8gb ipod nano vs 30gb video?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I ride a motorcycle about 80% of the time, and when I do I listen to music through a zen. I have an issue of pocket space though - I have a huge pda cellphone (that I hate.. grr.. xv6700), money clip (downsized from a wallet), bike alarm thing, mp3 player, work keys.

My current mp3 player is crapping out - I've resoldered the heaphone jack but it's just a matter of time. A girl I'm dating wants to get me an ipod, and told me to pick between the 8gb nano and 30gb video. They are about the same thickness aren't they? Is there any benefit to the video other than the extra 22gb and the fact that it plays video?

VTHodge

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
The nano has solid state memory and the video has a hard drive. The nano is much thinner. You can get actual dimensions on the apple website. I think the nano is better for your needs.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
The nano is really small, I keep mine in my pocket when I workout and hardly know its there. The video is about the size of a credit card, if you're not going to use the video or all that extra storage I would so just go for the nano. depends on what you plan to do with it, sounds to me like you want ultra portable, the nano is exactly that.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
both are sufficiently small. But to me, it comes down to $249 for 8 gigs, or $249 for 30 gigs.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
hmm.. I have a 5gb zen right now, and am really out of space. I have about 5-6gb of music, so I guess the 8gb will work fine.. thanks!

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Aharami
both are sufficiently small. But to me, it comes down to $249 for 8 gigs, or $249 for 30 gigs.

Good point here, but it also matters what the OP will be using it for. Sure you seem to get more for your money with the video, but after a while the novelty of my video seemed to wear off, I wasn't using it for what it should be used for.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: S Freud

Good point here, but it also matters what the OP will be using it for. Sure you seem to get more for your money with the video, but after a while the novelty of my video seemed to wear off, I wasn't using it for what it should be used for.

Also consider this, it has to share a pocket with my bike alarm. The bike alarm remote is fairly small, about 1.5inchx.75inchx.5inch... it could be the size of the video and not hurt anything. I also technically could mount the ipod on the bike somewhere (I don't really want to do that though)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
would it be safe to run with the video? Id think the nano would be safer for working out since it has solid state storage - ie no moving parts. But would the video go bad if running with it?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
for what it's worth, I've used my zen (hdd based) for about 2 years on the motorcycle.. it's gotten tons of use without any hdd or skipping problems whatsoever. My only complaint is that the headphone jack sucks.. It stopped working last week - upon taking it apart I discovered it's a surface mount jack.. with no glue or anything.. just surface mount soldered. I'm suprised it held up for this long. I had our lead production tech resolder it for me and he also glued it.. He said it won't come apart again but bleh..

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: VTHodge
The nano has solid state memory and the video has a hard drive. The nano is much thinner. You can get actual dimensions on the apple website. I think the nano is better for your needs.

QFT

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
hmm... so other than the physical size, hdd/memory amount, and that the video plays video, there are no other differences?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
If anyone wants a new 4gb Nano for $179 + shipping, or an 8gb Nano for $229 w/ free shipping from an authorized reseller.... LMK

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
You want the nano, it's awesome small. You won't regret it. And unless you are driving your bike around the country, you should be all set with 8GB.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
the Nano. it tiny.
the size is:
Height: 3.5 inches
Width: 1.6 inches
Depth: 0.26 inch
Weight: 1.41 ounces
it also has flash memory which is much more durable. and really, are you going to watch video while riding your motorcycle? (it's a rhetoric question!)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
for you, the nano might be better since the storage will be more durable. i'm facing the same decision between the two for my gf's xmas gift. The other day while on the train to NYC, the lady sitting across from me was watching a Grey's Anatomy episode on her ipod video. My gf takes the bus to the city and I think the video will suit her better than the nano...

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Watching video on a 2.5" screen confuses me. If you wanna watch video on the go, why don't you just get a notebook? If you're gonna listening to music, just get something small like the Nano, 'cause the video iPod is quite big.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Neither. "Headphones" are against the law in GA ;)

I am in the 8GB camp as solidstate is better in the environment. May have longer battery life too without looking it up.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
for you, the nano might be better since the storage will be more durable. i'm facing the same decision between the two for my gf's xmas gift. The other day while on the train to NYC, the lady sitting across from me was watching a Grey's Anatomy episode on her ipod video. My gf takes the bus to the city and I think the video will suit her better than the nano...

Well.. I have a zen right now, it's hdd based and I've never had any issues with it (other than headphone jack..)

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: MrBond
Zixxer, I know this is a derail, but what headphones do you use on your bike? I've heard good things about these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/00...ds=sony+headphones&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

I think I'll be going that route for myself.

I have the sony mdr-ex51.. They fit great, sound great, and still let enough sound in to where I can hear ambulance/police sirens. My biggest gripe is that the cord absolutely falls apart, especially when it starts getting cold. They last about 6-7 months. I bought them at best buy, and take them back and get them replaced under the manufacturer's warranty (I am friends with some of the people that work there).. but I honestly don't recommend them. I use to have a set of earbuds that were made specifically for my ears and are designed for motorcyclists, but they blocked too much external sound.

Basically, I use the ex51's but don't recommend them unless you're willing to buy a new pair every ~6 months.. Also note that I am very very careful with them.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
I'd go with the Nano just because one bad bump can really screw up an HDD player. Stay far far away from Sony headphones; I had MDR-EX51LPs, and they fell apart too much. Bought Shure E2Cs, loved them, now I'm buying E4Cs.