9700 pro shows up as two devices?!

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
I just installed my gigbyte radeon 9700pro and my roomate also intalled one (his was a sapphire though).

The installation was going smoothly, but windows seems to find two devices (a radeon 9700 series and a radeon series secondary).

After checking further both are written as PCI bus for some reason , and the first one has the IRQ and some memory ranges, while the secondary just has two memory ranges.

Ive tried to uninstall it (the secondary) but windows keeps bringing it back. I can disable it, but I dont know what that would do.
My roommate has the same problem.

I have win2k sp2
roommate has winxp pro (no service packs)

anyone else have this problem?
If so how did you solve it?

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Its not a problem. Its supposed to be two seperate I believe because there are two seperate ramdacs. Someone correct me if im wrong, but that was my impression. Mine shows up with two also, not a prob for me yet.

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
Thanks for the reply then my other question would be why are they listed as PCI devices, and does that effect their performance?

as a note: the secondary device has no input/output IO nor does it have an IRQ

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
I wouldnt worry too much about what windows (XP, 2000, 98/ME/Whatever) reports really. Mine show up as PCI Slot 7 also. It also shows my Yamaha F1 to be a SCSI CD-RW. My IBM 60GXP 60GB HD is also reported as SCSI and so on.

Id say run some benchmarks of your favorite game and see how it works. If your scoring high (FPS, 3DMARK, or whatever floats your boat), then things must be working right.