800 votes separate Bush and Gore in Fla!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SJ

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well looky there. With 18 counties left, Bush is back up by 1700+ votes. Well thats what some dweb with MSNBC said that the AP was reporting. Dunno. But it does look like Bush will win the recount.

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Russ, you are right. My comments were more directed towards Isla's feeling that she had be attacked (whether deserved or not). With all of the political rhetoric being presented here in the past weeks, I find it challenging to follow each thread.

I feel that Isla's comments are appreciated on this board. It was my feeble attempt to defend her as a person without regards to the message. For that, she will have to defend herself.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Isla: I really enjoy reading your posts, but I think Michael is correct in his estimation in his last post. If you had wanted that to be a sarcastic comment or wanted people to take it as humor, then there should have been a smiley or a wink in it.

The world will not end with either Bush or Gore as President, even though I think Gore's election would be one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

;) <---see? :D

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Staying fairly constent at around +800 for Bush. I promissed to call my wife as soon as there was final news (she works as a prison Doc and doesn't have easy access to news during the day).

Michael

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Yes, I made a mistake in judgement when I posted that; much of it stemmed from my horror at reading through the other political threads. I have heard so much hate and name calling here in the past few days that I found myself REFLECTING IT, and my last comment was about HOW SICKENED I was at my own reactions. Sorry I missed the emoticon part, it all happened too fast.

However, I am not the first person here to make such a mistake in judgement, nor will I be the last. Either way, I do not think it deserved such a personal attack.

Russ: Frankly, I thought your post pretending to have testicular cancer the other day was just as reprehensible. However, I was THRILLED that most people quickly responded to console you rather than flame you. I noticed that you were not expecting such an outpouring of support. I wonder why? Since I am getting a spanking, there is yours from me.

Too many people around here feel like they are judge and jury. Too many people here feel it is there duty to smack down others at every given opportunity. Fortunately, there are also people I have met here are truly caring and intelligent people.

Now, I have said several times that I am sorry for my original post. I was trying to make a point in the middle of a shark feeding frenzy. The people here who have taken the time to get to know me, know my intentions.

Funny thing: Last night I had a dream!

I dreamed that I was sitting in a theater, and for some reason lit up a cigarette (I don't smoke). When I realized what I had done, I put it out, stood up and made an apology. However, the scornful looks and judgemental reactions made a strong impression on me. I made my speech and left the theater.

At this point, I am not sure if I want to leave the theater, but I am surprised at how, after trying (poorly) to point out the hateful nature of the threads lately, I managed to become a poster child for hate-monging.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Isla,
I just found this thread, don't let these assholes and small minded idiots chase you away. Take these people for what they are and move on. You are a much bigger and smarter person than 90% of the freaks that post on this BBS and don't ever forget it. This is a political season and the arguments can get ugly, I am positive that in the future you will see these people for what they are and less for what they say. :)

Regards,
SHUX

SJ

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Guess I was hearing things. I really do think that is will be a 250 or less margin victory for Bush.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
ty RED. BTW like the new sig but shouldn't there by a line in there for DickBelig? :D

SHUX

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
I'm sorry, but everyone should just calm down and take a deep breath...

Regardless of who wins the election and who supports who, the worst possible outcome for us here would be if longtime members reach a point where online friendships and relationships are damaged, or destroyed before they had a chance to begin.

That may sound all wishy-washy, but whatever. No political election is worth tearing up parts of our little online community.

I'm not thinking of anyone in particular - just everyone relax, breathe, and let's let this thread go. There are plenty of less emotionally charged political threads to continue discussing the events in...

Blackhawk2

May 1, 2000
<<Too many people around here feel like they are judge and jury. Too many people here feel it is there duty to smack down others at every given opportunity. Fortunately, there are also people I have met here are truly caring and intelligent people.
>>

Isla, unfortunately this is a statement of judgement in itself suggesting that only people that you approve are caring and intelligent. Unfortunately the I am innocent look doesn't work :)

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Yes, Blackhawk, let's keep this going, shall we?

Sorry my apology WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU.

EDIT: Can someone find me a script with the exact right words to say here? What is going to make you happy? Do I need to be completely without dignity to be forgiven? Fine, I'm crawling out the door now.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
I'll support whoever wins, even if it isn't the one I want. I just want to know exactly who won. None of this, I meant to vote or there was a missing ballot box crap.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< None of this, I meant to vote or there was a missing
ballot box crap.
>>

Here's a novel approach, targeted re-election, meaning that the registrar has the signatures of the people that did vote, let those that did vote do it with better ballots. Gee that sounds so &quot;unfair&quot;. :|

SHUX

Blackhawk2

May 1, 2000
<<There are so many other interesting posts to read, why waste time on ones not worthy?>>

Hail to Red Dawn the almighty who will decide what is worthy and unworthy of reading :)

Anyone see a small resemblance of Hitler?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Shux

The problem is that many who voted legitimately for Nader would be allowed to change their vote to Gore. That's giving them a second chance. And if they get a second chance to change their vote after seeing the outcome of the election, why doesn't everyone in the country get that luxury?

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< The problem is that many who voted legitimately for Nader would be allowed to change their vote to Gore. That's giving them a second chance.
And if they get a second chance to change their vote after seeing the outcome of the election, why doesn't everyone in the country get that
luxury?
>>

I do see your point. but I do see the point that &quot;something&quot; was/is bizarre with what happened in the deciding county in the deciding state of the most powerful position of the most powerful country on the planet. I would hope and pray that the good of america is put before the Polititics of the parties and so far I only see that this has become a line in the sand to decide which party is going to win. This does america and the people of america no justice and will call into question the legitimacy of either canidate. :(

SHUX

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Isla, on your way crawling out the door,

bite him on the ankle....

Blackhawk2

May 1, 2000
<<No, more a resemblance to the MstherFscker who will make your God Damned stay here miserable if you ever compare me to Adolph Hitler again. I edited my post to say what I said it was nothing personal. Learn to read asshole!>>

Red Dawn nothing personal = a@@hole? Call me names if you like but at least don't pretend it was nothing personal.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, the president really does not have that great of an impact on our daily lives. Build (or join) the government you want from local on up, and you will achieve more pleasing results. The senate and house of reps make many decisions which can impact the environment also.

Blackhawk2

May 1, 2000
Red Dawn the one before the reference to Hitler:

<<There are so many other interesting posts to read, why waste time on ones not worthy?>>

You inferred that my posts aren't worth reading, that was a personal attack.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Isla: I don't see that an apology is necessary, and I don't see it as necessary for me to accept one as I wasn't offended in any way. A misunderstanding is just that, and that's what this needs to be chalked up as. Perhaps cooler heads will prevail after everyone sits back and has a glass of wine.

That's my plan at least. ;)