UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/25/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

An 8-year-old boy from Guatemala died in United States custody early Christmas Day, the second death of a child in detention at the southwest border in less than three weeks, raising questions about the ability of federal agents running the crowded migrant border facilities to care for those who fall ill.​
...​
The boy, who has not been named, died just after midnight on Tuesday at a hospital in Alamogordo, N.M., where he and his father had been taken after a Border Patrol agent saw what appeared to be signs of sickness, according to United States Customs and Border Protection. His death follows that of a 7-year-old girl from the same country while also in the custody of the Border Patrol.​
Much about the circumstances of the boy’s death remains unknown. It is not clear whether his condition was attributable to the care he received in the facilities, the result of an arduous journey, or some combination of the two.​
These deaths are becoming a potent and powerful symbol of the ongoing drama about the border. What are your thoughts on these? The article states he was taken to the hospital and there’s no evidence that the detention caused or contributed to the death. And yet it Goes on to highlight that these detention facilities are overcrowded and need funds to expand, provide more medical help, etc. I agree, we need to fund these things properly to adequately serve their mission.

But honestly how can the blame lie on the US or it’s policies or it’s facilities? These families risked their kids lives and brought them on an incredibly dangerous journey through deserts and more than likely comepletely inadequately supplied for the trek. I’m sorry but to me the blame has to lie in the parents for doing so. I understand the decision process of the migrants and wanting to seek a better life, escaping a poor and dangerous country, and all that. But you can’t drag your kids through a very dangerous journey, kid gets sick possibly as a result of your decision to do so (like the one with dehydration), die in US custody, and somehow make that the fault of us? No way.

Its a potent symbol but one that seems misguided. Make a shocking headline that another kid dies in custody at the border but the premise is misguided. The fault lies on the parents for putting their child in such a situation. What are y’alls thoughts?

Reactions: IJTSSG and pcgeek11

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The fault for a child's death always lies with the adults responsible for the child's welfare at the time of death. This is obvious. Anyone who would tell you differently is blatantly lying.
But I do love the usual deceitful logic. "Conditions in the detention centers are inhumane, and children are dying as a result, but that's the parents' fault!"

Last edited:

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Any nurse will tell you that’s not the case. A child can be brought o a hospital with a condition they contracted prior to coming to the hospital. The child is now in the care of the medical staff but they die so it's assumed the fault of the nurse/doc? They were responsible for the child’s welfare at the time they died but the cause of death was something contracted before entering the hospital.

Reactions: IJTSSG

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Waiting to see how they blame this on Hillary Clinton or the incoming democrats.
It needs to be something along the lines of how Obama built the detention centers while at the same time ordering a complete "stand down" on border security.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Any nurse will tell you that’s not the case. A child can be brought o a hospital with a condition they contracted prior to coming to the hospital. The child is now in the care of the medical staff but they die so it's assumed the fault of the nurse/doc? They were responsible for the child’s welfare at the time they died but the cause of death was something contracted before entering the hospital.

How long are these children in ICE custody before being taken to a hospital?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
The previous girl went through a health check on apprehension and showed no signs, but began having seizures 8 hours later caused by dehydration. This was obviously the result of her walking through the damned desert. She was flown to a medical facility and received appropriate healthcare but couldn’t be revived. I’m not sure if the timeline of the both in this article, it says much remains unclear.

The parents brought their children on a highly dangerous journey, all fault lays with them. The US set up a detention center to containnthose crossing illegally and is providing healthcare to them. It’s very tragic and u fortunate but ultimately the parents bear the responsibility even though I’ve heard news reports take the position that somehow it was the fault of the US.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The previous girl went through a health check on apprehension and showed no signs, but began having seizures 8 hours later caused by dehydration. This was obviously the result of her walking through the damned desert. She was flown to a medical facility and received appropriate healthcare but couldn’t be revived. I’m not sure if the timeline of the both in this article, it says much remains unclear.

The parents brought their children on a highly dangerous journey, all fault lays with them. The US set up a detention center to containnthose crossing illegally and is providing healthcare to them. It’s very tragic and u fortunate but ultimately the parents bear the responsibility even though I’ve heard news reports take the position that somehow it was the fault of the US.
And if it is determined that the US government has not been providing proper medical care to these children, you would still blame the parents. Those looking for truth just seek a less biased and more reliable opinion.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Suppose, just suppose, it is discovered that ICE has been cutting costs and withholding not only medical care, but also basic needs like food and water, and this was the cause of the deaths? Which then would be more likely: that you would change your tune about the parents being at fault, or that you would back the government coverup for the sake of your ego and political position? I'm betting on the latter.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Donny is 2 for 2..

His motto: If ya can't fuck them, just kill them..

How many kids have to die before he goes down? Last time it took 6 million Jews.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
OP deeply concerned about how the USA looks in all this. 8 year old dead girl, meh.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Sounds like the health check was less than adequate in the first case. When we as a country elect to detain people in custody we also take on responsibility for their care its as simple as that.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sounds like the health check was less than adequate in the first case. When we as a country elect to detain people in custody we also take on responsibility for their care its as simple as that.

Posters in the other thread wanted to argue that the health screenings are adequate, and when you question the BP's training they respond with "BP agents aren't doctors!"

Painful.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Serious question to the OP.

Do you think these parents take on the journey to the US with their kids lightly or that they don't care about what happens to their kids?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The rationalization that we are negligently letting children in the government's care die but it's alright because (some) of us think their parents were irresponsible is pretty fucking monstrous.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Do you think these parents take on the journey to the US with their kids lightly or that they don't care about what happens to their kids?
They do it as a publicity stunt, obviously.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

When the US incarcerates someone they assume responsibility for their health. If this girl was given a medical screening where she appeared fine only to die of acute symptoms due to extreme dehydration that suggests a woefully inadequate medical screening on the part of the US. While the parents bear some responsibility for the situation no reasonable and objective person could argue the US does not as well.

The next congress and next administration will need to investigate these policies heavily and bring those responsible for these policies to justice.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
If only we had the Wall, then this kid could have died on the other side of the border and this wouldn't be our problem. Fault lies with the Dems.

/s

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

No I don’t think they take it lightly. But they still make that decision to put their kids in dangerous situations and they deserve the blame. We owe these people nothing but are providing beds and food and healthcare (even if one views it as inadequate). I’m not sure what the answer is but I do believe the fault and blame lies on the parents for knowingly putting their kids is such situations.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Well well well .. US, I guess you know where your next batch of terrorists is going going to come from.
Good job.

Where is taj at, this may be his moment, I think you guys are ready to throw then nades...

Feb 16, 2005
No I don’t think they take it lightly. But they still make that decision to put their kids in dangerous situations and they deserve the blame. We owe these people nothing but are providing beds and food and healthcare (even if one views it as inadequate). I’m not sure what the answer is but I do believe the fault and blame lies on the parents for knowingly putting their kids is such situations.
look, you mentally deficient mushroom
The parents are trying to escape/flee/avoid a dangerous situation.
We are supposed to be that shining beacon on a hill, the safe harbor, but no, according to your ignorant, and xenophobic reasoning, it's the parents fault.
go fuck yourself with a goat horn

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

AND with the US for negligent care, no?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The fault for a child's death always lies with the adults responsible for the child's welfare at the time of death.

So you blame the hospitals?

Or, maybe you already recognize that the previous conditions and health status of these kids doomed them to a certain death no matter what happened to them next? And that responsibility lies with those who acted negligently in establishing those conditions in the first place. Not those who had "responsibility" at time of death.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Ever consider the possibility that it's deliberate? That Kirstjen Nielsen ordered a few kids be put to death as part of her "deterrence" thing?

A 46 year old woman with no kids or husband is bound to have a few hidden demons..

Reactions: cytg111