8mm video camera to PC video capture question

Discussion in 'Digital and Video Cameras' started by BlindBartimaeus, Jul 6, 2008.

1. BlindBartimaeus

BlindBartimaeus Golden Member

I have a 8mm video camera and I want to take the video on there and get it to my PC and capture the video so I can get some program to make it into DVD's possibly edit them etc. for my son.

Any help in this regard would be great.

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - video camera video Forum Date
    Best camera shooting mode for travel video Digital and Video Cameras Jun 21, 2017
    free software to remove camera shake from video? Digital and Video Cameras Apr 5, 2017
    budget video camera Digital and Video Cameras Nov 13, 2016
    Live view HD video for exhibition Digital and Video Cameras Aug 9, 2016
    Good camera for amateur video making? Digital and Video Cameras Apr 29, 2016

3. Kaido

Kaido Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord

What kind of video outputs does the 8mm have?

4. BlindBartimaeus

BlindBartimaeus Golden Member

Svideo and composite

5. John P

John P Platinum Member

Do you have a newer camcorder that might have a passthrough connection to your computer via firewire? If yes, then play the 8mm tapes with the old camcorder through the new one and capture with WinDV or whatever software came with the new camcorder.

If not you'll need a video capture card with S-Video or composite video inputs.

6. Kaido

Yup, you need a video capture card, also known as a TV Tuner. They are available as PCI cards or USB devices. Hauppauge makes some excellent-quality models.

7. gsellis

gsellis Diamond Member

Pinnacle also has packages with Studio that include the capture hardware. There are USB and PCI card options. I do not remember if Sony has one for Vegas.

8. Kaido

Barf, Pinnacle. I used them a few years ago and they were absolutely terrible. And they were terrible a few years before that when I used them. Barf barf barf. I don't know if they're any better now, but I'd even recommend Windows Movie Maker over Pinnacle. Go with Vegas if you can!

9. gsellis

gsellis Diamond Member

Whatever. Works for me and I have even used it on my lappie in a bus doing immediate captures and conversions to DVD. I have used Liquid for years now too.