95% of house democrats voted to decriminalize the devil's lettuce while 80% of republicans voted against

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Laws like that become pointless in the age of legal pot. During the quasi-legal medical pot era, they could be rationalized.
Meh, I dunno about that. Growing your own is limited by the state, just like alcohol, and encourages control over a product that would be a target of criminal behavior otherwise. I'm generally fine with it. If you wanna grow your allowance outside starting in spring, won't hear a peep from me.

On that topic, there's a farm in CT that I drive by from time to time, used to grow tobacco. A couple years ago I saw the plants change to MJ looking plants, but obviously my first thought was there was no way they were THC producing since there was literally NO protection of the plants. By the end of the season, there were multiple signs that said "these plants are NOT THC producing". I just chuckled, assumed they were honestly growing CBD strains, but I think they were finding plants missing as I saw some holes on the edge :p

edited for clarity

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iRONic and Zorba

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Sunshine is free. Indoor growing is a function of what the law allows, not of economics.
Economically, harvesting your crop when the sun/weather allows won't allow you to be profitable.
The big indoor producers are harvesting DAILY.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
By the end of the season, there were multiple signs that said "these plants are NOT THC producing". I just chuckled, assumed they were honestly growing CBD strains, but I think they were finding plants missing as I saw some holes on the edge :p

edited for clarity
Hemp.

Way OT... my mom picked and hung that tobacco in Windsor Locks when she was in HS.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Good, MA dragged their feet for a while sussing out the "details", seemed more like they just didn't wanna do it.
Implementation in CT was also slow. Dunno why. I wasn't interested in paying $300 for the card at that point.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
It was $100 to the state and $200 to the certifying doctor every year when I lived there.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Isn’t that part of the allure? The more accessible weed becomes, the more mistakes are made with my Chipotle orders.
Is that really true though? I live in a state where marijuana is fully accessible and there are stores on every 4 blocks in my city selling it. The ability of businesses and government to function is no worse, and probably better (it's a generally decently run state actually) than other states I've lived in that explicitly outlaw it.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Is that really true though? I live in a state where marijuana is fully accessible and there are stores on every 4 blocks in my city selling it. The ability of businesses and government to function is no worse, and probably better (it's a generally decently run state actually) than other states I've lived in that explicitly outlaw it.
As is the case with everything, what’s needed is data. I’ve certainly seen more than a few cases of young kids getting high in parking lots and then driving off. There’s some data indicating that there’s a link between heavy marijuana use and mental illness, anxiety disorder and depression.

I support the decriminalization of possession. I don’t think its wise to make it as accessible as alcohol, and I don’t really get the allure of it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
As is the case with everything, what’s needed is data. I’ve certainly seen more than a few cases of young kids getting high in parking lots and then driving off. There’s some data indicating that there’s a link between heavy marijuana use and mental illness, anxiety disorder and depression.

I support the decriminalization of possession. I don’t think its wise to make it as accessible as alcohol, and I don’t really get the allure of it.

Spread that FUD. We've had retail marijuana here in CO since 2013 and we're doing fine with it. If you want data, I'm sure there's plenty of it.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

ironically, marijuana is MORE accessible for high schoolers than alcohol. why? alcohol sales are heavily regulated, marijuana sales are not.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
ironically, marijuana is MORE accessible for high schoolers than alcohol. why? alcohol sales are heavily regulated, marijuana sales are not.

Attitudes like starbucks are people who think their high and mighty stance is based on reason, when it's really just the result of decades of lies and propaganda. We allow far worse legally than MJ.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm way more worried about someone driving on prescription drugs or alcohol than weed. I don't think it's even comparable.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm way more worried about someone driving on prescription drugs or alcohol than weed. I don't think it's even comparable.

Our decisions left us with the inability to even determine immediate intoxication from MJ. There's no comparable test to a breathalyzer, just ridiculous field sobriety tests that plenty of people can't pass sober. On top of that, the failed WoD hasn't stopped MJ from being widely available. Our laws are outdated, our society widely agrees, but it will be a generation before the propaganda wears off.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Our decisions left us with the inability to even determine immediate intoxication from MJ. There's no comparable test to a breathalyzer, just ridiculous field sobriety tests that plenty of people can't pass sober. On top of that, the failed WoD hasn't stopped MJ from being widely available. Our laws are outdated, our society widely agrees, but it will be a generation before the propaganda wears off.
They just need a reliable saliva test that can determine THC usage in the past 6 hours or so.

After 6 hours, any inebriation is gone.

Something like this.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Fair point, although I still don’t get the disproportionate amount of time and energy dedicated to marijuana. Never understood the appeal. It’s not a harmless drug, its simply relatively harmless compared to other things.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Fair point, although I still don’t get the disproportionate amount of time and energy dedicated to marijuana. Never understood the appeal. It’s not a harmless drug, its simply relatively harmless compared to other things.

Plenty of information out there to tell you why. Nobody is stopping you from looking it up

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
They just need a reliable saliva test that can determine THC usage in the past 6 hours or so.

After 6 hours, any inebriation is gone.

Something like this.

Maybe that will happen, although that website is a tad suspicious.

It also says smoking specifically, no mention of vaping, or edibles.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Maybe that will happen, although that website is a tad suspicious.

It also says smoking specifically, no mention of vaping, or edibles.
LabCorp (an I'm sure others) can do it with urine tests. Having something like a reliable field test (equivalent to a breathalyzer) seems a bit questionable (the saliva one). Some have argued that there is no need for this in auto operation because the effects are different than alcohol. IDK.

What I am sure of, is that I don't want any heavy equipment operators high on MJ - it's just not worth having any risk. That said, I'm sure there are operators out there who are high on any number of drugs including alcohol. Human beings being what they are...

Anyway, if it were legal in my state, I'd try it an edible to see if it can fix my insomnia (30 years worth). Trazodone kinda sucks.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
LabCorp (an I'm sure others) can do it with urine tests. Having something like a reliable field test (equivalent to a breathalyzer) seems a bit questionable (the saliva one). Some have argued that there is no need for this in auto operation because the effects are different than alcohol. IDK.

What I am sure of, is that I don't want any heavy equipment operators high on MJ - it's just not worth having any risk. That said, I'm sure there are operators out there who are high on any number of drugs including alcohol. Human beings being what they are...

Anyway, if it were legal in my state, I'd try it an edible to see if it can fix my insomnia (30 years worth). Trazodone kinda sucks.

I haven't heard of a urine test that confirms immediate intoxication. The problem with MJ is how long it stays in your system. A heavy equipment operator can ingest MJ on Friday night, and two weeks later still fail a test.

Alcohol is much different in more ways than one. This is just one.

Reactions: hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I haven't heard of a urine test that confirms immediate intoxication. The problem with MJ is how long it stays in your system. A heavy equipment operator can ingest MJ on Friday night, and two weeks later still fail a test.

Alcohol is much different in more ways than one. This is just one.
People have proposed putting video game like devices in cars to test your reaction time. The time has come. Tolerances vary way more than the "guidlines". Losing ones judgement is the worst affect of alcohol. As opposed to being more defensive and careful when under the influence of MJ. My opinion.