 43 degrees at the time of the first pitch. Further, Monday's game was originally scheduled to be a night game, but the White Sox elected to move it up due to the cold weather.
  • The White Sox are still in rebuild mode and sit 3-7 after Tuesday's loss.
  • The Rays aren't exactly huge a draw as an opponent.
  • These were day games during the work week. I have no doubt that all the people shaming fans for not showing up would love to use a vacation in order to watch a sub-par team play a pretty bad team in 35 degree weather after a last-minute time change, right? Yeah, of course you would. I totally believe you.
  • Finally, it's not exactly an awesome ballpark but it could have been! Read the story Dayn Perry wrote on the matter.

Reactions: OutHouse

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
There were a bunch of factors leading into this low attendance. From a different article:
  • The White Sox grounds crew had to clear off snow for Monday's game. It was likely many ticket-holders assumed the game would be cancelled. Instead, it was 35 degrees with 11 mile per hour wind at the time of the first pitch. Tuesday, it was 43 degrees at the time of the first pitch. Further, Monday's game was originally scheduled to be a night game, but the White Sox elected to move it up due to the cold weather.
  • The White Sox are still in rebuild mode and sit 3-7 after Tuesday's loss.
  • The Rays aren't exactly huge a draw as an opponent.
  • These were day games during the work week. I have no doubt that all the people shaming fans for not showing up would love to use a vacation in order to watch a sub-par team play a pretty bad team in 35 degree weather after a last-minute time change, right? Yeah, of course you would. I totally believe you.
  • Finally, it's not exactly an awesome ballpark but it could have been! Read the story Dayn Perry wrote on the matter.

Came here to post this. I live in chicago, it was quite cold for baseball yesterday.

Reactions: Homerboy

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
As a soccer fan, it still blows my mind that baseball teams play every day. Isn't it more efficient if teams played once or twice a week instead?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
As a soccer fan, it still blows my mind that baseball teams play every day. Isn't it more efficient if teams played once or twice a week instead?

They generally play about 5.5 times a week on average. It's not about efficiency, it's about profits. You make more playing more, you get more fans overall, you sell more merchandise, you get higher TV contracts. You make less per game, but more overall.The NBA and NHL face the same problem. Too many games reduces the interest in each game, especially early and mid-season.

The problem with baseball is that it's a shitty product. The games are dull and take too long and fans often find something else to do. Especially early season when the weather is marginal. Nobody wants to drink beer when it's 40* out and nobody can sit through a baseball game without being plastered.

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I agree that the attendance number is noteworthy, but it's not like the average attendance is less than 1,000 all the time. This was a result of a multitude of negative factors. Who really wants to sit outside for 3 hours in the middle of winter to watch baseball?

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Unused seating is kind of the same problem as food in accidentally-opened containers. Sure it would be nice to find someone consume it. But then, word gets out that you're offering freebies and people then only show up for freebies.
Worst case, some employee "accidentally" discards enough food to feed his buddies, OR some fan loses seats because he was late to the ballpark.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Games last to long, batters take forever. Make them stay inside the box and hurry up!

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Turns out it has more to do with a shitty product than with shitty weather. Yesterday the Florida Marlins drew about 6,000 *officially* which looked more like 1000 or so actual bodies in the seats. Their double AA affiliate the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (you want fries with that?) drew about 7,000.