9000 series video cards for laptops

justanothergamer

Apr 15, 2008
Hey everyone. I've been wondering if any of you have an idea when to expect the next generation of laptop video cards - the 9000 series.

I contacted Nvidia and even their PR people are mum. They have no comment regarding products that have not been officially released.

Anyway maybe one of you knows something or someone and can give me an idea. That will give me an idea when I'm going to be buying my next laptop!

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
I would guess they will be out in the back-to-school period (July-August) and be based on a 55nm process.

May 30, 2007
I apologize in advance :

The 9000 series has been available in laptops for a long time. Heck, my Dell Latitude has a 9000 in it :) I don't know why you'd contact Nvidia about it, ATI makes the 9000 :)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Dazed and Confused
I apologize in advance :

The 9000 series has been available in laptops for a long time. Heck, my Dell Latitude has a 9000 in it :) I don't know why you'd contact Nvidia about it, ATI makes the 9000 :)

Weak. :p

Notebook video chips are typically slow to market, and by the time they actually arrive on the market, strong rumors for their successors are spreading across the net.

With sales of notebooks increasing at a far greater rate than desktops, it would be a good idea to work on their mobile products with a little more urgency.

Syntax Error

Oct 29, 2007
Laptop cards have traditionally lagged behind their desktop counterparts by about a factor to half a year to eight months, so I wouldn't expect them until at least back to school time, as Shaq pointed out.

justanothergamer

Apr 15, 2008
I talked to a vendor who has the ASUS based notebooks and they sort of hinted around October as the date for the 9900 series Nvidia cards to show up in notebooks (with the actual release a few weeks to a month before that of course).

And he thought that it would be ASUS first that got the cards and that they would be the only ones who had it for the first month or two.

Maybe the other notebook makers will be able to swing a deal to get 9900 cards in time for Christmas? I would think that makes the most sense.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
The 9600 mobile cards are already out, not sure on the 9800's but it took awhile for the 8800(heck even the 8700m) to come out for laptops while the 8600's were around for awhile before hand.

justanothergamer

Apr 15, 2008
I dug up some more info about the release of 9900 series cards for laptops:

We know NVIDIA is working like hell to beat Intel in its own game, but it doesn't mean NVIDIA is taking its graphics department lightly. As per latest report, NVIDIA will launch GeForce 9900 GTX and GTS in July, instead of originally planned Q3 release, to keep AMD from gaining market share with its Radeon 4800 Series. The GeForce 9900 is NVIDIA's best card with about 1 billion transistors, and GDDR3 memory interface.

So it looks like this summer will see a bunch of new gaming rigs coming out. This should be good. And of course there will probably be some SLI rigs and whatnot.

ther00kie16

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2008
9500m is weak. anyone looking for dedicated graphics is most likely in it for media (then 8400 is enough) or games (then they are waiting for 9600/9800/9900). Typically, notebook products are a cycle behind (so look for the 9 series around start of school). However, since 9800gtx is same as 8800gts, who knows what they are going to have for g92 laptop counterparts.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: justanothergamer
I dug up some more info about the release of 9900 series cards for laptops:

We know NVIDIA is working like hell to beat Intel in its own game, but it doesn't mean NVIDIA is taking its graphics department lightly. As per latest report, NVIDIA will launch GeForce 9900 GTX and GTS in July, instead of originally planned Q3 release, to keep AMD from gaining market share with its Radeon 4800 Series. The GeForce 9900 is NVIDIA's best card with about 1 billion transistors, and GDDR3 memory interface.

So it looks like this summer will see a bunch of new gaming rigs coming out. This should be good. And of course there will probably be some SLI rigs and whatnot.

that's old news and says nothing at all about mobile graphics.

justanothergamer

Apr 15, 2008
Hmmm....unfortunately you're right. I haven't found any other statements that are more clear or read different. I've found that exact same brick of text used in 3 different articles.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm eager to know when the 9900 series of mobile cards come out.

Thanks for everyone's input btw.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
that would be AWESOME if they could get a 9600GTm in a macbook pro...cause the 8600GTm is lackluster imo.

bigepilot

May 4, 2008
9500M is nearly identical to the 8600m gt (most say roughly 10% faster) and runs Crysis without any hiccups. 1280x720 all high settings. Can't comment on higher resolutions but not to bad for a lappy that costs $1100. Also have run COD4, Unreal III, AOE III, and Command and Conquer 3 on all high settings.

justanothergamer

Apr 15, 2008
And here it is...

NVIDIA announces GeForce 9M, takes subtle jabs at Intel

NVIDIA is looking to up the ante in the realm of notebook GPUs with its new GeForce 9M series. NVIDIA is banking on both power and efficiency to win over OEMs and end-users with the new GPUs.

NVIDIA claims that the new GeForce 9M GPUs are up to 40% faster than the previous generation GeForce 8M parts and as much as ten times faster than a certain chip giant's "generic" integrated GPUs -- namely, Intel. All of the new GPUs incorporate PureVideo HD and support DVI, HDMI 1.3, DisplayPort 1.1, and Blu-ray Profile 2.0. All GeForce 9M GPUs comply with the MXM 3.0 graphics module specification.

On other feature to consider with the GeForce 9M is the inclusion of Hybrid SLI technology. This allows OEMs to incorporate a low-power GPU for everyday desktop duties and a higher-performing part for graphics-intensive duties -- NVIDIA SLI support may be added at a later date.

"Beginning this summer, GeForce 9M GPUs and Hybrid SLI, paired with AMD and Intel CPUs, will enable a new breed of notebooks," said Jeff Fisher, NVIDIA's GPU Senior VP. "These new notebooks will be optimized to deliver a visual experience and raw computing performance that traditional cookie-cutter notebooks with integrated graphics simply can?t touch."

In addition, this new GPU features a multi-core architecture which will not only speed up entertainment applications, but will also speed up today?s lifestyle applications, like video encoding from a PC to a small personal media device, where the speed up in the video conversion is up to 5x faster with the GeForce 9M family GPUs."

NVIDIA has broken the GeForce 9M into three categories: Value, Mainstream, and Performance. The Value sector will be solely represented by the GeForce 9100M G. The Mainstream sector will be propped up by the GeForce 9400M, GeForce 9300M GS, and GeForce 9200M GS. Finally, the Performance sector features the GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce 9600M GS, and GeForce 9500M G.

Unlike some of ATI's latest graphics offerings, the new GeForce 9M series will not support DirectX 10.1. NVIDIA says that consumers will base their buying decisions on price and performance and that support for a particular API is not of extreme importance.

For those looking to take advantage of PhysX -- a recent acquisition of NVIDIA's -- drivers are expected to be made available during Q3 2008.

NVIDIA definitely isn?t holding back with its ribbing of Intel with this latest GPU release. Intel has expressed its intentions to bulk up its integrated GPU offerings and expand into discrete graphics. NVIDIA is fighting back by littering subtle jabs in its press releases (?generic?, ?cookie cutter?, etc.) and with not so subtle comments from its CEO.

It should be interesting to see how things in the graphics market pan out as Intel and NVIDIA continue to cross paths within the next 18 months.

About what and where we expected. I admit being surprised about no dx10 support but maybe more will come out regarding that. But the performance flavor should be the cutting edge for notebooks until summer of 09 or possibly longer depending on the cycle for the next gen of cards after this. Okay now lets see what Sager can build for me!

justanothergamer

Apr 15, 2008
Well it looks like the next set of laptops will be out soon sporting these new video cards.

SAGER will be updating their website July 15th. It's marked on the calendar!

:)

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I'm wondering too as to when it will become widely available. I have heard of problems with the 8M and I would like a dell laptop that is small but has a 9M instead of the 8M for the performance, battery and stability. Anyone know of any other companies that will soon release laptops with the 9M series in it?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: justanothergamer
Well it looks like the next set of laptops will be out soon sporting these new video cards.

SAGER will be updating their website July 15th. It's marked on the calendar!

:)

See my thread in SFF/Notebooks for some details. I've linked to some threads at some places which detail the spec's for the upcoming notebooks, which seem to include 9800GTXs and HD 3870s.

justanothergamer

Apr 15, 2008
Okay Sager has the np9262 which lets you select a 9800M GTX as the highest video card.

So I guess that's it then. The best laptop card available until 09 sometime or if someone drops an SLI version on the market.

What's nice about this machine though is that it has 3 hard drive bays so you can get a raid array.

I hope to see some test specs of the 9800m gtx soon. Anand?