939 Opteron Reviews

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
Alright,
for some weeks there are huge forum threads around the web on these Opteron babies but still none of the big hardware sites seems to take them serious enough to write detailed reviews and benchmarks and comparisons to the existing A64´s.
So, are there any good reviews yet? I was searchin AT, xbit, extremetech and stuff but nothing. Feel free to post your sources. Guess alot of us less informed ppl would like to have a read on what is what and why Opterons are the latest hype.
thx.

- Venice 3000+ vs. Venus 144 @pccentre.pl
http://pccentre.pl/modules.php?op=modlo...&pagenum=3&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

- Single-CPU: Opteron 939 at 2.55 Ghz versus Venice at same speed with same RAM, timings and mainboard.
Dual-core/CPU: Dual socket 939 Opteron at 2.0 GHz versus a socket 939 X2 at same speed and simulating the Opteron's RAM timings.
cracauer-forums.cons.org

Furen

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2004
AMDzone has an Opteron 165 article here. It's not really a review, but rather an overclocking experiment.

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
These Opterons will all perform practically the same as any of it's regular A64 counter-part. The only difference u need to know about is that they cost cheaper, generally OC better, and are getting harder to find everyday.

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
so you say there is no need for reviews and articles? Iam just curious why all major hardware sites would neglect the Opteron vs A64 topic. Forums like this seem to be the only source for information up to now. Why is that? Did the Opteron hype come that unexpected? Looking at the CPU forum half of the threads are talking bout Opterons, but if you try to find official reviews at ur favorite hardware sites there arent any? So pls post them if u see them.
thx

darekdade

Sep 25, 2005
I am just curious. BlingBlingArsch how did u find this polish computer site? I am the hardware editor on PCCentre.pl :)

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
i saw the link on a german forum: counter-strike.de folks there have been discussing pro´s and cons of opterons if i remember correct.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: BlingBlingArsch
Sry, thats not what iam looking for. I want official reviews and benchmarks.

like this one from a polish site, maybe US sites will follow ;)

http://pccentre.pl/modules.php?op=modlo...&pagenum=3&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

There is no reason absolutely at all for most Opteron reviews since only 3 Opterons don't have A64 counterparts when it comes to Socket 939. Those are the 144, 165, 170, all others have been reviewed as A64s.

When working with 939 the opties and the A64 act and perform exactly the same, the only difference is the opties have been cheaper and because of the higher Stability requirements use the better processes and are tested harder which means higher potential overclock.

As for 940 Opties normal performance benmarks with games and normal apps are useless because they will always perform slower due to the use of registered memory. Server applications and 100% stability is all that really matters.

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
one of ur points raises a question. it sounds like a contradiction that Opterons are manufactured with higher effort but sell for less than A64. And it counts only for the single core models i think.

darekdade

Sep 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Topweasel

There is no reason absolutely at all for most Opteron reviews since only 3 Opterons don't have A64 counterparts when it comes to Socket 939. Those are the 144, 165, 170, all others have been reviewed as A64s.

When working with 939 the opties and the A64 act and perform exactly the same, the only difference is the opties have been cheaper and because of the higher Stability requirements use the better processes and are tested harder which means higher potential overclock.

As for 940 Opties normal performance benmarks with games and normal apps are useless because they will always perform slower due to the use of registered memory. Server applications and 100% stability is all that really matters.
Ok, than why Opteron is really faster in games? Opteron is based on the same core as Athlon 64 FX (you can read this in polish review @http://pccentre.pl ). If its available for the same price as Venice I have no idea why people are still wondering which CPU is better.

BTW
Difference between S939 and S940 is that this additional pin allows to build multi-CPU systems. ECC registering has nothing to do with socket, its all about architecture.