7W ivy bridge

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Has anand been asleep at the wheel? I've read nothing about intel's new 7 watt ("cTDP Down" or "scenario design power") cpus. I've read next to nothing about 7 watt cpus. Does anyone have any data or benchmarks or anything about them?

I would think the i3-3229Y would make for a very nice ultraportable.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I think its 7W "scenario design power" is just marketing-speak: its actual TDP is 10W.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Has anand been asleep at the wheel? I've read nothing about intel's new 7 watt ("cTDP Down" or "scenario design power") cpus. I've read next to nothing about 7 watt cpus. Does anyone have any data or benchmarks or anything about them?

I would think the i3-3229Y would make for a very nice ultraportable.

cTDP down is different from Scenario Design Power. Also its 10W with cTDPdown, the 7W is one mode below that.

I think the key to new power modes like cTDP and Scenario Design Power is that systems have to be designed for worst-case scenarios.

There's probably a real world usage relevance to Scenario Design Power that they have yet to explain.

If it means as it says, I think one possibility is this:

Imagine running a Core chip on Android or iOS. Why would you do that I don't know, but because you don't have "big" applications there it would be practically impossible to stress the CPU. In that "Scenario" you can run at even lower frequency and be perfectly fine.

If you put that same chip on Windows, you have to design for TDP because then that is the WORST case scenario.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Are there any reviews of any ivy bridge chips configured for 10W? I would very much like to know what kind of performance they can give when capped at 10W, especially with light gaming. (like WoW @ 720p.)

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Are there any reviews of any ivy bridge chips configured for 10W? I would very much like to know what kind of performance they can give when capped at 10W, especially with light gaming. (like WoW @ 720p.)

No, cause they don't exist. The new models are coming early next year. The power specs are 13W TDP/10W cTDPdown/7W Scenario Design Power(whatever that is). The current Ivy Bridge 17W chips can be configured to 13 or 14 watts. There's only one system out there that uses cTDP at all(Sony Vaio Duo 11, but for cTDPup on the i7 version).

The cTDP is meant for Convertible Ultrabooks, but right now there still are only few models out there.

pablo87

Nov 5, 2012
Would SDP be the opposite of turbo? Would make sense and ends up being an alternative to big little.