911 call: Victim begs for help for 48 minutes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: tcsenter
That was hard enough to read, I cannot imagine being on the phone with a dying and desperate person for 45 minutes.
So I guess the phrase, "To Protect and Serve" has no real merit?
Sure it has merit, but they cannot be held responsible if they fail to protect you. Police services are primarily to capture law breakers, not serve as personal body guards.

They provide "general" protection to society as a whole, but to no person individually. All they have to show is that they made a good faith attempt, success is irrelevant.
When calling 911 are you calling the police? I always thought that it was a seperate entity. You call 911, tell them what your emergency is, and they contact the appropiate people...PD, FD, ambulance, etc.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
When calling 911 are you calling the police? I always thought that it was a seperate entity. You call 911, tell them what your emergency is, and they contact the appropiate people...PD, FD, ambulance, etc.
Seperate agency, but the same governmental unit, usually a county EMS.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Originally posted by: fatbaby
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n1
Originally posted by: FrontlineWarrior
Originally posted by: Cal166
911 service really sucks!!! when you call them they ask you whats the emergency and they tell you to hold for couple of mins to they can transfer you. what of BS is that?

once i dislocated my ankle and called 911, had to call them twice before some help came.

you called 911 for a dislocated ankle?

he probably couldn't stand up, let alone drag himself to the hospital
rolleye.gif

dislocated and sprained are 2 different things right?

If they're the same, be a man and live with the pain!

They are two different things. Neither one is an emergency. They have non emergency dispatchers for crap like this. Personally I would have just called a friend or family to take me to the hospital. It is not like I would die from this type of injury. Calls like this are why it is so hard to get through in larger cities. So many people tie up the line with non emergency crap.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Cal166
911 service really sucks!!! when you call them they ask you whats the emergency and they tell you to hold for couple of mins to they can transfer you. what of BS is that?

once i dislocated my ankle and called 911, had to call them twice before some help came.
pussy...

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Tominator
I vote against tax increases for 911 everytime!

I will remind you that according to the Supreme Court law enforcement has no duty at all to protect you from anything. If they do not respond for whatever the reason, tough sheet!

Have the courts also found that ambulace/EMS services have no duty to respond to calls for medical help?

Given the purpose of EMS is to... well, to respond to 911 calls for emergent medical help, I can't believe the same applies to EMS. During my EMT training oh so many years ago, the concepts of negligence and abandonment were discussed. I can see a strong case for abandonment if EMS accepts an incoming phone call for help but fails to provide assistance.