8800 GT > DVI > HDMI Adaptor > Receiver > Display Questions

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
Howdy,

Last year I attempted to connect my 8800GT (Rig 2 in Sig SLI) to my display using a DVI > HDMI adaptor without any success. Back then, I remember a few people saying it simply didn't work...ie, driver issues, misc. compatibility issues, etc. In addition, I had major issues trying to update the drivers, so I was stuck with the previous version, which worked in most other areas.

Fast forward to today. I updated to the latest drivers last night (191.07) & I've already seen massive improvements, specifically with BF2. I can run the game with SLI enabled now without crashing, which was not possible before the update. I can also max out the in-game Res. now without issues, which struggled severely before.

So, with these issues resolved, I'm led to believe the DVI > HDMI adaptor solution might actually work now. Here's what the ideal setup would look like:

PC (Rig 2 in Sig) > DVI > HDMI Adaptor > Receiver (Pioneer VSX-92TXH) > Plasma display via HDMI.

Currently, I'm using a DVI > VGA Adaptor > Plasma display & it works fine, but this isn't my preference.

Your thoughts & opinions are welcome.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
I'm watching Dexter right now on my 32" LCD with a DVI-> HDMI cable I bought from Monoprice being driven by an 8800gt in Vista x64.

I've been running this setup for 6 months now at least, and I never had any issues.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
But my question is, would it work if it were going to the receiver versus directly to the display? In theory, it should. I'll try it again this weekend.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
I tried everything to get this to work, & didn't have any success. No matter what I tried, the text was blurry & very difficult to read. I had to revert back to the good ole reliable VGA.