9500, Wizard hack, and Rivatuner HELP!!

frustrated2

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2000
First off hope this is in the right place if not oh well sorry.

Can someone give me some detailed instructions on how to do this stuff?? I am wondering what driver versions it works with etc.?? What is the newest ATI driver that is non directX 9?? This is my first ati card and I must say I am not impressed with there ease of use so far.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
You can use the 3.0a Cat.'s, you don't have to have DX9 for them. They are great. As far as the 9500 to 9700 software hack, i'm not sure. I hard modded mine before the software patch even came out. Read thru the Rage3d Forums.

frustrated2

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: hollowman
Software

hardware

Just read through them carefully and you can figure it out.

Mine works great at 9700 OCed to 315/300. The best card I've ever owned! =)

I have read through these and I don't find any of the files he talks about. Just don't get the whole thing. Sometimes things aren't as obvious to some as others:)

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Alright, I just did the hack. I had quite a few problems myself but solved them.

Applying these patches would be easy if it wasn't for windows' driver digital signing thing. Digital signing will keep restoring hacked drivers into their original form. The solution is to hack the drivers before they're installed.

This is how it is done with riva tuner.

First, uninstall any old version of catalyst. Also do a search for ati2mtag.sys in your windows\ directory and its subdirectories and delete any found files that are 534KB big.

When you run the Catalyst driver archive, it will unarchive all its files into the c:\ati\ directory. The exact location varies depending on your OS and which catalyst version you're running. For me, the directory was named: C:\ATI\support\wxp-w2k-radeon-7-81-021218a-007192c-efg\2KXP_INF\BX_07038.

In a subdirectory in this directory is a file called ati2mtag.sy_. Find this file and go there using the command line. At the command line type:

expand ati2mtag.sy_ ati2mtag.sys

Then rename ati2mtag.sy_ into something else to get it out of the way.

Now run rivatuner as per instructions and point the hacking script to the ati2mtag.sys you just expanded. DO NOT point the script to the windows\system32\drivers directory.

Now the drivers have been hacked. Install the drivers by running setup in the usual way.

After installation, you can verify that the correct file was installed by running this command:
fc /b C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys C:\ATI\support\wxp-w2k-radeon-7-81-021218a-007192c-efg\2KXP_INF\BX_07038\ati2mtag.sys

The result should be something like "no differences encountered"

frustrated2

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2000
I read somewhere after an almost endless search:(

The way to use rivatuner was this:

Get the appropriate file for your OS ( I run ME because I have never had a problem with and it runs flawlessly+I am to lazy to bother with XP:)) then you copy the file/script/patch into your patchscripts folder inside of the rivatuner program file. Then you go under the power user tab and go to patch/scripts button (3rd one from the left on the bottom). Then browse to windows/system folder and when riva finds the file patch it. Riva tells you the patch is successful I restarted and that was it.

What I wonder is why is it so hard for people to put things in simple plain english when it comes to stuff like this?? After I figured it out it took me about 5 minutes of my time to do this. Not a big deal and it will definately help someone out there;)

Also a bit of note I don't think wizard's hack will work with win ME. As the file has a different name in win ME than XP. I could be wrong on this and would like to hear so as I don't have 100% success with my mod. I get very faint checkerboard on 3dmark 2001 se nature bench only on the water, also later in the bench with the waves demo.

Anyone have any suggestions on this?? I really haven't spent alot of time messing with it so far. The card works nice and is quite a bit faster than my old geforce 2 gts:)