802.11b/g/n + 802.3/3u = $20

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
nante-

yes.

and relatively a big difference. i would keep it to single or two users max though... unless all you do is browse forums

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
My parents are using a 6-7 year old Linksys WRT54G with the dual antennas. They have a Roku across the house about 40-50 feet away and get a pretty weak signal. Think this will help them enough?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
My parents are using a 6-7 year old Linksys WRT54G with the dual antennas. They have a Roku across the house about 40-50 feet away and get a pretty weak signal. Think this will help them enough?

hard to say because g signals travel further then n signals, and also if its working right then you should still get more bandwidth then you need with g.

generally though, yes a good n router will give you better results... but 50ft through walls can be tough like i was saying. if anything, get a 5ghz n router and be done with it (5ghz travels even less then regular n or g, but the interference on that spectrum is so much lower it almost always works a lot better) or, add a router in repeater mode to extend the signal you already have...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This deal is back on. $29.99 - $10 promo code (on page) = $19.99 FS.

Btw, OP, please change title and add "WNR2000" to title.

Edit: These work great with DD-WRT, assuming that you get a v2 unit.

DarkTXKnight

Oct 3, 2001
how does this compare to the router that comes with uverse? would i use this as a replacement of some sort or just a repeater?

GTFan

Jan 11, 2001
i dont know, but i doubt it. seems like they keep a feature or two as a premium price addon, and in most routers thats gigabit ports.

It's gotta be marketing when you can routinely get 8-port Gig switches for $20 or less now on sale.

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Yep, and why limit it to 4 ports? I can easily use 8 in my home network, but I have to by a separate switch, more power usage/cables, etc. etc.. Routers have changed very little over the years, with the exception of their wireless technologies.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yep, and why limit it to 4 ports? I can easily use 8 in my home network, but I have to by a separate switch, more power usage/cables, etc. etc.. Routers have changed very little over the years, with the exception of their wireless technologies.
Except, back in the pre-wireless internet days, 8-port routers were actually a bit more common.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
Just connect this to a Gigabit switch, and the rest of your network will run at Gb speeds. There isn't much benefit to a Gb router unless you want it to be your only hub. I have the older revision of this one on my Gb network and it works great. Even though the router hands out the IP Addresses, the Gb switches make sure all network traffic takes the most efficient route, so I get Gb speeds on all network traffic except Internet, which doesn't matter since I have a 25Mbit Internet connection.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
how does this compare to the router that comes with uverse? would i use this as a replacement of some sort or just a repeater?

In my opinion, this is a better router. However your Uverse router is probably your DSL modem as well, so setting both up can be tricky. I had a similiar setup in he past. I would recommend turning off all dhcp features on the Uverse device, and just use it as a modem, and not a router. Then make the new router the only one handling all router duties. Otherwise you'll have a double NAT situation, and a lot of funny network behavior, especially if you have a server.

I was having a lot of trouble with my DSL modem/router, with reboots needed every few days. I wasn't sure if I needed a new DSL modem, or if it just couldn't handle the load I put on it (up tp 15 devices connected at once). So I picked up one of these Netgear routers cheap, and and configured my DSL modem to just be a modem only - no DHCP/Router duties. I then setup this Netgear router after it to handle all DHCP and internet traffic. After I did this, things have been rock stable. This device has no trouble handling 5 PCs inernet gaming at once, while running Netflix. I run a Minecraft server at home as well. I never meant for this cheap router to be my final device - I bought it as a test to see if it could make things more stable (compared to my DSL modem/router) and I planned on buying a better "gaming" router. However this one worked out so well, I never needed anything better. You will not find a better router for $20. Works fine with my VOIP Ooma as well. I hit this thing hard, and it doesn't blink.

Last edited:

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I'm using version 2, and have not flashed it. I looked into it, but the built-in interafce handles all my needs for now.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, v2 is the best version IMHO. It is the version that supports DD-WRT as well, so if you wanted to try a 3rd-party firmware you can. I didn't even bother with the stock firmware, I went straight to DD-WRT.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
what's the advantage of running open firmware such as dd-wrt? I have considered it for my wndr3700v1.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
what's the advantage of running open firmware such as dd-wrt? I have considered it for my wndr3700v1.
Increased functionality (eg. adjusting power levels, OCing) and having a uniform interface across multiple makes/models of routers.

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
hard to say because g signals travel further then n signals, and also if its working right then you should still get more bandwidth then you need with g.

generally though, yes a good n router will give you better results... but 50ft through walls can be tough like i was saying. if anything, get a 5ghz n router and be done with it (5ghz travels even less then regular n or g, but the interference on that spectrum is so much lower it almost always works a lot better) or, add a router in repeater mode to extend the signal you already have...

Uhhh no "Introduced in 2009, the main difference in 802.11n was the presence of 3 more MIMO streams than the other protocols. While all the other protocols used just a single MIMO stream, the 802.11n protocol used 4 MIMO streams. This not only helped in an increase in the range, but also an increase in the data rate."