802.11ac router + 802.11n repeater = bad idea?

Mar 15, 2003
My wifi network has been all but useless in one room on the polar opposite side of where our cable modem/router was installed in our small (less than 1000 sq feet) apartment. I'm guessing it's because this apartment's built to cold-war standards, concrete and steel everywhere like a bomb shelter.

Our current set up that's usable but inconsistent (can check our email but hd streaming is flaky in one room):

Office (opposite side of the apartment from the flaky bedroom): Apple airport extreme (802.11n)

living room repeater: 802.11n airport express

Oddly, connection quality was worse when I moved the repeater into our bedroom with the flaky connection

New setup
Office: asus 802.11ac router (ac1750)

The question is, would using an 802.11n repeater act as a bottle neck? If so, would I be better off just getting a 2nd 802.11ac router as a repeater, or are those "wireless extender" wall warts better?

Of note, it seems like everyone and their mother in this apartment building has a wifi router (or cordless phone?), I'm counting over a dozen available networks - I"m sure congestion is an issue too (my bluetooth speakers drop connection, which never happened at my old apartment)

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
IMHO, wireless repeater=last resort

The first reason is that it cuts the bandwidth in half right up front. That's the nature of a wireless repeater.

You'd be better off running the AP off of a powerline extender as long as the electrical wiring is in any kind of good shape.

Mar 15, 2003
IMHO, wireless repeater=last resort

The first reason is that it cuts the bandwidth in half right up front. That's the nature of a wireless repeater.

You'd be better off running the AP off of a powerline extender as long as the electrical wiring is in any kind of good shape.

Hmm, had no idea repeaters cuts bandwidth in half.

Powerline - question: I suppose I could keep my new 802.11ac router in the office and powerline a connection directly to my bedroom. Would hooking up my 802.11n apple router (it's a 5g router, isn't 802.11ac on the same band?) in ap mode cause needless airwave congestion, or would it live happily with the 802.11ac?