8800GT Temperatures

chinaman1472

Nov 20, 2007
nVidia's Control Panel reports 60-64°C when I'm idling. ATi Tool reports 60-64°C for GPU, 49°C for temp. chip for when I'm idling. The low end of the temps are after I've opened the side panel of my case as well. I got the BIOS update from BFG, and currently using the newest drivers for nVidia. My computer's on basically 24/7, if it matters. These temps seem really high for an idle... is there something wrong?

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
The second number is the 'ambient' temperature. If the air near the card is getting up to 50C (what are you doing, baking cookies in there?) then 60C idle is certainly likely.

Since the GT does not vent to the outside you've got to have great case circulation not to be staring at boiling load temps. That shouldn't be your problem with the 5 fans you have -- unless all of them are blowing the same direction and either creating a vacuum in or case or presurizing it.

aussiestilgar

Dec 2, 2007
Those are probably the correct temperatures. I recommend download Rivatuner (here) and use it to set your fan speed higher. The BFG 8800GTs fans are locked at 29%, which is kind of low. Setting it to 40-50% will give you better temps and no more noise. Theres a guide on creating fan profiles to make the fan ramp up if the core temp rises too.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Yes, the stock cooled 8800 GT likes being hot because Nvidia thought that is better to make a single slot cooler that can boil water, instead of using a dual slot one that can actually cool the gpu. Be careful, if you're doing 64 C at idle you are probably having 95-100 C at load, and that is not healthy.

chinaman1472

Nov 20, 2007
I'll check my fan orientation just to make sure. I have 2 for the rear exhaust blowing hot air outside, 1 on the top blowing outside air into the case, 1 on the side blowing outside air into the case, and one in the lower front blowing air to the back.

My CPU idles around 29-32°C, it that means anything.
I'll work with RivaTunerand see if that improves.
And cookies sound good, I'll try baking some in there.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Those temps arent THAT bad for a 8800GT.

Id check on BFG to see if you have the updated bios, most likely you don't.

chinaman1472

Nov 20, 2007
I have the updated BIOS, because I downloaded them today (again) to make sure I had them, along with the most recent drivers from nVidia.com.

With RivaTuner, I set the Fan Speed at 60% and it idles around 50-52°C now. I'm more concerned with my idle temperatures because it's typically on idle more than I game. When its under stress I expect some high temps.

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Definately get RivaTuner and turn the fan speed up just to see what it does. My EVGA 8800GT SC is running at 42º right now so it is possible.. even with the crappy fans.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: chinaman1472
I'll check my fan orientation just to make sure. I have 2 for the rear exhaust blowing hot air outside, 1 on the top blowing outside air into the case, 1 on the side blowing outside air into the case, and one in the lower front blowing air to the back.

My CPU idles around 29-32°C, it that means anything.
I'll work with RivaTunerand see if that improves.
And cookies sound good, I'll try baking some in there.

My BFG 8800 GT idles at 64C for the GPU temp, according to Everest.

BTW, I believe that your Top Fan should be directed to blow the air OUTSIDE of the case, not inside. If it blows inside, it will interfere with the natural tendency of heat to rise.

The rest of the fans seems to be configured properly.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: coxmaster
Definately get RivaTuner and turn the fan speed up just to see what it does. My EVGA 8800GT SC is running at 42º right now so it is possible.. even with the crappy fans.

If BFG is comfortable with the average high temperatures, so am I.

That's why they offer "Lifetime Warranty", right...? ;)

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
True.. lifetime warranties are nice

As for the fans.. Yes you generally want the front fans blowing in, and the back fans blowing out. That way you get a single direction air flow.

arnav

Nov 28, 2007
I got a EVGA 8800GT a week ago and it idles around 39C and under load it is 47C with my case open at 100% fan speed using ntune.
I have no problems with loud fan noise or anything like that, as long as it performs, i am happy.
To make my temps go lower i put a room fan right next to my case and have it blowing air on full speed to keep my load temps around 42C, pretty chill.
I don't even notice the fan noise once I am into the game.

chinaman1472

Nov 20, 2007
@Justageek
Ah, I'll switch up the top fan. Though, that fan is definitely sub-par and wearing out. Sometimes I catch it it not even spinning.

I do have a lifetime warranty on it and IS nice, but it's also not my ideal scenario to RMA a card because of something I could have easily prevented. More so, it was also a check since I've seen quite a few people running 8800GTs the same temperatures when it's under load vs. mine when it's idling.

Thanks for the help :)

TroubleM

Nov 28, 2005
I removed the metal plate on my case located underneath the graphics card so that that hot air that the card's fan is blowing toward the back of the case has a place to go.

You can try with more of those metal plate depending of your system configuration. The fan located in front of the case will help in this case this the air-flow. I get better temperatures on my 8800Gt then with my case open.

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
So as someone who is looking at an 8800GT, is the consensus to

a) Use something like an EVGA that might have subpar (reference) cooling but a lifetime warranty?

or

b) Get something like the MSI card that has a large heatsink built in, but a (3 year?) warranty.

I have the EVGA in shrinkwrap that I bought an Microcenter for $230. Wondering whether to make the switch before I install.

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
I would use the EVGA.. The heatsink/fan isnt as bad as people make it seem. Make sure you find and take the plastic protector off the heatsink (its really thin) and your temps will be fine.

Im idling at 48º with 20% fan.. and mine is EVGA Superclocked

chinaman1472

Nov 20, 2007
Seems I can't break the 50°C at 60% fan speed. Knocked out all of the expansion panels as well. Oh well, dropping 14°C is still quite a bit. I can ramp it up to 80-100% fan speed for a few more degrees lower, but my tower's a bit louder than I already want it to be.

eVGA also has a step-up program you can take advantage too. At the same price, I see no reason to get the MSI at the same price. If the MSI is $30+ cheaper, I'd probably opt for the MSI.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I got bfg's with the updated bios. fans hover @ 29% but speed up dynamically with the temp. Mine never seem to go into the 70's maybe because I run them in an antec 900?

charden

Mar 30, 2007
I'm having the exact same problem, just got my bfg 8800gt oc which runs the gpu@625mhz and ram@900mhz and it idles at 60-61 and load is at 74-80. I just came from a 7900GTO that had a load of 44c so im worried..

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: chinaman1472

eVGA also has a step-up program you can take advantage too. At the same price, I see no reason to get the MSI at the same price. If the MSI is $30+ cheaper, I'd probably opt for the MSI.

It's got a 25 dollar cooler on it.

aussiestilgar

Dec 2, 2007
Originally posted by: charden
I'm having the exact same problem, just got my bfg 8800gt oc which runs the gpu@625mhz and ram@900mhz and it idles at 60-61 and load is at 74-80. I just came from a 7900GTO that had a load of 44c so im worried..

Don't worry, just download the latest bios and Rivatuner and set up a fan profile for 40-60%.
Also, take the BFG "OC" sticker off the fan, it has a habit of falling off and getting stuck inside the card, its happened to me and many others.

vanvock

Jan 1, 2005
Originally posted by: coxmaster
I would use the EVGA.. The heatsink/fan isnt as bad as people make it seem. Make sure you find and take the plastic protector off the heatsink (its really thin) and your temps will be fine.

Im idling at 48º with 20% fan.. and mine is EVGA Superclocked

I guess I missed that on mine, it did make a nasty noise when it first fired up maybe because it blew the thing off? Temps are'nt too bad & I,ve looked but can't find any plastic laying around in there. You'd think that they would warn you about such. Where is it located exactly?

Are you refering to the sheet that covers the whole outside body of the fan casing? I found that & a small piece of metalic shaving on the fins, which I guess caused the noise.