• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

90s Basketball Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
60,609
3,857
126
Originally posted by: BZeto
1993 Phoenix Suns. Even if they didnt take the championship. Charles Barkley, Danny Ainge, Dan Majerle (my favorite player of that era) and Kevin Johnson (KJ) were awesome to watch.
Thunder Dan!!!

Growing up actually in IL how could I *NOT* say Da BULLS! There just isn't that rivalry each year like there used to be. It was the Bulls vs. Knicks each year for the Eastern Conference champs...

MJ...Scotty, Grant & crew vs. Ewing, Starks, Oakley & crew. It was bitter rivalry at it's best.
 

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
3,775
0
71
I'm from Houston and the rest of my family is from Illinois, so I've been a big Bulls and Rockets fan. 90s basketball was the best sport watching ever. The only modern day event that comes close is the Boise State vs OU game. I don't really watch NBA anymore and the next best thing is watching NCAA, but the refs tend to blow everything.
 

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
5,858
0
0
KL was good. lots of very good guards (point and shooting) from that era. My team was the Warriors and Spreewell was a blast, too.

I cant figure why some people list Pippen. His game is... boring?
 

Diz2K2

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2002
1,276
0
0
www.mayworks.com
Originally posted by: BZeto
1993 Phoenix Suns. Even if they didnt take the championship. Charles Barkley, Danny Ainge, Dan Majerle (my favorite player of that era) and Kevin Johnson (KJ) were awesome to watch.
Same here. My favorite player is KJ. Too bad injuries denied him of a hall a fame career. One of the rare guys that could cross you over with either hand.


 

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
11,085
459
126
Originally posted by: ballmode
Not alot of Barkley and Reggie Miller love here
Reggie was a great shooter, but a shameless flopper on the court.
 

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
27,161
5
0
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: ballmode
Not alot of Barkley and Reggie Miller love here
Reggie was a great shooter, but a shameless flopper on the court.
Who remembers when he made a "game winning shot" in Chicago, only to have Kukoc make a LONG 3 when they imbounded the ball with like .2 on the clock?
 

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
1,158
0
71
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
booo....90s basketball blowed, unless you were a bulls fan.

1998-99 San Antonio Spurs 4-1 New York Knicks (Tim Duncan, San Antonio)
1997-98 Chicago Bulls 4-2 Utah Jazz (Michael Jordan, Chicago)
1996-97 Chicago Bulls 4-2 Utah Jazz (Michael Jordan, Chicago)
1995-96 Chicago Bulls 4-2 Seattle SuperSonics (Michael Jordan, Chicago)
1994-95 Houston Rockets 4-0 Orlando Magic (Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston)
1993-94 Houston Rockets 4-3 New York Knicks (Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston)
1992-93 Chicago Bulls 4-2 Phoenix Suns (Michael Jordan, Chicago)
1991-92 Chicago Bulls 4-2 Portland Trail Blazers (Michael Jordan, Chicago)
1990-91 Chicago Bulls 4-1 Los Angeles Lakers (Michael Jordan, Chicago)

All Chicago....barring Jordan's absence from the game (break for gamblin...*cough*, i mean baseball, 1st retirement) and his premature return in '94-95.

90s vs. 80s? No comparison, 80s hands down.
90s vs. now? Now. At least the West is competitive in the process of selecting who will trounce the East rep. in the Finals.

You do realize that only two teams in the west have won since 98-99, which were LA and SA. Not sure how competitive that is...
 

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
5,867
1
0
Originally posted by: nick1985
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: ballmode
Not alot of Barkley and Reggie Miller love here
Reggie was a great shooter, but a shameless flopper on the court.
Who remembers when he made a "game winning shot" in Chicago, only to have Kukoc make a LONG 3 when they imbounded the ball with like .2 on the clock?
That guy was so clutch it wasn't even funny. You could count on him and Steve Kerr in the closing seconds of the game to drill a 3.
 

Funyuns101

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2002
2,849
0
0
i also liked to watch the Miami Heat & NY Knicks rivalry - especially when PJ Brown threw Charlie Ward around... Van Gundy almost getting killed by 'Zo was pretty entertaining too.
 

TheFirm

Senior member
Sep 15, 2001
261
0
0
hmm my all time favorite player is Glen Rice, who could shoot 3's all day! and I love the kings Mitch "The Rock" Richmond!

sooo many great players but for me these 2 were awesome
 

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
3,342
0
0
Originally posted by: rpkelly
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
booo....90s basketball blowed, unless you were a bulls fan.

1998-99 San Antonio Spurs 4-1 New York Knicks (Tim Duncan, San Antonio)
1997-98 Chicago Bulls 4-2 Utah Jazz (Michael Jordan, Chicago)
1996-97 Chicago Bulls 4-2 Utah Jazz (Michael Jordan, Chicago)
1995-96 Chicago Bulls 4-2 Seattle SuperSonics (Michael Jordan, Chicago)
1994-95 Houston Rockets 4-0 Orlando Magic (Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston)
1993-94 Houston Rockets 4-3 New York Knicks (Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston)
1992-93 Chicago Bulls 4-2 Phoenix Suns (Michael Jordan, Chicago)
1991-92 Chicago Bulls 4-2 Portland Trail Blazers (Michael Jordan, Chicago)
1990-91 Chicago Bulls 4-1 Los Angeles Lakers (Michael Jordan, Chicago)

All Chicago....barring Jordan's absence from the game (break for gamblin...*cough*, i mean baseball, 1st retirement) and his premature return in '94-95.

90s vs. 80s? No comparison, 80s hands down.
90s vs. now? Now. At least the West is competitive in the process of selecting who will trounce the East rep. in the Finals.

You do realize that only two teams in the west have won since 98-99, which were LA and SA. Not sure how competitive that is...
My point was that it was competitive. Although only the Lakers and Spurs have won thus far, you also had the Mavs, Suns, and Kings battling it out to represent in the Finals. Also had the Clippers in '06 , Wolves in '04, and this year's Warriors making things interesting. In the 90s, Jordan's Bulls were pretty much a given.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY