8800gtx sli, can my system handle it or do i need new rig?

touser

Jun 15, 2002
Hello everyone, my current system consists of a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR, and a 4400+ X2 with 2gb ram. Will this combo with the addition of a psu upgrade be able to handle 8800gtx sli or do i have to take the plunge and build a whole new rig? Also, they will be pushing a 30" apple cinema display at 2560x1600 so i was hoping that would help push the load back onto the gpu's and away from the cpu. Also keep in mind that i plan on oc'ing the cpu as much as possible with air. Thanks for any help!

BadB55

Mar 23, 2007
I think your system can handle it and perform quite nicely. I recently debated doing the same thing. But my processor is older than yours. I am running an 18-month old Athlon FX-57 with a 650 watt psu. I opted for a single 8800 GTX (moved from 2 7800 GTX in SLI). I have seen huge performance gains. Not so much in benchmarks. But the real world game performance is beyond my expectations.

You will need a kilowatt psu with 12 volt rails though. That runs about $350.

The only thing that you need to consider is the cost of such an upgrade. The cards will run you $1,300 and the psu $350. That is $1,500 - $1,700 for a new video system. Adding the SLI won't give you that much real world gaming performance. It will send your benchmarks (3D Mark etc.) through the roof. But current games don't really exploit SLI resources effectively.

I suggest getting one 8800 GTX and trying it out. If you are not satisfied with the performance gain you get, then add the SLI configuration. Then, if you decide to build an entirely new rig, you can use the new video system and psu and nothing is wasted.

I suspect that if you get a single 8800 GTX, the performance gains will be enough to last you a few months - or maybe even a year.

Just my take. Good luck.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
You guys are nuts.

At 2560x1600 anything less than 8800GTX SLi will be a waste of that big beautiful monitor.

OP-

At that res, you'll be GPU limited and not CPU limited. Also, I dont think you need a kilowatt PSU. Look for a quality 750-850w and you'll be good to go.

touser

Jun 15, 2002
Thank you all for the help i really appreciate it! The main reason for the upgrade is i recently got into Vanguard: saga of heroes and it is an absolute resource hog, and my fear is that 1 8800gtx alone still won't be enough to run it at native res, even at medium graphical settings. As it is now, at native res with most settings set to high/medium, no AA, i get 1 FPS. It sure is a pretty slide show though. I have some more research to do :)

ALV7

Mar 31, 2007
Hello everyone, this thread really got me interested about the 8800GTX SLI idea. well first of all Im planning on goin Quad SLI with these 2 babies as im in the process of searching for a website that would be selling SLI bridges for my motherboard.

my question is would my rig fit the bill for SLI??? and how about for Quad SLI? (thats if i could get my hands on an extra SLI bridge that is hehehehe)
any tips or suggestions would be very HELPFUL ^_^

my rig is as follows below:

Processor: Core 2 duo e6600 2.4Ghz (should be arriving soon) planning on over-clocking this baby ^_+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-N680SLI
Memory: (deciding on this, didn't order them yet) OCZ 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500 NVIDIA SLI ready
Hard-drive: (ordering it next week) WD Raptor 150GB 10,000RPM
Video card: *what i have ryt now* 2x 7600GTs in SLI* but will replace them with 2x BFG 8800GTS OC 640MB (ordering them sometime this month)
Sound card: just on-board (but any suggestions would be nice hehehehe)
Power Supply: Thermal Take Toughpower 850watt SLI ready
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700 ( found a way to clamp it onto the board )
Casing: Thermal Take ARMOR VA8003SWA Full tower
OS: Windows XP SP2 (but thinking of just buying Vista Ultimate)

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
ALV7, you left out the most important piece of information-- your monitor. At the moment, a single GTX is so powerful that it can run just about anything at pretty high resolutions. Touser's 30" display is large enough to warrant GTX SLI for a few games, so it could easily be justified for him. Unless you're in the same situation, I don't recommend it yet. Nor do I recommend GTS SLI either, and definitely not quad-SLI at the moment. Just get a single GTX and, later, if you need it, another for SLI... or simply upgrade to whatever single card solution is the best performing for what you need.

In the past, there was a time when grabbing 2 7900GTs for SLI was both more cost-effective and more powerful than purchasing the top-end single card. As prices fluctuated and inventory for top-end cards increased, that cost/performance ratio dwindled, making it less viable.

Again, it really depends on your display.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
You should probably be fine with one GTX or maybe even a GTS depending on games and settings, etc. You're better off saving the $500 and buying a new card in 18 months.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
One GTX is enough at that resolution for what games are currently out. Buy one now and another when the price drops and a game comes out that makes use of it (Crysis probably).

ALV7

Mar 31, 2007
wow tnx for all the tips guys it is really helpful to know that there are people out there who really know there stuff ^_^ i think ill stick to one GTS ummmm maybe 2 GTSs at that heheheheh, but then again i really only need one for now

ALV7

Mar 31, 2007
oh btw since where talking about the 8800s which brand is favored best? (based on performance, durability,price, and overall appeal) BFG? XFX? EVGA? PNY? GIGABYTE? ASUS?

ALV7

Mar 31, 2007
could the 8800s be used with windows XP? (m not so fond of Vista yet, due to all the issues it has with software and hardware)

ALV7

Mar 31, 2007
would a 8800GTX work well with a 64bit version of Windows XP?????????????????????