8800GT 1GB Pics!

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
2,438
2
0
Palit has already had a 1GB model on the market for a while now...


Gainward has two 1GB models...


Galaxy has a 1GB model...


ASUS has one...
 

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
21,303
4
81
Well, if you run 2560x1600 like me, 1 GB is a damn good thing...sorta.

There's still nothing that can come anywhere close to maxing out games like Crysis at that kinda resolution though, so while the RAM is good, fps would still be terrible due to insufficient overall power.
 

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
3,123
0
0
Originally posted by: ja1484
Palit has already had a 1GB model on the market for a while now...


Gainward has two 1GB models...


Galaxy has a 1GB model...


ASUS has one...

I wasn't aware that they were already out.
Haven't seen them at Newegg...;)
 

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
3,123
0
0
Originally posted by: n7
Well, if you run 2560x1600 like me, 1 GB is a damn good thing...sorta.

There's still nothing that can come anywhere close to maxing out games like Crysis at that kinda resolution though, so while the RAM is good, fps would still be terrible due to insufficient overall power.

Good point there.

I think:
256MB is not enough
320MB is marginal at best
512MB is optimal
768MB is great
1GB is currently a waste
 

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
2,173
15
81
I thought they were supposed to be coming out with better coolers?

Looks like this is still venting the heat into the case?

 

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
1,848
29
91
I noticed we always have about 4 times as much system memory as graphics memory for the high end.

Back in the 6800/X800 days it was 256MB cards with 1GB of ram. Now it's 512MB cards with 2GB of ram.

It makes sense that this 1GB card would go in a 4GB high end system.
 

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
3,123
0
0
Originally posted by: firewolfsm
I noticed we always have about 4 times as much system memory as graphics memory for the high end.

Back in the 6800/X800 days it was 256MB cards with 1GB of ram. Now it's 512MB cards with 2GB of ram.

It makes sense that this 1GB card would go in a 4GB high end system.

Interesting point but the practicality of it, is waning.
 

Syntax Error

Senior member
Oct 29, 2007
617
0
0
Still the reference 8800GT single-slot cooler, eh? Didn't the Gainward model have a pretty good stock cooler?
 

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
2,438
2
0
Originally posted by: Cheex
Originally posted by: ja1484
Palit has already had a 1GB model on the market for a while now...


Gainward has two 1GB models...


Galaxy has a 1GB model...


ASUS has one...

I wasn't aware that they were already out.
Haven't seen them at Newegg...;)

The Palit has been on the market for weeks.

The others are either near release or are already out in the wild, just not the egg.

You haven't noticed newegg's selection getting much worse over the past 3 years?
 

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
3,123
0
0
Originally posted by: hooflung
Thou shalt not make unfavorable comments about Newegg!

Thou shalt not make unfavorable comments about Newegg!
 

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
2,438
2
0
Originally posted by: hooflung
Thou shalt not make unfavorable comments about Newegg!


Thou shalt bite me. They've been going slowly but steadily downhill for at least 36 months now.

I recall when ZZF couldn't even compare, these days they often match, sometimes beat Newegg on deals/prices/shipping/selection. Same for ClubIT.

I love 'em as much as the next enthusiast and still order from them quite regularly, but face it, they're no longer the golden stick they once were - they're just one of a number of options now.
 

Cardio

Senior member
Jun 11, 2003
903
0
76
Originally posted by: ja1484
Originally posted by: hooflung
Thou shalt not make unfavorable comments about Newegg!


Thou shalt bite me. They've been going slowly but steadily downhill for at least 36 months now.

I recall when ZZF couldn't even compare, these days they often match, sometimes beat Newegg on deals/prices/shipping/selection. Same for ClubIT.

I love 'em as much as the next enthusiast and still order from them quite regularly, but face it, they're no longer the golden stick they once were - they're just one of a number of options now.

Try to contact one of the others with a problem and then tell us they are as good. It took me 7 days to contact ZZF as they only answer email, days later. Never again.
 

sutahz

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2007
1,301
0
0
So 1024MB of VRAM on a 256-bit bus... worthless. The bus width matters at high resolutions, which is why the GTX is still the king because of its 384-bit bus. "But sutahz it also has 50% more RAM". Yes and that allows more eye candy at those high resolutions. I'm sure someone else can give a much more detailed and accurate rundown of how 1GB is a marketing scheme on a 256-bit bus, but thats the low down.
 

mageslayer

Senior member
Apr 16, 2007
624
0
76
Originally posted by: Cardio
Originally posted by: ja1484
Originally posted by: hooflung
Thou shalt not make unfavorable comments about Newegg!


Thou shalt bite me. They've been going slowly but steadily downhill for at least 36 months now.

I recall when ZZF couldn't even compare, these days they often match, sometimes beat Newegg on deals/prices/shipping/selection. Same for ClubIT.

I love 'em as much as the next enthusiast and still order from them quite regularly, but face it, they're no longer the golden stick they once were - they're just one of a number of options now.

Try to contact one of the others with a problem and then tell us they are as good. It took me 7 days to contact ZZF as they only answer email, days later. Never again.

Newegg rocks!!!!!!!!! I get instantaneous response from customer service, 2-day shipment on standard shipping and amazing prices.
 

Syntax Error

Senior member
Oct 29, 2007
617
0
0
Originally posted by: palladium
http://www.palit.biz/en/produc..._8500GT-Super-1GB.html">1GB 8500</a>

Lol, anyone who gets this is a fool.

Well, sell this next to the Best Buys and make sure to highlight "1GB!!!111" next to the numerous FX5200s, and it'll fly off the shelves I bet. Especially after Best Buy workers "help" customers out and reason that it's a good card because it has 1GB of VRAM as they also redirect them to buy a $150 useless warranty.
 

Cardio

Senior member
Jun 11, 2003
903
0
76
Originally posted by: Syntax Error
Originally posted by: palladium
http://www.palit.biz/en/produc..._8500GT-Super-1GB.html">1GB 8500</a>

Lol, anyone who gets this is a fool.

Well, sell this next to the Best Buys and make sure to highlight "1GB!!!111" next to the numerous FX5200s, and it'll fly off the shelves I bet. Especially after Best Buy workers "help" customers out and reason that it's a good card because it has 1GB of VRAM as they also redirect them to buy a $150 useless warranty.


Yes, but you need that warranty with all that RAM !!!!