970 and 980 have been out for a year

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
Any idea when Nvidia is going to release their next set of cards? I'm having a hard time justifying upgrading my GTX 770 to what is currently available at the current prices and if I knew something new was coming out in the next 1-2 months I would definitely wait. It's just killing me knowing Fallout 4 is on the horizon and I'm wanting to upgrade to a 34" ultra wide or maybe even a 40" 4k.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Not until 2016 and likely not in Q1...so it will be more than 3 months for sure but likely over 6 months.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, at this point, I would have expected to hear some news for the next gen cards using the new process nodes, even if they are coming out in 6 months. I have the sneaking suspicion that we won't see anything until next July-August at the earliest.

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
Ahhh, not the news I wanted to hear but good to hear it either way. Thanks for the input.

Maybe I'll just suck it up and get a 980 Ti.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
honestly these days if you're going to upgrade your display it only makes sense to go with an adaptive sync standard. FreeSync looks to have more momentum and its still building. LG makes an ultra-wide with FreeSync but its stuck at 48hz-75hz frequency range. You'd have to mod the monitor firmware to get that range lower because 48 is pretty useless on the bottom end. I've seen folks mod down to 33hz on other ~45hz freesync monitors. 33-75hz range is solid. Of course, overclocking is not guaranteed so it might be worth waiting for one with a better default range.

IMO cheap hold-over GPU (r9 290, 290x, 390) plus 3440x1440p FreeSync Ultrawide while you wait for 16nm to come out OR 980 Ti plus high-refresh rate 1440p are pretty much the ways to go right now. 4k seems like it will really come into its own next gen on 16nm. I find ultra-wide/Eyefinity set ups to be more immersive than 4k. I also prefer high refresh rate to 4k. 4k makes the most sense for people doing photo/print/media work

This is the NVidia subforum. You want to talk about AMD? Go there and post.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Any idea when Nvidia is going to release their next set of cards? I'm having a hard time justifying upgrading my GTX 770 to what is currently available at the current prices and if I knew something new was coming out in the next 1-2 months I would definitely wait. It's just killing me knowing Fallout 4 is on the horizon and I'm wanting to upgrade to a 34" ultra wide or maybe even a 40" 4k.

On a side note, I am on a GTX 670 and just couldn't justify the move to 980 TI either. While it is a great card, it just isn't the performance boost a process node shrink will usually get and I am not going to spend the money on it knowing that the process node shrink cards will have a good 50%+ better performance, and possibly as high as 70-80% as is typically seen (especially with the fact that they seem to be doing a double shrink this time, which means we could see even higher if they keep the chips at about the same size).

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I am not going to spend the money on it knowing that the process node shrink cards will have a good 50%+ better performance, and possibly as high as 70-80% as is typically seen (especially with the fact that they seem to be doing a double shrink this time, which means we could see even higher if they keep the chips at about the same size).

Its a pretty safe assumption to say that the new chips will not be as big as Fiji and GM200. Both of those chips pushed 28nm to its absolute maximum size on a very mature process.
For the sake of yields and simplicity I think its more likely the 16nm cards end up being closer to the historical norm for GPU die size. First gen of chips probably between ~250mm2 and ~400mm2.

So we'll see better than normal scaling since 28 to 16nm is basically a double jump, but that is countered out by reduced scaling from a pure performance perspective since die size will almost certainly retreat back from ~600mm2. Where we land at the end of it all is hard to say, especially since HBM2 will complicate the matter further. Suffice to say, I think 16nm is going to be a big deal

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
It's a bit much to expect 600mm2 dies on a new process without being ridiculously expensive. We'll see smaller productions first and maybe 600mm2 by early 2017 if the yields can be there. Even a 400mm2 will be a screamer for its size, but we're not going to see double 980Ti/Fury X performance in the next year or so.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
What I would want from the new generation of graphics cards is GTX 970 4GB performance at GTX 960 2GB prices. $650 graphics cards might as well not exist from my point of view.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
4K gaming?

GTX 980ti and enjoy it now :) one year from now sell it and invest on newer generation card

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
On a side note, I am on a GTX 670 and just couldn't justify the move to 980 TI either. While it is a great card, it just isn't the performance boost a process node shrink will usually get and I am not going to spend the money on it knowing that the process node shrink cards will have a good 50%+ better performance, and possibly as high as 70-80% as is typically seen (especially with the fact that they seem to be doing a double shrink this time, which means we could see even higher if they keep the chips at about the same size).

I noticed a huge improvement upgrading to gtx970 from gtx 670. Night & day. It pretty much doubled all my FPS in games.

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
What I would want from the new generation of graphics cards is GTX 970 4GB performance at GTX 960 2GB prices. $650 graphics cards might as well not exist from my point of view.

Don't we all?

I paid just under $300 for my GTX970 almost a year ago (December or January). I'm quite pleased to see that they're holding flat on value...I get more time/value for the money that way. :p

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
honestly these days if you're going to upgrade your display it only makes sense to go with an adaptive sync standard. FreeSync looks to have more momentum and its still building. LG makes an ultra-wide with FreeSync but its stuck at 48hz-75hz frequency range. You'd have to mod the monitor firmware to get that range lower because 48 is pretty useless on the bottom end. I've seen folks mod down to 33hz on other ~45hz freesync monitors. 33-75hz range is solid. Of course, overclocking is not guaranteed so it might be worth waiting for one with a better default range.

IMO cheap hold-over GPU (r9 290, 290x, 390) plus 3440x1440p FreeSync Ultrawide while you wait for 16nm to come out OR 980 Ti plus high-refresh rate 1440p are pretty much the ways to go right now. 4k seems like it will really come into its own next gen on 16nm. I find ultra-wide/Eyefinity set ups to be more immersive than 4k. I also prefer high refresh rate to 4k. 4k makes the most sense for people doing photo/print/media work

Why would that make sense for him? That is some really strange suggestion to a guy with a gtx770 asking when the next nvidia card comes out while posting in the nvidia sub forum.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Why would that make sense for him? That is some really strange suggestion to a guy with a gtx770 asking when the next nvidia card comes out while posting in the nvidia sub forum.

Read the post. What part was hard for you to understand? Try reading the first two sentences.

Last edited:

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
Summer, early autumn 2016.

I wouldn't buy a new card if I were you. You could probably find a few used cards for good deals. If you aren't an NV fanboy, a used 290 is a shockingly good deal now and provides a large boost over the 770 for 150-180 dollars.

This is the NVidia subforum, not AMD.

You wan to talk AMD, go to that subforum

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I would say wait, but you might be waiting awhile. There's no telling how long it'll be before anything Pascal other than GP100 shows up. I'm sure there will be rebrands (respin?) of Maxwell 2 in 2016 but when and how high up the chain is unclear.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

Outside of dual-GM200 (red equivalent) card with a $1000+ price tag, possibly the often rumored but MIA 960Ti, and perhaps a fully unlocked 980Ti Black Edition, I don't see anything earth shattering coming out in the next 1-2 months. I would say be on the look out for sales on a 970 (red equivalent) or $360-30 EVGA B-stock 980 cards that are a good value compared to retail prices of $480.

You could also wait until FO4 comes out to see how various GPUs stack against one another at various resolutions. It's always best to wait until the game actually comes out before upgrading for it unless you stumble upon a very good deal. What also makes it challenging to predict FO4 performance is that if the game allows for mods, it's going to take time to see how certain cards perform with a lot of mods.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
You could also wait until FO4 comes out to see how various GPUs stack against one another at various resolutions.
This. Don't make the same mistake that we have seen so many others make, and waste money on the wrong card, before the game even releases.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Because your second (and third) sentences are both about FreeSync, which is not Nvidia tech

headfoot said:
IMO cheap hold-over GPU (r9 290, 290x, 390) plus 3440x1440p FreeSync Ultrawide while you wait for 16nm to come out OR 980 Ti plus high-refresh rate 1440p are pretty much the ways to go right now

Last edited: