8TB WD easystore - $149.99

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Technocrat

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2000
www.mmsean.com
Yeah I'm guessing it's a white which I'd prefer a Red. I may just wait and buy another red when on sale. I don't know of many people who got Red with the NEBB and with the SN of 7SGY.

lingyi

Mar 8, 2002
$139.99 right now (12:01am CST) - Best Buy Doorbuster for 12/7/17

Edit: Limit is two (2) per customer.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Just bought one! Not a bad deal. They're the NESN models too, which is almost definitely a Red-label drive.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Sweet that it came back! Got one now for my movie rips! Thanks guys!

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
This is starting to feel too good to be true. I mean, I bought all I could afford at the unbelievable price of $179 a few months ago. Then they went down to an unheard of $159 a few weeks ago, I couldn't pass that up so I bought two more.

Now they're $139?!?! Now I'm starting to worry. There's gotta be a catch here, right? Something the matter with these things that their practically giving them away? Maybe they didn't sell as they hoped so they just repackaged them into an external home backup solution? If that's the case, take advantage while we can, but I'm curious of the story behind these.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
This is starting to feel too good to be true. I mean, I bought all I could afford at the unbelievable price of $179 a few months ago. Then they went down to an unheard of $159 a few weeks ago, I couldn't pass that up so I bought two more.

Now they're $139?!?! Now I'm starting to worry. There's gotta be a catch here, right? Something the matter with these things that their practically giving them away? Maybe they didn't sell as they hoped so they just repackaged them into an external home backup solution? If that's the case, take advantage while we can, but I'm curious of the story behind these.

Supply and demand? I doubt nearly as many people were buying these at >$200 vs. everybody going insane at $140.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

It's today's doorbuster in the "20 days of doorbusters" sale thing. They had it for $10 cheaper on Black Friday.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
dangit when did it get to be after midnight? should have done this first, the amazon boardgame sale is on until 2 am

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

These are pretty slow drives and some have failed. They are really only good in a RAID array. It is pretty cheap storage though for 8TB....so there is that.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Went in yesterday to do 2 more (as separate) for pick up orders. to also trigger the $10 off coupons for later. Store I went to had created a separate online order storage area on the floor and I could see at least a dozen others waiting to be picked up. One of the guys in front of me in line has 2 orders of 2. Picked up my 2 and also did price adjust on the last 2 I bought. Makes 8 total now ~160 each. First 4 already in my WD 4 bay. About to start running test on the next 4. Have the same details as mentioned in this https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=109123099&postcount=431 on the 4 unopened so expect them to also all be reds.

lingyi

Mar 8, 2002
These drives are still $149.99 at Best Buy. To sweeten the deal, BB is is offering an additional $15 GC (Edit:Not a GC, Savings Code sent $1/21/18) when you buy a $150 GC. Offer is valid until Christmas Day.. Net $135+tax on the $150 sale price.

There's a limit of three GCs per customer.

Last edited:

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
So my luck finally ran out. I bought 2 last Saturday and 1 was a red, the other was a plain white label model WD80EMAZ. When you shuck these and put them in a workstation they do not spin up. I ended up after researching a bit and found out that using a molex to SATA power adapter gets around this. Evidently a standard SATA power connector from the PS supplies voltages on a couple of pins that are not supplied when using the adapters.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
So my luck finally ran out. I bought 2 last Saturday and 1 was a red, the other was a plain white label model WD80EMAZ. When you shuck these and put them in a workstation they do not spin up. I ended up after researching a bit and found out that using a molex to SATA power adapter gets around this. Evidently a standard SATA power connector from the PS supplies voltages on a couple of pins that are not supplied when using the adapters.
Need to know: Did the package say "Product of Thailand?"

I've seen one drive that was "Product of China." I did not open that one, I just exchanged it for another Thailand drive. Also, that was back in July or August.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
When you shuck these and put them in a workstation they do not spin up. I ended up after researching a bit and found out that using a molex to SATA power adapter gets around this.
Would it have been SO hard to put a jumper on the drive to control that behavior? Jumpers aren't evil.

Edit: Especially for things like power-up strap options. Those should normally always be jumper settings, rather than some sort of soft-config.

Last edited:

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Need to know: Did the package say "Product of Thailand?"

I've seen one drive that was "Product of China." I did not open that one, I just exchanged it for another Thailand drive. Also, that was back in July or August.
Yes they were both Thailand. Absolutely no difference in any of the numbers on the label on the box and I even checked them against the 4 that had reds in them I bought back during the summer sale and the numbers are identical on them as well, all made in Thailand.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Yes they were both Thailand. Absolutely no difference in any of the numbers on the label on the box and I even checked them against the 4 that had reds in them I bought back during the summer sale and the numbers are identical on them as well, all made in Thailand.
OK. One of my drives had a while label inside too. I'll check to see if I can spot a trend based on serial numbers or something.