9/7/2003 Bush speech discussion thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
People, if you're going to download, upload as well. This isn't the latest warez release on a major torrent site with a million seeds. Everyone has to upload or it doesn't work.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
If he says the words, "They hate freedom" one more time, I swear I'll blast some new holes in the TV. ;)

Good - then you can help the economy out by going out and buying a new AMERICAN made TV ;)

:D

CkG

One problem, there are NO TV's made in the USA any more.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Electrode - I dunno if you've used bittorrent or not but if you don't upload or limit it it wll affect your download...Even if you use a mofiied version of the client it works that way.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
If he says the words, "They hate freedom" one more time, I swear I'll blast some new holes in the TV. ;)

Good - then you can help the economy out by going out and buying a new AMERICAN made TV ;)

:D

CkG

One problem, there are NO TV's made in the USA any more.

Good to see you are following the thread BOBDN.

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
My take on Bush's speech?

I just wasted 15 minutes watching Bush tell America what we already knew:

Iraq is going to cost us hundreds of billions of dollars ($70bn + $4bn/mo + another $87bn he's asking Congress for now), we are going to have 130,000 + troops there for the forseeable future and we need the UN and our allies who told us not to invade Iraq in the first place to bail us out. NO evidence of terrorist ties in pre-invasion Iraq, just another specious statement placing Iraq and terror in the same sentence again. But an admission that the US invasion has made Iraq a nexus of terror. No mention of the WMD no one has found. This was basically just a plea for help from a Bush who now realizes how badly he and his administration have screwed this up. And NO mention of Osama bin Laden, dead or alive.

At least he didn't repeat "Bring it on."

What was the point of this excercise? Bush's advisors hoping he'll get a bump in the polls from appearing on TV? An attempt to buy more time?

Bush had nothing new to say. He could have told the millions of Americans who are out of work how spending hundreds of billions in Iraq will help them. Or how using all our resources in Iraq would make us more secure at home. Or why, out of all the excuses his administration's used to invade Iraq not one has been proven.

Instead we got a replay of Bush administration propaganda for which his administration is unable to provide ANY proof.

Just more Bush sloganeering.

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
magomago: I'm quite familiar with bittorrent. Despite the fact that leeching results in a slower download, there are still a very large number of people who do it anyway.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think that President Bush needs to start scheduling his $100,000 a pop speeches around the country once Jan. 20th, 2005 comes around :D

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: NFS4
I think that President Bush needs to start scheduling his $100,000 a pop speeches around the country once Jan. 20th, 2005 comes around :D

Can a President charge money for a speech while a President? Well, there are the fundraiser dinner speeches but those will be for the RNC.;)

I thought the speech was alright. It is just a reaffirmation of what has been stated in the Admin's numerous press statements and talkshow appearances. I thought it was interesting that Biden thought it was definitely a good speech.

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I have to agree with Bob. I don't understand what the purpose of this speech was. Supposedly, it was to keep us informed of America's actions in the war on terror. But what information did we get. Some captain wrote him a letter...what else did we learn?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

Iraq is going to cost us hundreds of billions of dollars ($70bn + $4bn/mo + another $87bn he's asking Congress for now), we are going to have 130,000 + troops there for the forseeable future and we need the UN and our allies who told us not to invade Iraq in the first place to bail us out. NO evidence of terrorist ties in pre-invasion Iraq, just another specious statement placing Iraq and terror in the same sentence again. But an admission that the US invasion has made Iraq a nexus of terror. No mention of the WMD no one has found. This was basically just a plea for help from a Bush who now realizes how badly he and his administration have screwed this up. And NO mention of Osama bin Laden, dead or alive.

What was the point of this excercise? Bush's advisors hoping he'll get a bump in the polls from appearing on TV? An attempt to buy more time?

Bush had nothing new to say. He could have told the millions of Americans who are out of work how spending hundreds of billions in Iraq will help them. Or how using all our resources in Iraq would make us more secure at home. Or why, out of all the excuses his administration's used to invade Iraq not one has been proven.

Instead we got a replay of Bush administration propaganda for which his administration is unable to provide ANY proof.

Things that aren't "new" to you. We abosultely NEED the UN BOBDN? We haven't been pushed out or left, it believe we could win without the support of anymore troops it would just make it more difficult. Terrorism Ties? What about Anr-Islam(sp?) and the money donated to families of Palensteinian suicide bombers? The only thing that is stupid is that he wouldn't remotely talk about WMDs.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Ok, now....we are going to spend hundreds of billion dollar on Iraq because of 911....wait....how many of those hijackers came from Iraq?

If I am not mistaken, aren't those people came from Saudi Arabia? why don't we make SA democratic and people of SA rich and happy so they don't attack us? The last time I check, SA royal family was one of the most brutal and inhuman government in the world. Wait, could it be SA is the country his daddy and his close friends make billions from?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Can a President charge money for a speech while a President? Well, there are the fundraiser dinner speeches but those will be for the RNC.;)

I thought the speech was alright. It is just a reaffirmation of what has been stated in the Admin's numerous press statements and talkshow appearances. I thought it was interesting that Biden thought it was definitely a good speech.

CkG

OK, you're a bit slow on the uptake on that one;)

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
he spoke? Was anyone listening? I caught his spin doctors earlier today on CNN, Condie rice and Powell. Those two could do so much better than tying themselves to Bush

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I thought it was interesting that Biden thought it was definitely a good speech.
Lol, of course he thought it was a good speech. It confirmed that BushCo was wrong and that he had been right from the beginning on several issues. Why wouldn't he like it?

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
So he's looking for $87 billion more now? Looks like the expected $60 billion figure was a bit low...

Pffft...what's a few billion when you are making peace!

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Tabb

Things that aren't "new" to you. We abosultely NEED the UN BOBDN? We haven't been pushed out or left, it believe we could win without the support of anymore troops it would just make it more difficult. Terrorism Ties? What about Anr-Islam(sp?) and the money donated to families of Palensteinian suicide bombers? The only thing that is stupid is that he wouldn't remotely talk about WMDs.

Yes, Tabb, we absolutely need the UN. Our troops in Iraq are supposed to cycle out next April. There is no one to replace them unless the UN and NATO allies help. We may be able to afford to pay for this entire episode ourselves but will wind up needing foreign aid ourselves by the time it's over.

As far as terrorist ties the use of this charge was the Bush administration's attempt to connect Iraq with Al Qaeda with 9/11 as another excuse to invade. Those ties have never been proven. There was reportedly one base found in the Kurdish north connected with Ansar al Islam. The invasion did bring the Bush administration's charges to fruition. There are plenty of terrorists in Iraq now. As for the money paid to Palestinian suicide bombers I keep hearing that charge but I've never seen proof. Even if true the Saudis have been proven to have done the same. When do we invade Saudi Arabia?

This invasion began as a response to an imminent threat. It is not.

Then it became a war to bring freedom to the Iraqi people. It has not.

It has now become a war against the terrorists the very US invasion the Bush administration insisted on brought to Iraq.

All the while the nation of Iraq is suffering as is our nation. We are asked to sacrifice for reasons which change as needed just as the reasons the Bush administration gave for their invasion kept changing as needed.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Insane3D
So he's looking for $87 billion more now? Looks like the expected $60 billion figure was a bit low...

Pffft...what's a few billion when you are making peace!

grab an empty oil barrel. it's self serve

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Why the hell did we even attack Iraq. I say we should of attacked SA. Iraq was already destroyed because of the sanctions and the Gulf War. If we care so much about the people of Iraq I say we send our troops to the Congo where millions have died.

You want to stop these Islamic extremist? I don't see Turkey having any extremist living there do YOU? Why? They have freedom. Go after these horrible countries like SA. The people of SA are living in hell and they are being raised to hate the WEST. Well the men are living like gods while the women are forced to cover everything and have no freedom at all!!! I am not talking about a scarf over the head. I dont care if a women wears a scarf over her head .. but WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT facial covering. It is not even mentioned in the Quran. Stupid king needs to be thrown out. There are other civilized arab countries.. UAE and Kuwait are good examples. There are no extremist coming from those countries. Please go after that stupid oil rich country... as far as iran goes .. Iran has their own problems.. their problems are the Arabs/Israel and the 80%+ who want reform will eventually kick the crazy wackos who run that country to their death stones and you will see a pro-U.S country very soon. Remember before crazy khormani took over Iran and Israel were the best of buddies and they also loved the U.S. However, Shah took all the people's money and the people wanted change and what a better way to get change than to base it on islamic laws that were not even existant when Shah was in power.

That 87 billion dollars could of been used to create more jobs/education .. etc. What a total waste. I sure as hell am not voting for Bush next time around. I would of just destroyed (bombed) everything Saddam and his government owned and made $1,000,000,000,000,000 in Iraqi curreny and dropped it all over the country so the country would collapse and they would eventually rule someone else in power. You could of easily hurt Saddam instead of sending in troops and having them die for a war that IMO was not worth it.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

OK, you're a bit slow on the uptake on that one;)

No - just being realistic ;)

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Just a thought for everyone.

On May 1st Bush landed on the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln and made a speech in front of a giant banner which read,

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"

Tonight, four months later, he made a speech that made it perfectly clear the mission has only just begun.

This is a further example of the dishonesty of the Bush administration and use of propaganda to further their misguided agenda.

We were led to pre-emptively invade Iraq based on false claims, told of a victory which didn't exist and now are left with no option but to finish a job which, based on the Bush administration's statements in the months leading up to the invasion, we should never have started.

American lives and hundreds of billions of American dollars are the price we are now forced to pay for the Bush administration's lies. We are left with no other option. No way out. Because all the while we were being fed a list of false reasons the Bush administration didn't even bother to plan for the aftermath of their invasion.

We are screwed.

And this may only be the beginning. Just like the bombs at the UN HQ in Baghdad and the Shia shrine in Najaf the middle east could easily explode in our faces because of the Bush administration's irresponsible, dishonest rush to war in Iraq.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

On May 1st Bush landed on the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln and made a speech in front of a giant banner which read,

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"

Tonight, four months later, he made a speech that made it perfectly clear the mission has only just begun.

This is a further example of the dishonesty of the Bush administration and use of propaganda to further their misguided agenda.

We were led to pre-emptively invade Iraq based on false claims, told of a victory which didn't exist and now are left with no option but to finish a job which, based on the Bush administration's statements in the months leading up to the invasion, we should never have started.

American lives and hundreds of billions of American dollars are the price we are now forced to pay for the Bush administration's lies. We are left with no other option. No way out. Because all the while we were being fed a list of false reasons the Bush administration didn't even bother to plan for the aftermath of their invasion.

We are screwed.

And this may only be the beginning. Just like the bombs at the UN HQ in Baghdad and the Shia shrine in Najaf the middle east could easily explode in our faces because of the Bush administration's irresponsible, dishonest rush to war in Iraq.

Are you a member of A.N.S.W.E.R.? Because you sure do spout alot of their rhetoric.

CkG

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Bush looked exactly like he did back pre-war iraq: like he was saying things that even HE didn't believe.

What a joke. And a waste of our $87 billion.

I can't believe that he's still bringing up 9/11. It's still proven that Iraq did not contribute to 9/11.

Total propoganda ploy we're being taken for. He should be impeached just for the shear amount of S##T he spews.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"

We are screwed.

Are you a member of A.N.S.W.E.R.? Because you sure do spout alot of their rhetoric.

CkG

I've never heard of A.N.S.W.E.R. I think for myself. But thanks for the link.

Have you ever considered Americans are coming to the SAME conclusions about Bush INDEPENDENTLY BASED ON THE FACTS?