850 Evo 4TB

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
11,679
1,944
126
Finally getting a 4TB SSD that I've been anxious to own for a while now.

So I'm currently running on 2 x 1TB SSDs with games primarily loaded onto the D: drive. My question is, does it make sense to move everything to the lone drive, or keep one of the existing 1TB for the C: drive and let the 4TB be for games/media?

My thought is for the latter as a protective measure of sorts, but maybe I'm missing a potential advantage of having a single drive.

Advice? Thanks.
 

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
102,414
8,356
126
more channels is more channels.

so i guess it depends on what the 1 TB drives are. if it's something old and slow where the 950 doing double duty is still going to be faster, then use just the 950. otherwise, i think your best performance is going to be using 2 drives.

although you may not be able to notice it one way or another anyway. at least with 2 drives you get 3 additional TB of storage rather than 2.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jackstar7

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
11,679
1,944
126
That's good logic and I am down with it. My drives are Crucial M500 which perform well for me, but I was definitely starting to having some concerns about my total space, so this should solve that and keep me set for the foreseeable future.
 

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
15,707
1,450
126
Mmm . . . I can't find a 950 EVO 4TB -- just an 860 and an 850 EVO. I can't find an NVMe drive of that spec. It must be the SATA SSDs. So the performance is at the top for that drive spec, or something above 500 MB/s sequential read.

I bought the 2TB Crucial. Can't say I'm unhappy with it, but it was a tad more than I need. It all depends on how much storage in TB you really need . . . .
 

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
20,841
3,189
126
i also think the op meant 850 evo 4TB.

to be honest at 1000 dollars that is kinda steep.

ID much rather get 2 micron 1100 and Raid 0 them for almost half the cost, for 4TB to hold me out until a 4TB pci-e NVME price becomes reasonable.

This is the drive im talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/Micron-1100-...e=UTF8&qid=1531460254&sr=1-8&keywords=4tb+ssd

I currently have 4 of those guys in my system:

2 for steam drive... (sigh... im always worried about running out of space)
1 for origin.
1 for everything else like u-play + battle.net

but my main boot drive will always be a nvme.... which i have a 1tb 960 pro for.
 

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
11,679
1,944
126
Sorry for the typo, you are correct on the branding number. Title fixed.

Also, to clarify something, I got it for about half-price from a private sale and it has minimal use.

The reason I'm not on an nvme yet is because I'm still just humming along with my ol' 3770K. When it comes time to step into Ryzen or a fresh intel, then I'm sure I'll likewise grab one for my boot drive.
 
Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
20,841
3,189
126
ahhh half price 4TB 850!

:O

with light usage on top....
thats one heck of a deal...

can he provide you a copy of the receipt incase the drive goes belly up?
Then its basically a no brainer.
Who cares if its slower then a R0 setup, its the cheapeast $/Gig your gonna get period on a SSD.
 

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
11,679
1,944
126
ahhh half price 4TB 850!

:O

with light usage on top....
thats one heck of a deal...

can he provide you a copy of the receipt incase the drive goes belly up?
Then its basically a no brainer.
Who cares if its slower then a R0 setup, its the cheapeast $/Gig your gonna get period on a SSD.
I am hopeful to have warranty coverage, but even if not, I might be okay with the gamble, since I won't keep the OS on the drive. If it craps out, I'll be pissed, but this was the price I was willing to take that risk on, too.

I appreciate the advice on not consolidating and think it is probably wise and will likely provide me the best experience.
 

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
82,854
17,365
136
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01ECEM7S2/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new


funny-photoshop-art-character-design-facial-expression-shock-horror-surprise-pixar-style.jpg
 

nosirrahx

Senior member
Mar 24, 2018
304
75
101
The only way I could justify the price of a 4TB SATA SSD would be to pair it with an Optane drive to make it perform more like a NVMe drive.

I actually did this for my son's system so he can have a single huge drive with solid performance.

If not doing this I would not be willing to commit this kind of $ to a SATA drive.
 

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
15,707
1,450
126
The only way I could justify the price of a 4TB SATA SSD would be to pair it with an Optane drive to make it perform more like a NVMe drive.

I actually did this for my son's system so he can have a single huge drive with solid performance.

If not doing this I would not be willing to commit this kind of $ to a SATA drive.
There you are, and there it is.

I confess to myself and I apologize to myself in some degree for purchasing a 2TB Crucial SSD, which I think took away about $550 of my sparse stock of cash. The REASON I bought it was sheer folly -- under the scenario which you yourself describe.

I had a 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" drive that I was caching to NVME (250GB Sammy 960 EVO). Every so often -- once every two or three weeks -- Macrium backup would lead me to errors on the drive that were fixable routinely with CHKDSK. In my haste to get beyond that situation, I simply decided to replace the Seagate with the Crucial, despite the fact that the speed of the SSD would only increase to the same 80% (more or less) of the NVME's performance. It wouldn't have made any difference for the caching if the drive was an HDD or an SSD.

It turns out that my drive errors were the result of a glitch in the caching software version being used, in conjunction with TWO-TIERED caching that used RAM as well as NVME.

There is more bang for buck to use a caching solution on an HDD with smaller NVME drives -- or -- with the Optane choice which you made. It doesn't have to be two-tiered. And it should ordinarily work well and reliably.
 

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
11,679
1,944
126
Got the drive.

Went through a minor headache with transferring from MBR drive to GPT drive, but got that sorted eventually and now everything seems to be humming along as normal. I am pleased and have hopes that this drive will seamlessly make it into my next build. Just have to decide between whatever Intel is bringing to the table next and Zen2.
 

Batboy88

Member
Jul 17, 2018
72
2
11
Well I do not know still a good drive..no ones really answered back on the new drive aliens..
You gonna let them Dog Eaters do that and run away with it lol..mannn lol



This racist/bigoted posting has no place on our forums.
Do it again, and you will be removed.


esquared
Anandtech Forum Director
 
Last edited by a moderator: