9500 PRO and silence

amoun

Nov 14, 2004
I just bought a Thermaltake Silent Boost and a Zalman ZM80D-HP VGA heatsink for my PC.

My question is regargind the Zalman, is it adequate to passivly cool my Saphire 9500 PRO??

My case and CPU (Ahlon XP 2500+ OC to 3200+) temps are no more than 2C above what they were with my Vantec Aeroflow and stock heatsink on my card. At idle Case ia 38C and CPU 47C. On load Case is 42C and CPU is 54C.

I tried looking on the net for reviews of the Zalman, all the test were done using newer cards than mine. Such as the 9700 PRO, 9800 PRO, 9800 XT, X800 PRO and X800 XT. The reviews on the 9000 series show that the zalman heatsink used alone increased temps by less than 5C. Which seams acceptable to me, right??

Obvisouly with the X series the heatsink did not suffice, but I'm not concerned since my card is no where near that fast and I do not plan to overclock my video card at all.

The other concern I had was regarding the heatpipes. I noticed that on both heatpipes, one ending was pointy while the other end was a bit flatened. Is there a purpose for this? Does it change the efficiancy of the heatpipes?
http://www.rojakpot.com/review...zm80d/heatpipe_big.jpg
http://pcsynapse.com/reviews/zm80d/zm12.jpg

So should I add a fan to my zalman heatsink and do the ends of the heatpipes matter?

Thanks guys and gals for any info you could provide :).

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Zalman is more then enough for the 9500 pro, its an awesome HS. I have the single heat pipe version on my 9500 Pro, no fan needed :thumbsup:

I'd definitely ditch the craptastic Thermaltake, the Silentboost is anything but silent. Thermaltake sucks :thumbsdown:

Check out the Zalman 7000 series or any Thermalrights + Panaflow or other low noise quality fan.

Oh, about the ends, no it doesn?t matter, just part of the manufacturing process.

amoun

Nov 14, 2004
I would have loved to get a zalman CPU heatsink, but I don't have mounting hole on my MSI K7N2 Delta L motherB.
The TT is fine... it's defenelty more silent than my old Vantec Aeroflow.... 5600 RPMs is just too much.

Just curious, what is your setup?? How many fans do you have in your case, and what you're av temps... I'm aksing to have a base for comparison.
I've got an Antec Lanboy with a smart blue power supply. I've optimized the airflow as much as possible in my case, and I'm trying to run it with no case fans.
So far I've had no problem, but I'm afraid of damaging my components, more specificly my vcard.

I was told that if you see artifacts on your monitor in means your GPU has been damaged, can you confrim this??

It's the only thing that has stopped me from running benchmarking tools, for fear that I might permanently damaga my video card.

thx for the info

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well the Aeroflow is pretty loud at full speed but I think they respond pretty well to undervolting so you could give that a try, the Aeroflow most likely better then the TT.

For comparison I'm running an Athlon XP2500+ (same as yours) at default speeds. The heatsink is a Alpha PAL8045 /w 80mm a Sunon fan that runs at 1500RPM under 50C, using speedfan to control the fan based on temp. Video card is passively cooled by a Zalman. Northbridge is also passive. Case is a Lian Li 6070 with sound damping material and 3 Panaflow L1a's running at 1/2 speed, also contolled by speedfan.

Running with no case fans is very bad idea, even if you have a fan that moves only 15CFM thats still 15x more air flow then you'd have by not having any fan at all.

Check out SpeedFan for controlling Fan speeds.

As for artifacts yeah you'll see them if your card is overheating but doing permanent damage is next to impossible unless your completely careless.

amoun

Nov 14, 2004
I'm having a hard time with speedfan... I set my desired cpu temps, associated the cpu temp to the cpu fan. Set the cpu fan to variate speed automaticly and told speedfan to use the automatic settings...

It drops down the percentage of the fan in the program, but nothing happens in my case....

thx again

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: amoun
I'm having a hard time with speedfan... I set my desired cpu temps, associated the cpu temp to the cpu fan. Set the cpu fan to variate speed automaticly and told speedfan to use the automatic settings...

It drops down the percentage of the fan in the program, but nothing happens in my case....

thx again

Well you have to have the fan/fans connected to the motherboard header (3 Pin MB connecter). Also not all of the headers are able to control fan speeds, so make you have the fans you want to control on the right headers.

I think there is a database of MBs that work with Speedfan on the Speedfan page. What board are you using?

amoun

Nov 14, 2004
My mobo is an MSI K7N2 Delta-L... it's not on the list... and I only have two headers. Both have fans connected to them and neither seems to throttle down, despite the % going down in the main window of speedfan.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: amoun
My mobo is an MSI K7N2 Delta-L... it's not on the list... and I only have two headers. Both have fans connected to them and neither seems to throttle down, despite the % going down in the main window of speedfan.

Well that kinda sucks :(.

If speedfan allows you to change the speed that would mean the board detected a sensor capable of controlling fans, I'm not sure why it wouldn?t be working. You could email the author and see what he says. Alternatively you could go with a hardware controller or find some fans that run quiet at 12v.

Your case uses 120mm fans?

amoun

Nov 14, 2004
I was thinking of getting some silenx fans or some nexus ones....
anyone got comments on those?

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
They are good to but are re-badged fans from different manufactures so they tend to be expensive. For the amount of air they move Panaflows can?t be beat.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I've heard that as well but that thread is dealing with 120mm fans, not 80mm. I can say that my Panaflow L1A's are dead silent when it comes to bearing/motor noise all that can be heard is moving air. There is allot of talk about Panaflows from China not being up to standard set by Jap versions. I can't personally comment on that, all mine are from Japan.

Either way its pretty moot if your using the TT Silent Boost as that would never pass SPCR standards.

Jappenese L1As can be had at Jab-Tech for $6.99.

amoun

Nov 14, 2004
I know the TT is not the quietest, but it was the best value for me. And allthough it's not silent like it's name, it's far better than what I had... But also it seems to be one of the best out there:
http://www.frostytech.com/arti...icleid=1636&page=4

If you look at the noise chart, the silent Boost is 8th. I used the review of the Aeroflow 2 cause it's the most recent socket A review I could find on their site.

Any specific reason why you don't recomend the silent boost?

btw thx for the site.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My bassis for not recomending TT is based on the fact they tend to exadderate their specs to point of making outright lies. It's not a terrible heatsink and it's by no means loud, it's just no where near the 21 dBA mark TT claims.

My point really was you won't be able to tell the differance between a Nexus or Panaflow with the Silent Boost in your system.

amoun

Nov 14, 2004
Problem fixed :)

I undervolted an antec fan I had to 5V and I can't hear it.

Thx for all the info