8600gts is toasty

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Sister just got an 8600gts, which after an hour of furmark, is sitting toasty at 94c :eek:

Makes overclocking kind of difficult. Looking to get the cheapest "out the back" cooler I can. I can't seem to find any ATI Silencers that will fit. Any recommendations?

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Sister just got an 8600gts, which after an hour of furmark, is sitting toasty at 94c :eek:

That's what Furmark does. It stresses the GPU far beyond normal 3D apps/games, so 94C is reasonable, although most ppl wouldn't consider it acceptable under normal operation.

8600GTS was neither fast for its time, nor highly overclockable. Tweaking & overclocking out of interest/principle, maybe - but spending money on an aftermarket cooler for this old, slow card?

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
8600GT with recent driver optimizations finally catched up with the X1950PRO in newer games. Furmark will tax your GPU so hard that in some scenarios, it had burned some GPU's hehe. No game will tax your GPU that hard so don't worry about your toasty temperatures. Mine could reach up to 94C in the Core and 105C in the shader core, but in reality, in games, the core never exceeds 75C and the shader rarely reaches 90C, so you are good, for more peace in mind, put some AS5 or Shin Etsu. :)