860 running hooooot!!!

Jenslyn87

Jun 16, 2010
Yea, so I overclocked my system from FSB 133 to 145... i7 860, 4 gigs of ram, intel mobo, radeon 5850

I had heard from a supposedly knowledgable friend that overclocking would not affect temperature and stability much if only I didn't increase voltage. I was perhaps stupid in just going ahead and clocking it.

Now, it seems to have worked well so far but today it crashed. I had a feeling it might be temps since it was hot in my room and since it just closed down instantly only to reboot by itself a couple of seconds after.

So I monitored temps and my cores reached close to 80 C right after a gaming session. I figured this was quite a lot. Then, I monitored temps whilst running prime95 (the max heat test) and it actually reached 90 C. Then, the multiplier started adjusting, so did the fanspeed, and I figured that it would do that to protect itself. Also, I actually got a blue error screen two times during testing! So it didn't just shut down like the first time, but blue screens could be from overheating too, I guess?

So now I started thinking that maybe it was stupid of me to overclock this machine with a stock cooler. I just heard they were getting really good and people had an easy time overclocking i7s, but at the same time I probably don't have the knowledge I need to overclock safely. I didn't increase voltage at all though.

Now I've put it back to normal clocks again. Seems stable as of right now, but I'm just sooo nervous that I might've caused damage to the cpu by being a bold idiot :(

Now, even though I'm obviously being stupid about this, I hope you will help me with a couple of questions about all this:

1. Does a computer suddenly just shutting down then rebooting a couple of seconds after signify a problem with the processor? If so, it is a reasonable conclusion that the cause is overheating? Same goes for the blue screen...

2. With prime95, I still reach a max of 88 degrees (I think just one core, generally cores were 85-87). As I'm typing now, temps are just above 50 C... and it's hot in the room. Is this ok when you consider it's only this high with prime95? When I'm gaming, it doesn't come close. I think it's more like 70 C but I'll have to do further testing. Also, the multiplier doesn't jump up and down like when it was overclocking when running prime95.

3. This is the biggie. As said, the computer seems to run without a problem now, so do you think I have avoided doing damage to my cpu as long as I keep it at stock speeds? I just hope so bad that it's not going to go down on me tomorrow or perform worse from now on or whatever since I overclocked it and it reached those high temps. Am I good you think?

Thanks a lot for any answers. I definitely won't be overclocking my cpu anytime soon again, I just hope I haven't caused permanent damage or something :(((

Last edited:

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Nah, you're fine. While getting to 90c isn't a very good thing, if it was just for a little bit and on stock voltage it's really unlikely you hurt anything. Get a better cooler and go nuts. :p FYI I'd try to keep an i7 under about 75c max load (running prime95 or intel burn test or w/e you prefer). Grab that better cooler, up vcore to about 1.25, up vtt to 1.25 ish as well, and you should have a super easy and cool running 3.6ghz or so. 3.8 doable, and above 4ghz temps really go nuts on air imho.

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
I have a similar question but with a e7200. what temps can i get to and not worry? right now it loads at 60c

Jenslyn87

Jun 16, 2010
Thanks for the answer! I hope I haven't hurt anything. If someone could answer all three questions in my post I would be grateful! Just to have some input and learn from this :)

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Actually, I'm pretty sure your fan isn't fully attached. Temps hitting 90C on a stock voltage 145BCLK i7-860 sound way off. And 70C while gaming when you're at default clocks? Check your heatsink push-pins. You could be damaging that processor.

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
I have a similar question but with a e7200. what temps can i get to and not worry? right now it loads at 60c

60c is hot I would try to get your temps down some not going to really hurt anything but does leave you much room for a hot day.

Jenslyn87

Jun 16, 2010
Actually, I'm pretty sure your fan isn't fully attached. Temps hitting 90C on a stock voltage 145BCLK i7-860 sound way off. And 70C while gaming when you're at default clocks? Check your heatsink push-pins. You could be damaging that processor.
Actually I just checked... most cores go to around 74-75 when gaming with stock clocks, but one core goes to 80. I'm guessing this is beacuse the game (Starcraft 2) only fully utilizes one core. But this sounds too hot? The cooler seems to be firm in place, and I've got both sides off the cabinet. There's also a fan installed inside the cabinet.

What I will say though is that my room is pretty damn hot...

But I don't know what to do now! I'm not even sure I can install another cool, let alone afford one.. buying this rig was tough on my student economy. What would a nice cooler cost?

Also please, if someone will answer all three questions in my initial post in order I would be grateful :)

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
1. Does a computer suddenly just shutting down then rebooting a couple of seconds after signify a problem with the processor? If so, it is a reasonable conclusion that the cause is overheating? Same goes for the blue screen...

2. With prime95, I still reach a max of 88 degrees (I think just one core, generally cores were 85-87). As I'm typing now, temps are just above 50 C... and it's hot in the room. Is this ok when you consider it's only this high with prime95? When I'm gaming, it doesn't come close. I think it's more like 70 C but I'll have to do further testing. Also, the multiplier doesn't jump up and down like when it was overclocking when running prime95.

3. This is the biggie. As said, the computer seems to run without a problem now, so do you think I have avoided doing damage to my cpu as long as I keep it at stock speeds? I just hope so bad that it's not going to go down on me tomorrow or perform worse from now on or whatever since I overclocked it and it reached those high temps. Am I good you think?

1. Yes - a shutdown and restart could be from overheating.

2. Idle temps above 50C and max load temps at 88C are not ok.

3. You probably haven't caused permanent damage, but temperatures approaching 80C during gaming at stock speeds indicates that something is wrong and you may damage the processor over time. Also, it is normal for some cores to be hotter than others. There may be about a 5C difference between them, but you should monitor the hottest of the cores to determine whether you are in the safe zone.

How hot is it in your room? You should seriously consider investing in a new heatsink. If you can purchase a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ for around $30US where you are, that would be the best option. I still think something isn't installed correctly, unless your ambient temperature is truly hot, such as 30C or above.

Last edited:

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
50C idle hehehe I saw that once when I was benching 4.2 during 100F weather.

Jenslyn87

Jun 16, 2010
Hmmm this is freaking me out! Is there any easy way to determine if the cooler/heat sink is installed correctly? It's stock.

So since all of you helpful troublemakers made me worry I have now loaded optimal defaults in the BIOS. Now, idle temp is around 43 degrees but full load during prime95 one core still peaks at 86 degrees while the others are just a tad lower.

Hmmm...

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Hmmm this is freaking me out! Is there any easy way to determine if the cooler/heat sink is installed correctly? It's stock.

So since all of you helpful troublemakers made me worry I have now loaded optimal defaults in the BIOS. Now, idle temp is around 43 degrees but full load during prime95 one core still peaks at 86 degrees while the others are just a tad lower.

Hmmm...

I think you mean "helpful troubleshooters"...we're definitely not trying to make trouble!

First make sure that none of the pushpins come out by simply pulling on them or the heatsink. If you can, also take the motherboard out so you can see the bottom of it. This will allow you to see whether the pushpins have properly locked inside each mounting hole.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
I have a similar setup, except with a Mugen 2 + Scythe GT.

At 4.1ghz it was going past 85C in OCCT and mobo's auto protection kicked in. Backed it down to 3.99ghz and now its doing ~82C in OCCT stable.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I think everybody agrees that the stock HSF is barely adequate even at stock speed.

If you want lower temps, overclocked or not, get an aftermarket cooler.

Jenslyn87

Jun 16, 2010
Thanks guys this is helping!

From further testing it seems that my multiplier is autoadjusting all the time!! When the temps reach 81 C or so the multiplier starts dipping just for a tiny while, then it will get back up. To me it seems like it's the computer trying to protect itself. Do you agree? I guess it's because I have allowed it to dynamically change the multiplier.

So basically I can't keep it at full speed. With just one core running, it should be doing above 3.4. Do you agree with my conclusion that the computer is lowering the multiplier to keep temperatures down?

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Thanks guys this is helping!

From further testing it seems that my multiplier is autoadjusting all the time!! When the temps reach 81 C or so the multiplier starts dipping just for a tiny while, then it will get back up. To me it seems like it's the computer trying to protect itself. Do you agree? I guess it's because I have allowed it to dynamically change the multiplier.

So basically I can't keep it at full speed. With just one core running, it should be doing above 3.4. Do you agree with my conclusion that the computer is lowering the multiplier to keep temperatures down?

Yes, your processor is too hot. The CPU is shutting down its turbo mode in response, likely bringing it back to 2.8Ghz. I think you should determine why it's overheating.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Well I will repeat the common wisdom: get a better heatsink or forget OC'ing :)
tbh I was quite curious myself after hearing success stories of oc'ing i3's on stock coolers. Same can't be said about the Lynnfields, it appears :(

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
we've been seeing many threads on this same subject. The stock i7 coolers must be really crappy, lol.

Jenslyn87

Jun 16, 2010
Also are you guys sure it's the heat that's causing my multiplier to go up and down?

38063_417119954511_745279511_4459752_5579528_n.jpg

Just sitting and watching CPU-Z my multiplier will switch between 25 and 24.... but in the BIOS I chose Performance instead of low energy, which means it should not allow the pc to adjust the multiplier. And in this instance the temperatures aren't high, since I'm not doing anything and no programs are running.

Anyone?

I really value everyone's input! Very helpful :)

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
You so should have picked up mugen 2 while it was on sale at ewiz! It still might be, they have a new $5 off coupon code.