8800GTX in Vista and NFS Carbon

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Specs are in my sig. A lot of the time I'm pegged at 60 FPS, but during races it goes under 10 a lot, sometimes to the point where the game is unplayable.

I have everything on high, 1650x1080 is my resolution. Is this a Vista problem?

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: almach1
turn off Vsync. that's why i keep XP around in a dual boot.

Vsync shouldn't have anything to do with minimum frames. Thanks though.

Srfrbum

Banned
May 19, 2005
Same things happens to me with my 2 8800GTS's. I get 30 - 50 FPS the whole time............. Weird.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
doesnt nvidia have some notoriously bad vista drivers right now? that would be my guess.

almach1

Sep 3, 2005
lower than expected frame rates is one thing, but if you notice that they don't go over a nice round number like 60, it's probably v-sync. It caps your FPS based on your monitor refresh rate. If you're running an LCD it's probably 60hz so that's what your max FPS is going to be.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: allies
Specs are in my sig. A lot of the time I'm pegged at 60 FPS, but during races it goes under 10 a lot, sometimes to the point where the game is unplayable.

I have everything on high, 1650x1080 is my resolution. Is this a Vista problem?
Using a 7900 GTO and Vista, I've never seen my framerates dip under 10 like that. It must be a driver bug for the combination of G80 and Vista. Try the new 101.41 and 101.70 drivers if you can, or turn down some of the options in the game to see if one particular option is crippling the card.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Vsync shouldn't have anything to do with minimum frames
Sure it does.

Really? Howso? Please enlighten me.

Also, the point of my post was not complaining about my MAX fps, it was about my MIN fps almach1.

Edit: This happens with both 100.65 and 101.70 (I'm using these now).

Edit 2: I've played at different settings too, and with stuff on low/medium and motion blur off it "only" dips into the teens. Still ridiculous

almach1

Sep 3, 2005
the thread tittle was "horrible perofrmance"

i thought pegging at 60fps was part of it. going into the teens is also terrible. I just wasn't reading the details right.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
hehe... 60fps != horrible performance in my book. Sorry if I led you astray.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: allies
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Vsync shouldn't have anything to do with minimum frames
Sure it does.

Really? Howso? Please enlighten me.

Also, the point of my post was not complaining about my MAX fps, it was about my MIN fps almach1.

Edit: This happens with both 100.65 and 101.70 (I'm using these now).

Edit 2: I've played at different settings too, and with stuff on low/medium and motion blur off it "only" dips into the teens. Still ridiculous
The quickie description:

* A video card has 2 image buffers, the front buffer and the back buffer.
* Whatever's currently being displayed is from the front buffer, which leaves the back buffer free to be manipulated and drawn to while something else is showing.
* When we're ready to show the next frame, the buffers are flipped so the fresh back becomes the front and the old front is now the back.
* When V-sync is on, this flip is done on every screen refresh, commonly 60hz(60 times per second) on a LCD
* The problem is that by only being able to flip buffers on every screen refresh, the flips may not occur when the back buffer is finished being drawn to
* When the back buffer is ready and waiting to flip, the video card must stop rendering until the flip because it has nothing to draw to
* As a result, this impacts both minimum and maximum frame rates.
* For minimum frame rates, say a frame takes slightly longer than 1/60th of a second to render, we then must wait for the next flip before we can continue rendering. This impacts the minimum frame rate as opposed to when y-sync is off because we've wasted that rendering time.
* Just as an example of a worst-case scenario, I'm going to show you some math with a 50hz refresh rate(since the numbers don't get so funky):

At 50hz, the screen refreshes every 20ms.
Now let's say we need 21ms to render each frame.
After 21ms, we're done, but we missed the screen refresh. We must wait until 40ms to actually show the image.
At 40ms, we show the image and start the next frame.
At 61ms, we're done with the next frame, but again missed the screen refresh, we must wait until 80ms to show it.
Etc, etc.

As it turns out, in that worst case scenario we only render 25 frames in 1 second because we had to wait for the screen refresh to flip the buffer. Had we been allowed to flip the buffer whenever we wanted, we would have been able to render 47 frames in that time period (1000ms/21ms = 47 frames & change). In other words, by enabling v-sync we've cut our graphics performance by 47%.

Granted, this is the worst case scenario and in the best case we can lose virtually no performance, but in practice the results are often in the middle and we're still giving up a significant level of performance. Other than using triple buffering, we need to disable v-sync in order to maximize our performance and keep our video card working all the time.

AnotherGuy

Dec 9, 2003
LOL my over 2 year old system can play NFS carbon just fine.... at 1280x1024..... lol maybe i should rethink upgrading :p

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
I jumped from a X800XT PE to a X1950XT and in this game I saw a 10% performance increase at best, usually runs between 40 and 60's, that's it. Runs a bit more smooth, but pretty much the same as my old card. In other games the performance increase has been remarkably, but in none of the Need for Speed series that can be seen, weird.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Originally posted by: clandren
doesnt nvidia have some notoriously bad vista drivers right now? that would be my guess.

Actually it isn't weird. Same thing happened to me when I initially got my 8800 and I was immensely disappointed. Turns out there is some driver problem or something that doesn't allow them to install correctly. Are you getting absurdly low frames in 3Dmark?

Completely remove your drivers including reg key stuff and then reinstall. I did that and viola I had a 25% increase in frames.

Until then I was getting 20-40 fps in most titles including 3dmark.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
I'll see if that does it Pugnate. Did you use Driver Cleaner to clean your reg?

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Had midterms last week and this week, so didn't have a chance to try it out after uninstalling, cleaning the reg, etc. I don't think I'll have a chance to try this weekend either, but maybe I'll get around to doing it tomorrow.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Forcing Vsync off in control panel, as well as having it off in the game doesn't change the fact that FRAPS reports 60 FPS. I still get slowdowns too. With 158.18s off a fresh install and I used driver cleaner. Halp!

almach1

Sep 3, 2005
i recently purchased this game for my rig for an upcoming lan party and it performs horribly in vista. i get nasty tearing in the cut scenes during career mode too. I think i read that the games just isn't coded right for vista.

in XP with current 8800gts the games runs like butter in the highest resolution the game allowed me (i think 1600x1200)

i think it's probably vista problem.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Gotchya. That's too bad :| I liked it but it's getting annoying when FPS plummet. Oh well I'll wait for the DX10 NFS game :)

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
could be an Nvidia driver issue...I run an X1950pro and Vista Ultimate, NFS:Carbon runs really smooth on my rig with everything at maximum detail at 1280x1024...I actually get slightly worse performance from Most wanted than Carbon...and both run really well on Vista with a ATI card.

I haven't tried my 7800GS under vista yet, but it had no problems running those game under Windows XP.