8-27-08: Sen. Stevens wins Alaska primary despite fraud indictments

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
More proof of how brain washed Americans are and how easily McCain can win this November.

These Republican states should break off and form their own countries because they don't belong in America.

8-27-2008 Sen. Stevens wins Alaska primary despite fraud indictments

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Even though he's facing federal charges, Ted Stevens remains feisty as ever. The 84-year-old Republican handily won his primary race for Senate and immediately proclaimed the November election a "piece of cake."

"I'm doing my job," he said. "Alaskans trust me. This is still a Republican state."

Stevens has a September trial that will keep him off the campaign trail for weeks

Stevens won the race Tuesday with 63 percent of the vote

Noel Janda of Anchorage, said he trusts Stevens, calling him a man who is "strictly business" and good for Alaska.

"I don't see anybody out there who is better," Janda said. "We need him in Washington. I don't think we can afford to lose him there."

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh this is kind of like dead people winning an election. I wonder how many people who voted in the primary even know he has been indicted.

Just look at the name, pull the lever.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Indictment is not a conviction.

Innocent until proven Guilty - does that ring a bell.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
dude, it's Alaska.

the more convictions you've got under your belt, the more likely Alaskans are to elect you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While indictment does not equal conviction, Stevens is very very likely to be convicted. He's pretty insanely corrupt.

As far as Dave's latest crazy talk on elections, Stevens won the Republican primary. So what? Sitting senators losing the primary is extremely rare, particularly against a field of 6 competitors instead of one well funded one.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

Not in Dave's America. And apparently, in Dave's America there is only one political party.

Sep 12, 2004
Kind of like Marion "Bitch set me up" Barry getting re-elected in DC. And he WAS convicted.

See, Dave. It's not just the Republicans.

Nov 30, 2006
Dave...here's another reelected scumbag for you...William J. Jefferson (D). Agree...it's amazing how many brain-washed Americans there are.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah and I bet that Detroit mayor who seems to be in jail every other week will be re-elected in a landslide as well.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Kind of like Marion "Bitch set me up" Barry getting re-elected in DC. And he WAS convicted.

See, Dave. It's not just the Republicans.

It's definitely not just the (R)'s and that (Barry) was an embarrassment. It was a sting. That's what they do in a sting for crying out loud! (shakes head)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Guys, an incumbent senator won his primary against 6 poorly funded challengers. This will happen 100% of the time unless Stevens is actually caught in bed with a 10 year old boy. If he wins the actual election after his trial then I'm prepared to dispair about American politics like you guys are. Anyone who looked at the primary knew he was going to win a long time ago, indictment or no.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
Heh this is kind of like dead people winning an election. I wonder how many people who voted in the primary even know he has been indicted.

Just look at the name, pull the lever.

It's kind of sad how easily incumbents win... dead, fraud, etc., who cares! Just vote vote vote without being informed in the least.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
As I remember from the news reports when Stevens was indicted his real test will be in the general election, when he faces a popular (former?) mayor of Anchorage.

I know next to nothing about Alaskan politics, but I imagine the prospect of Alaska electiing a Democratic senator would be a historic event.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
These Republican states should break off and form their own countries because they don't belong in America.

Don't ever visit the wonderful State of Tennessee that is under control of the Democrats. Lets see the Tennessee Higway Patrol and ultimtely the governer are being investigated for abusing power for political purposes. The feds have finally finished sending a number of democratic state senators to jail for fraud and bribery. the heralded uncle of Harold Ford jr was recently sentenced and is on trial for another scam he was running that netted him $800,000 for handing out contracts with the state.

A criminal is a criminal. Doesn't matter if they call themselves a republican or democrat.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
"I don't see anybody out there who is better," Janda said. "We need him in Washington. I don't think we can afford to lose him there."

Well you are. Stevens is 84. He's leaving office either way very shortly. In handcuffs would be a nice way to end his 3 decade career.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Yes somewhat pregnant with weird for Stevens who faces at least a month long trial that may net him jail time. I wonder if GWB would pardon him, but he still would be skating on thin ice, because any new felonies after a pardon would not be covered. But if the verdict ends up being guilty, I doubt even Stevens could win the general election.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

A simple Google search shows that the documented depth and breadth of his corruption is so stark that I doubt you've read any of the accounts of what Stevens is known to have done.

If Alaskans are stupid enough to re-elect him, he'll soon be tossed out of the Senate, and they'll be stuck with the cost of replacing him and the public embarrassment of proving how lame they are.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Hey dipshit, the south already tried that once. Try remedial history, moron.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Guys, an incumbent senator won his primary against 6 poorly funded challengers. This will happen 100% of the time unless Stevens is actually caught in bed with a 10 year old boy. If he wins the actual election after his trial then I'm prepared to dispair about American politics like you guys are. Anyone who looked at the primary knew he was going to win a long time ago, indictment or no.

The fact that Stevens' victory was a foreseeable event does not make it any less deplorable. A vote for the corrupt piece of trash is inexcusable, and Alaskans who voted for him should be ashamed of themselves.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I will give this to you, it's quite insane that this guy just won a primary. This just goes back to support my assertion that most people have no moral right to vote. Legal, sure, but should they? NO, stop exerting stupidity on the rest of us.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: eskimospy

The fact that Stevens' victory was a foreseeable event does not make it any less deplorable. A vote for the corrupt piece of trash is inexcusable, and Alaskans who voted for him should be ashamed of themselves.

The dude delivered a $250M in funds for a bridge to an uninhabited island. Crooked he may be, but he shows them the money!

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Bridge to nowhere: Alaskans don't care about corruption, as long as they get the loot reward from the rest of America taxpayers money?

Makes you question about the brains of average Americans.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey

A simple Google search shows that the documented depth and breadth of his corruption is so stark that I doubt you've read any of the accounts of what Stevens is known to have done.

If Alaskans are stupid enough to re-elect him, he'll soon be tossed out of the Senate, and they'll be stuck with the cost of replacing him and the public embarrassment of proving how lame they are.

I am not questioning what is documented. What I am questioning is the fact that he is being convicted without a trial and jury of his peers.

In a court of law, he is innocent until brought to trial and found guilty by a jury. That jury is NOT the court of public opinion.

As others have posted in this thread; it is suspicious to find many thousands of $$ bills in a freezer or to have a bag of white stuff in your glove box.

Yet you have the inalienable right to be considered innocent in the legal sense until actually convicted of breaking the law by a trial of your peers.

People complain the the government is taking away rights; yet they are so willing to deny rights to others of innocent until proven guilty. This is not Europe where the opposite is true.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey

I am not questioning what is documented. What I am questioning is the fact that he is being convicted without a trial and jury of his peers.

In a court of law, he is innocent until brought to trial and found guilty by a jury. That jury is NOT the court of public opinion.

As others have posted in this thread; it is suspicious to find many thousands of $$ bills in a freezer or to have a bag of white stuff in your glove box.

Yet you have the inalienable right to be considered innocent in the legal sense until actually convicted of breaking the law by a trial of your peers.

People complain the the government is taking away rights; yet they are so willing to deny rights to others of innocent until proven guilty. This is not Europe where the opposite is true.

Sorry, no one has the RIGHT to be voted in to office. The issue is why people would vote someone in to office with so much damning evidence against him or her.