Question 860 EVO 1TB Boot time seems slow (Help)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
So I bought this 1TB 860 EVO new last year from BestBuy. I don't have much knowledge but doesn't the boot time (video clip) seem a bit slow? Also these are the only programs I have for Startup with Windows (2 Thumbnail below)
Desktop Screenshot 2020.12.10 - 18.37.54.01.png

Attachments

• Desktop Screenshot 2020.12.10 - 18.37.51.50.png
    Desktop Screenshot 2020.12.10 - 18.37.51.50.png
    425.9 KB · Views: 9

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Looks like you have some stuff happening in BIOS as it takes a while to get through BIOS before it ever stars to get to your OS on your SSD. Once you see it cycling power, it loads very fast into your OS. The bulk of your time was BIOS posting and passing. I'd start there.

Very best,

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Looks like you have some stuff happening in BIOS as it takes a while to get through BIOS before it ever stars to get to your OS on your SSD. Once you see it cycling power, it loads very fast into your OS. The bulk of your time was BIOS posting and passing. I'd start there.

Very best,
Dang good point but I have no clue what it could be in BIOS I just reset BIOS and the only thing I changed was enabling XMP no clue what it could be. Thing is loading almost like a HDD in my opinion lol which is strange because I have AC Valhalla installed on it and it loads really fast. Guess I'll just take it how it is because I don't think there is going to be a fix for it. But thank you for your input anyway. Cheers!

Reactions: MalVeauX

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Looks like the non-BIOS part of your boot time was 4 seconds.

Usually there are settings in BIOS to futz with to shorten BIOS boot time testing.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Yes that's what another person suggested on a different forums going to give it a try tomorrow. Thank you!
There are 2 places to look. One is usually called a fast boot setting to skip some boot up checks like ram I think. Another one is the wait time, which is the pause during boot up to give the user time to read whats on the display.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
I don't get the fascination with OS boot times anyways. It's seconds. Seconds.

Then again, my machine is 24/7 on, on battery backup, and the drives are all set to never spin down, ever, so that it's always ready for maximum use without any latency between commands or seeks due to getting everything back online and working.

Very best,

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I don't like enabling fastboot... Can't get to bios setting easily.
Yeah I decided not to mess with it after all.

I don't get the fascination with OS boot times anyways. It's seconds. Seconds.

Then again, my machine is 24/7 on, on battery backup, and the drives are all set to never spin down, ever, so that it's always ready for maximum use without any latency between commands or seeks due to getting everything back online and working.

Very best,
You right I just saw some people showing how fast theirs's booted and wanted same performance but I am happy now the way mine is. I rather not mess with settings in BIOS that I don't know what they will do.

Reactions: MalVeauX