9700 Pro...OEM or Retail?

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
I'm looking at two 9700 Pros right now, one at Googlegear for 329 with 1.50 second day shipping that is Sapphiretech, and OEM (not with the software bundle) and the other is 330 for the ATI retail card. It seems that retail products are around $340-350, and OEM cards are in the $310-340 range. Is the price difference worth it? I do like those boxes :) What do you all buy? OEM?

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Buy retail for sure.
ATI Retail cards have higher clock and memory speeds than their OEM counterparts.
you also get software, any other extra plugs, chords, and a longer warranty. not to mention a pretty box you can show off. ;)

Retail hands down.

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
Wow, i had no idea. Good thing i asked...I'm looking at a Sapphiretech retail for 322, shipping free :) joy!

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
ATI Retail cards have higher clock and memory speeds than their OEM counterparts.

Except for the 9700 Pros. All 9700 Pros, OEM & Retail are clocked the same, and most are built by ATi.

Buy retail because the warranty is 3 years vs. 1 year for OEM.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
buy retail as ati retail is a built by not a powered by and drivers are available from ati.
also powered by cards are not supported by ati(generally) and usually not clocked as high etc...

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
I seen somewhere that sapphire makes the retail board that ati sells also. Even though I would go retail. Few extra bucks for a longer warranty and a few games depending on which one you get.

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
buy retail as ati retail is a built by not a powered by and drivers are available from ati.
also powered by cards are not supported by ati(generally) and usually not clocked as high etc...

That didn't make any sense at all...what on earth?

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
i think he means genuine ATI not Sapphire or any other brands... heh

my guess is that you can't use ATI catalyst drivers with anything but ATI cards? (this is what i gather from wolfsraider's post)

i get it..

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Spiffae
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
buy retail ,as ati retail is a built by, not a powered by, and drivers are available from ati.

That didn't make any sense at all...what on earth?

go to http://www.ati.com see the built by on one side

and powered by on the other

then click on them both looking for a driver.

sorry for the confusion guess ive had too much coffee lol

is this clearer

mike

Spiffae

Nov 17, 2002
as far as i understand, the Sapphiretech board is identical to the ATI reference design. the drivers in those two sections of the ATI page are identical. both boards are clocked the same, and the only difference is the heatsink/fan (look at the cool Sapphire one!!).

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
All ATi Radeon 9000/9500/9700 boards are clocked identically regardless of manufacturer and OME/Retail status, there is absolutely no difference in clockspeed.
Thankfully ATi has finally tightened up their third party clockspeed requirements somewhat so one no longer needs to worry about clockspeed variations as you did with the 7500/8500.

Whether this will change in the future is open to debate, but for now it doesnt matter whether you purchase Retail or OEM. If it's an R9700Pro it's coming clocked at 325/310. If it's a regular R9700 then it'll be clocked at 275/275.

Additionally, all ATi Radeon 9700 Pro boards are manufactured by one company, the only company that presently plans to manufacture their own models is Tyan and they've yet to release their R9700. Regardless of whom you purchase from third party or ATi, you'll get a board manufactured by Saphire.
If you want an R9700board manufactured directly through ATi's own fabrication facilities then your stuck with the AIW R9700.

So personally... I'd go with OEM.
I don't need the software, annd I'd only keep the board for slightly over a year in all likelyhood so the longer warranty would mean little to me.

If you want a 3yr warranty, or if you want the bundled software then buy Retail. Otherwise get OEM.

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000
In the US,
newegg has ATI original retail and Sapphire retail, just $10 difference.
I'd get ATI original retail even they're the same cards at this time.
$10 is really nothing to a $300+ video card.

In other countries,
ATI brand becomes an import item, ATI partner brands are local item,
they'll have a greater price gap,
I'd get ATI partner brands.

Beater

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2001
As said earlier if warranty is the only reason you're gonna buy retail it doesn't really make much sense does it:confused:! Anyone buying a cutting edge card ain't likely ta have it more than a year anyway. Also I've rarely seen vid cards that last a year and then die...................less of course you're overclocking the snot outta them LOL:D!

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Rand
All ATi Radeon 9000/9500/9700 boards are clocked identically regardless of manufacturer and OME/Retail status, there is absolutely no difference in clockspeed.
Thankfully ATi has finally tightened up their third party clockspeed requirements somewhat so one no longer needs to worry about clockspeed variations as you did with the 7500/8500.

Whether this will change in the future is open to debate, but for now it doesnt matter whether you purchase Retail or OEM. If it's an R9700Pro it's coming clocked at 325/310. If it's a regular R9700 then it'll be clocked at 275/275.

Additionally, all ATi Radeon 9700 Pro boards are manufactured by one company, the only company that presently plans to manufacture their own models is Tyan and they've yet to release their R9700. Regardless of whom you purchase from third party or ATi, you'll get a board manufactured by Saphire.
If you want an R9700board manufactured directly through ATi's own fabrication facilities then your stuck with the AIW R9700.

I don't need the software, annd I'd only keep the board for slightly over a year in all likelyhood so the longer warranty would mean little to me.

If you want a 3yr warranty, or if you want the bundled software then buy Retail. Otherwise get OEM.

sorry thought that was still a difference

thanks rand as always you are on the ball

mike

The_Lurker

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2000
After that whole Radeon 8500 clock speed fiasco, it seems ATI has insisted their OEm partners to clock their cards to the same speed as ATI specs are. So right now, it seems all the ATI cards in the 9xxx series is clocked as ATi stated them to be. SO all Radeon 9700 Pro's will be clocked the same, regardless whether they're sold as Retail cards or OEM. Also, Sapphire Tech does make cards for ATI, in fact almost all ATI branded cards are Sapphire Tech cards. Only exception would be a small number of cards made in ATi's facilities here in Canada.

Y23KC

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
I have a Sapphire 9700 pro and it is clocked at 324/310. The catalyst drivers work fine on it and it is technically the same as built by ati cards. Like previously mentioned, all 9700 pro cards are clocked the same and usually will run at about the same price as built by ati cards.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Rand

according to newegg's page the aiw9700 is also made by sapphire. ATI moved their manufacturing out of canada last year, which is why all the cards are made by sapphire in china now.

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Retail if you need DVI-VGA adapter, and all the other TV-out/S-Video cables.

revvy

Jun 22, 2001
I'd go for the retail over its oem counterpart for the no hassle warranty offered by ATI as well
you should expect better quality from "Built by ATI" products anyway