960 Pro 512GB m.2 for improved desktop VM performance?

DaMoot

Apr 19, 2017
I'm hoping someone with VMware Workstation 12+ or ESXi experience could chime in on this.

Right now I'm running an i5-4690k, 24GB memory, 850 EVO 256G C drive, 2TB WD Black drive for VM/Games, on a GA-Z97X-SLI motherboard.

Host is Windows 10 Pro running on C drive. Guest is Windows 10 Pro running from the Black. Pre-allocated. Entirely defragmented, both host-level and within VMware, and within the guest. Guest has 4 cores, 8GB of memory.

This setup used to run extremely well with no lag, no chugging. But I've recently begun experiencing stuttering and lagging issues in the guest OS, at times extremely bad where focusing/restoring Outlook (or another application like Firefox) will freeze the guest for 5s to 2 minutes. System chimes will come through choppy and broken, sometimes taking 3-4 times as long to play. And it takes absolutely forever to pause the VM at the end of the day. It's been pausing for the past 10 minutes so far. While it's writing out to disk anything on that disk is unusable. 30 second response times and all that not so good stuff.

Low host utilization every time I have issues, except for that WD Black that chugs away. It doesn't seem to be a drive issue either because I game and record some gaming sessions in very high quality 1080p60 video from the same drive without any chugging or loading issues.

While I'm not exactly sure why this is happening, I would like to rebuild both host and guest starting from scratch and I'm wanting to either combine both OSes on a single drive (the m.2 drive) or put host on the m.2, and guest on the 850 EVO.

My question is this. Would it be acceptable to build host and guest on the same m.2 drive given the vast improvement in performance over standard SSD drives, or would it be best to run host on m.2 and guest on the 850?

Thanks!

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Make sure it isn't just Windows Update or some other process chewing up CPU on either the host or the guest.

Our QA staff have had Win10 VMs become unusable for awhile while Windows Update was forcing a mass of downloads to happen during normal work hours. Windows Update knows best, you will obey.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Our QA staff have had Win10 VMs become unusable for awhile while Windows Update was forcing a mass of downloads to happen during normal work hours. Windows Update knows best, you will obey.
Considering the OP is using Win 10 Pro I might as well chime in with this piece of advice: Win 10 Pro has the option to configure update behavior. In the case of my HTPC I have decided to stop the automatic process, the system will simply notify me of the new updates.

Users of Win 10 Home will just have to obey.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BonzaiDuck Memory and Storage 4

ASK THE COMMUNITY