800 votes separate Bush and Gore in Fla!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000

*Edit - you know what? Nevermind. It doesn't serve any purpose and I'm just really tired of defending myself and my right to vote for whoever the hell I want without feeling like I'm killing babies and alligators.

What a swell commentary this turned out to be. :(

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Isla,

Probably as much as you enjoyed calling those who do not agree with you poisoners of children.

The "mentally competant" comment was more over the top than I originally intended, but the whole "I speak for the trees and the animals" approach really ticks me off. Plus I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter and your comment about children really ticked me off.

Everyone that was eligible to vote had an opportunity to do so. I'm willing to accept the results and do not think that my one view (not vote because I'm not a citizen yet) overrules the majority.

Michael

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
That's okay Micheal, you took my bait.

I was just expressing my views.... don't remember personally attacking anyone. I don't remember calling anyone who didn't agree with me 'poisoners of children'... You would have to read into what I wrote and interpret that. I did say smug and self-righteous, but that is mild compared to a lot of the other stuff I have heard.

Anyway, time for me to turn off the computer and walk away for a while. I have never really witnessed anything this ugly on so big a scale.

Every time I look in one of these threads, they are full of people expressing their views, getting attacked, and then turning around and attacking other people (heh heh, do unto others!).

Anyway, peace to all. I'm going down into my fallout shelter now...

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
That was a weak comeback. I "took your bait"? HAHAHAHAHA.

So either your whole post (and all of your previous posts) are simply trolls and you should be ignored by everyone or you meant what you said.

Which is true?

Michael

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
What is true is that I wanted to see what would happen if I expressed my views.

I usually don't speak much about such things because I see how people get ripped apart for it.

Does that answer your question?

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Ok. And I expressed my views on your views. Why act all wounded? You've never met me and if your views are as valid as you claim, why do you care what I think?

I fully agree with and defend your right to express your views. I think I have the same right.

Michael

fdiskboy

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
Isla,

You can't have it both ways.

And the oldest "rhetoric" trick in the book is to say something like,

"I'm not saying that Al Gore is a shiftless despicable baby-killer...."

Because then you have only implied it and left yourself an out. If you intend to be
inflammatory, don't expect for your remarks to go unheeded.

I think Bush, Gore, Nader and all the other candidates would agree with the things you voiced. Do you disagree?

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Isla,

I also am holding back on the off hand chance that I am hurting the feelings of a stranger. It didn't seem to impede you in your original post.

I think you missed ChrichtonsGirl's point. I read it as she is tired of being labeled as a baby killer by people like you just because she voted one way instead of another.

Michael

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
I'm talking about PERSONAL ATTACKS. There is a difference between stating your views in an albeit emotional way and actually lobbing word bombs and insults at an individual.

I have not personally attacked anyone. You may take what I have said personally, but I have not singled you out, and I will not.

Now, I do not belong here. I am not even going to pretend to! I am not even going to try to debate with you guys about this stuff. It's not my thing, never has been, never will be.

It's time for me to go hang out and bake some cookies.

PS: No need to defend CGirl... She and I are on the same page.

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000
Yes Michael, that was part of my point. No matter who I voted for, I don't need to be made to feel like I voted "wrong" - but it goes both ways. We're all (not singling anyone out here) getting so personally involved that we've managed to convince ourselves that only people who agree with us and voted just like us are right. Everyone else is somehow stupid because they didn't have a proper grasp of the issues, or they are partisan...heaven forbid we each had our own reasons for voting the way we did.

This is not to say that people who couldn't figure the ballots out weren't stupid - but I'd say the same thing if they were voting for Bush and accidentally voted for Nader or something.

Hey Isla - what kind are you making? I'm trying to decide if I should start a "Do you fart in the bathtub" poll or do some ironing.

64bitloopy

Banned
Oct 11, 2000
I'll vote for Isla.

Why can't we all just get along.

It's going to the lawyers, so the recount really doesn't matter.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Thanks for saying it better than me, CGirl. I should NEVER have stepped into this, and for that I am sorry. I respect everyone's opinion here, and am all for encouraging unity... I am sorry for participating in the fighting. :(

Now, can you send me your best cookie recipe?

;)

64bitloopy

Banned
Oct 11, 2000
I think the lot of you are funny. You base your ideals off of hollow campaign promises that you should know will never happen. You vote for the lesser of two evils in your own mind.
Honestly, you people need to wake up and realize what is going on in this country, and stop pandering to these idiotic beliefs.

You guys act like your concerned but what do you do bsides sit here on the internet and type your little lifes away? How are you affecting change? What do you do besides go out and vote one day, and then spout crap the rest of the time about who you voted for in the election.

Things have to change. We need to look at ourselves and see that this election is making us look stupid. We are the best act center stage in a world wide comedy.

I hope you guys are truly happy.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Don't worry Isla. You did the BB a service. You exposed another right wing bigot who likes to pick on women.

What a wuss! :|

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ignore them Isla. Myself and the rest of the board appreciate your comments and views.

This thread reminds me of what dawg was talking about here

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Tripleshot - Are you referring to me "right wing bigot that likes to pick on women"?

Just checking.

In case you are, can you please pick out the words in my post that are:

1) Right-wing?
2) Bigoted (actually, that's not hard, anyone with an opinion is "bigoted")?
3) Picking on a woman?

thanks,

Michael

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
PG,

Your post was far too subtle. Bore apologists require that it be spelled out in order to grasp difficult concepts.

Even if the count dropped to negative a few hundred for Bush, Bore still loses. See signature.

Russ, NCNE

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
IBhacknU,

This thread is nothing like that thread. Michael is a long-time, respected member of this board who has made his bones. He may not post 4000 times a day like some of us, but he is certainly NOT like those twoddlers that were attacking GF.

And, Isla's statements were nothing but radical left mantra with ZERO factual foundation. She might as well have quoted the Sierra Club handbook. She deserved to be called on it.

Russ, NCNE

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000

<< I think I am going to go puke now. >>

That was my subtle attempt at sarcasm. Apparently it was too subtle.

Quite frankly, I dislike any extreme veiwpoint. The world is not black and white.

Again, my bad for getting into this to begin with.

:disgust:

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
I'm Typing, is that really you? Are you feeling OK?

Can someone go check on I'm Typing and make sure he's OK?

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ALL RIGHT! Whoever you are that took over Typing's computer, give it back to him, now!

Russ, NCNE

fdiskboy

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
Actually Tripleshot just insulted most of the women I know personally by suggesting that
they are not able to stand up for themselves.

Are they powerless?

I was raised to believe that women are equal, at least intellectually.

Do you believe differently?

I have not seen any bigoted statements in this thread with the exception of yours.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Isla,

I read your last sentence to express your extreme emotional reaction to the fact that it appears that Bush won. The rest of your post is an opinionated rant that demonizes those who think or vote different than you.

At no point have I posted an opinion on who to vote for. I am not a US citizen (I live in the US and have applied for it) and I do not consider it polite to interfere in an election where I cannot vote.

I came into this thread originally because my wife is distraught about the very real possibility that Gore has lost. She cried for quite a while on election night and I have been trying to help her get as much information as possible. She grew up in a town not too far from Witchita, KS and her family was one of the few Democratic families in the area. For years she has stood up to social pressure from Republican neighbours. I found a great link to Fox News with the county by county recounts in this thread and she and I went over the results with her last night.

This morning I came across your post. I honestly have not seen a post so filled with hate in quite a while, at least one that wasn't upfront about it. I think your argument that it wasn't &quot;personal&quot; is a debating trick. There is no way it could not be personal to anyone who does not agree with your points. It is loaded with terms like &quot;rape&quot;.

If you did not intend your post to be a &quot;hate&quot; post, then I think you have made a great error in your choice of words. It is not a plea for unity, it is a blow against working together.

Michael

ps - I grew up in Montreal, Quebec and my parents (who now live in NJ) have a retirement home in Florida. I'll be visiting Florida at least once every couple of years. So I have a family interest in what happens. I now live in the Silicon Valley area which is a case study on the problems of extreme growth. I take the train in as many days a week as I can (one less car on the road), recycle religiously, and use a ceramic coffee cup to cut down on waste.