93 years old man got beat up by young robber, he didn't get mad

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
Something makes me think the old man was aiming for the head, and got a lucky miss.

Always aim center mass. There is a reason police and soldiers are taught this.

At any rate, good for him! Another valid example of why law abiding civilians MUST be allowed to keep and bear arms. And another example of a defensive gun use that did not end in death, so will not be used in the absurd "a gun is more likely to kill a family member than attacker" politically engineered statistic.

Could have been aiming for the chest as well, but yeah headshots are rare to get esp when target and shooter are moving and a handgun shooting free (not actively aimed) is used.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Hacp
Just wait until his grandson looks under the bed, finds the gun, and starts shooting people.

mmm ok. Perhaps when he has company he may lock it. I would only have a gun lock if I had kids. If someone steals my gun with a lock, chances are they can defeat it once off premises.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Just wait until his grandson looks under the bed, finds the gun, and starts shooting people.

Congrats on winning the Stupid Post of the Day award.

Yep, it is stupid when innocent people die because of misconcealed guns.

It's also stupid when people completely overstate a problem and blow it out of proportion. More kids die in swimming pools than from gun accidents. LOTS more. Should we outlaw them as well? More kids die riding bikes. Guess no kid should be allowed near a bike. Those deaths are just as senseless and preventable.

Yet here we have an instance of a person who was physically incapable of defending himself against a physically superior attacker. A gun saved his life and all you can do is harp on the same bogus negativity that the stats just don't bear out.

If you're that concerned about kids, there is a whole laundry list of things you have to eliminate that cause far more carnage to children before you get to guns.

Besides, what does your anti-gun mantra have to do with an old man who lives alone?

Safter swimming pools and safter bikes are needed then.

You didn't think that through very well did you?

Preventable deaths are just that, preventable. Thats why we have seatbelt laws.

And that's why we have the right to own a gun. See, the man prevented his own death.

Oh, and the seatbelt law came about because some nanny-do-gooder wanted to make a name for herself.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
seatbelt laws are craptastic at best. It's not the governments job to tell me what to do all the time. I wear my seat belt because it's the smart thing to do, not because it's the law.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Originally posted by: WingZero94
...but we don't need guns......

Who said that? Gun control != no guns :thumbsup: for him grabbing his legal gun ( I assume) and using it wisely.

It's Arkansas - the only two scenarios that come to mind where the gun wasn't legal is if he was a convicted felon and was illegally in posesssion, or if the gun was stolen. There are no registration/licensing requirements for owning a handgun in Arkansas as long as you are of legal age.

Edit: Oh, and good job. I may have to look him up and buy him a beer the next time I am in El Dorado. :)

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: JDMnAR1
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Originally posted by: WingZero94
...but we don't need guns......

Who said that? Gun control != no guns :thumbsup: for him grabbing his legal gun ( I assume) and using it wisely.

There are no registration/licensing requirements for owning a handgun in Arkansas as long as you are of legal age.

Same here in Oregon, which is the way it should be.:thumbsup:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: nweaver
seatbelt laws are craptastic at best. It's not the governments job to tell me what to do all the time. I wear my seat belt because it's the smart thing to do, not because it's the law.

Seatbelt laws were created not to save lives, but to save insurance money.

The lives part is added to add more human nature than economic.

Bicycles are one of the most dangerous items out there...not much you can do to improve that situation. The heyday of accidents were during the big wheeled bikes.

Anyway...most anti-gun people aren't so opposed if they were to have the gun in a situation. It's the fear they live with thinking everyone else may have one and use it against them.